Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Gattis Traded To Astros (pg. 13)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Oh my God.
    So it's just a coincidence that he rejoins the organization less than a month after Wren is fired?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not likely. It's obvious we are getting back to the way we ran things 10 years ago. And that way was to load up on pitching, and use our deep core of pitching as currency in trades. It also allows us to spend less money on the rotation, and more money on hitting, since we should have a steady supply of pitching to replace pitchers we may lose.

And that is smart to me. We develop pitching well. Might as well stick to doing what you do best, and use that to help you fix the areas that you don't develop well.
    Yeah, because we never developed guys like Gant, Justice, Blauser, Chipper, Andruw, Klesko, or Javy.

Regardless of what the Johns tell you, we've been running our organization the same way all along. By developing good young pitching AND position players and trading whatever surplus we have to fill holes and put us over the top. We're actually now getting away from what we've done since the early 1990's.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Wait, your excuse is that there was no major league talent in the Royals? Moore was hired back in June of 2006. It took him over 6 years to get a team over .500. We drafted and traded Jason Heyward in less time than that.
    With the state of their farm, their major league team, and basically no money to bring in outside talent, yeah that's pretty respectable. I don't believe you realize just how poorly run that franchise was before Moore took over. He basically had to rebuild that franchise and it's farm from the ground up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So it's just a coincidence that he rejoins the organization less than a month after Wren is fired?
    You'd believe our front office if they told you the Earth was flat. I love how you are joining the chorus and acting like Wren was the sole reason WE HAD ONE BAD SEASON IN 6 YEARS.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (01-15-2015), bravesnumberone (01-14-2015), jpx7 (01-15-2015), Julio3000 (01-14-2015), Prikichi (01-14-2015), sturg33 (01-14-2015)

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    All I will say is that farm systems aren't the end all be all. Royals have had top farm systems for years and finally had one good seaseon. Rebuilding can take a long time and it looks like that is the road the Braves are going down. Now that might be the best course of action but the 2017 notion that Hart and others have talked about is just ignorant. The team will not be ready to win by the time the new stadium opens.
    Reason why royals didn't become good instantaneously was that they actually brought many young player into big league team and it took time. What Braves can do prior to 17 season is use prospects for trades and become good immediately (see what Padres did this year).

Have a strong farm gives the team options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You'd believe our front office if they told you the Earth was flat. I love how you are joining the chorus and acting like Wren was the sole reason WE HAD ONE BAD SEASON IN 6 YEARS.
    One bad season? Didn't we win 79 games in one of his first years (not that it was his fault).

But again, was it just a coincidence Clark came back so quicklh?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    With the state of their farm, their major league team, and basically no money to bring in outside talent, yeah that's pretty respectable. I don't believe you realize just how poorly run that franchise was before Moore took over. He basically had to rebuild that franchise and it's farm from the ground up.
    SO he joined them after 2006 draft, going into the 2007 season, they were the 11th ranked organizational talent according to BA.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    One bad season? Didn't we win 79 games in one of his first years (not that it was his fault).

But again, was it just a coincidence Clark came back so quicklh?
    Can you not read? And even two bad seasons in 7 years is ridiculous nitpicking.

So, what? It says more about Schuerholz and our organization as a whole that they let Wren run off our entire scouting department, if that's indeed what happened. But, let's absolve King John from any blame. It's all Wren's fault.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-15-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Thethe has been doagnosed with ex-Bravesitis.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Mark Bowman
    @mlbbowman
    The #Braves & #Astros have completed the framework for the trade. Gattis and RHP James Hoyte go to HOU for the 3 aforementioned prospects.

Mark Bowman
    @mlbbowman
    All indications are that the Astros were comfortable with what they saw after Gattis' physical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

So, what? It says more about Schuerholz and our organization as a whole that they let Wren run off our entire scouting department, if that's indeed what happened. But, let's absolve King John from any blame. It's all Wren's fault.
    I think it shows that they actually gave Wren the power as they should have since he was the GM. Whatever the case it we finally have the scouting department where it needs to be and that more than any individual player has me confidentify about the future.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Hate to see Hoyte go.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Mark Bowman
    @mlbbowman
    The #Braves continued to talk to the Rangers about Gattis until just a few hours ago.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I'm sorry, and I may be (know I am) the minority in saying this, but I don't see why everyone thinks our offense is automatically going to be worse (if that is possible) than it was last year. Here's why:

Are people assuming that since we traded away two of our power bats, that our offense is going to be worse? As the old saying goes "There's more than one way to skin a cat" why do we have to have guys to hit home runs to score runs? We've taken this approach for the last 3-4 years and have nothing to show for it. Why not take the approach of: Let's get guys who get on-base at the top of our lineup and then guys who put the ball in play (high contact rate with low strikeout rate) in the middle of the order as run producers. So instead of having guys who can hit 25+ homers but strikeout 150+ times, we have guys who are going to hit 10-15 homers (maybe 15-20 if lucky) but only strikeout less than 100 times per year.

In the end, should it matter how the runs are scored whether it be by home runs (in the past) or by getting hits with RISP, as long as they are scored? With us having more guys with higher OBP, shouldn't we have more opportunities to score runs?

Ideally, wouldn't a trade for Allen Craig be ideal now? For these reasons:

1. Shouldn't cost much
    2. Can play LF (a better defender than Gattis) and protect Freeman in the order
    3. Is under club control thru 2017 with a team option for 2018
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    I'm sorry, and I may be (know I am) the minority in saying this, but I don't see why everyone thinks our offense is automatically going to be worse (if that is possible) than it was last year. Here's why:

Are people assuming that since we traded away two of our power bats, that our offense is going to be worse? As the old saying goes "There's more than one way to skin a cat" why do we have to have guys to hit home runs to score runs? We've taken this approach for the last 3-4 years and have nothing to show for it. Why not take the approach of: Let's get guys who get on-base at the top of our lineup and then guys who put the ball in play (high contact rate with low strikeout rate) in the middle of the order as run producers. So instead of having guys who can hit 25+ homers but strikeout 150+ times, we have guys who are going to hit 10-15 homers (maybe 15-20 if lucky) but only strikeout less than 100 times per year.

In the end, should it matter how the runs are scored whether it be by home runs (in the past) or by getting hits with RISP, as long as they are scored? With us having more guys
    with higher OBP, shouldn't we have more opportunities to score runs?

1. Shouldn't cost much
    High contact rate and low strikeout rate =\= high on base percentage. Pass the pipe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Yeah stupid Wren, everyone and everything he touched turned to dook. John Coppolella wasn't brought in by Wren, he was brought in by Bobby Cox wearing his Frank Wren mask.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    I think it shows that they actually gave Wren the power as they should have since he was the GM. Whatever the case it we finally have the scouting department where it needs to be and that more than any individual player has me confidentify about the future.
    JS is the President. Letting someone "run your organization in the ground" is flat-out irresponsible.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (01-14-2015), sc1767 (01-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    JS is the President. Letting someone "run your organization in the ground" is flat-out irresponsible.
    Hard to stop it when the team is winning (mainly because of talent that was inherited)
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post

In the end, should it matter how the runs are scored whether it be by home runs (in the past) or by getting hits with RISP, as long as they are scored? With us having more guys with higher OBP, shouldn't we have more opportunities to score runs?

1. Shouldn't cost much
    Our offense will almost certainly be significantly worse than last year.

2B should be better, but not by much. 3B could be better, SS could be better, C will be much much worse, LF will be much much worse, RF will be much worse. CF who knows.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Our offense will almost certainly be significantly worse than last year.

2B should be better, but not by much. 3B could be better, SS could be better, C will be much much worse, LF will be much much worse, RF will be much worse. CF who knows.
    The only two that will be worse will be catcher and left field (and that is still uncertain since we don't know who will be in left). How will RF be much worse? Defensively.. yes! Offensively.. not worse at all, maybe a bit better.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"