Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 3110

Thread: Around Baseball 2015 Edition

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    He's in the bottom half of qualified second basement. And is also ahead of folks like Cano, Walker, Utley, Murphy - which may or may not continue.

But regardless - the overall point is that WAR isn't created equally.
    Does it matter at all to you that he makes the minimum?

I don't know what the moving standard is.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Does it matter at all to you that he makes the minimum?

I don't know what the moving standard is.
    Of course... I like Jace a lot - and we're getting great value for him.

But I would much rather have kept Upton, and found a different second basemen (like Jose Peraza). Do you agree?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    You really shouldn't use qualified playes as to say whether someone is better than half or not. There are 30 teams. Whether that team is using platoons, has injuries, and plays a lot of people because they are ineffective it doesn't matter. If for example you are 8th in WAR at a position in a given year even if there are only 15 qualified players I wouldn't consider them average at the position. I would think they are in the top 3rd.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    Who could have easily played 2B
    Easily???

Have you seen KJ play 2b recently? It would be surprising if you had, considering he's played all of like 25 games total at 2b over the last 3 years.
    Last edited by Carp; 06-10-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You really shouldn't use qualified playes as to say whether someone is better than half or not. There are 30 teams. Whether that team is using platoons, has injuries, and plays a lot of people because they are ineffective it doesn't matter. If for example you are 8th in WAR at a position in a given year even if there are only 15 qualified players I wouldn't consider them average at the position. I would think they are in the top 3rd.
    Fine - Peterson ranks in the top 45% of MLB 2B

Upton ranks in the top 10% of MLB LF

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    As far as thethe's comments about Jace's dWAR. I'm not surprised but it can't go both ways. Either you believe in dWAR or you don't. It can't fit your argument on a case by case basis. Right now Jace is performing a at high level on 2B defense. The real question is if that's just SSS or a real look at his ability there. And that's something we won't know for awhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    As far as thethe's comments about Jace's dWAR. I'm not surprised but it can't go both ways. Either you believe in dWAR or you don't. It can't fit your argument on a case by case basis. Right now Jace is performing a at high level on 2B defense. The real question is if that's just SSS or a real look at his ability there. And that's something we won't know for awhile.
    It's has more to do with that I think defense at second base is more important than LF And RF although I'm coming around on RF in the post Heyward era.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Fine - Peterson ranks in the top 45% of MLB 2B

Upton ranks in the top 10% of MLB LF
    Yeah. I mean really it's all semantics. You are correct in that it should be easier, right now, to find a 2B in the range that Peterson provides then a LF in the range that Upton provides. And that has value too even if they are only seprated by a half a win or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,827 Posts
    Jace has made some great plays but to me he often looks very awkward and clunky out there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Can't you just watch him play though? I mean the eye test backs up the stats. He's looked awfully good out there.
    thank you weso1!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It's has more to do with that I think defense at second base is more important than LF And RF although I'm coming around on RF in the post Heyward era.
    See. If you have that opinion you can't really base your thinking that Jace is close to Upton in value because of dWAR. The whole point of that stat is runs saved is equal across all positions.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Can't you just watch him play though? I mean the eye test backs up the stats. He's looked awfully good out there.
    Players can look really good in short peroids. Both offensively and defensively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    See. If you have that opinion you can't really base your thinking that Jace is close to Upton in value because of dWAR. The whole point of that stat is runs saved is equal across all positions.
    But if I think defense at second base contributes more to wins and losses than defense in LF shouldn't I consider it?
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,314 Posts
    Of course... I like Jace a lot - and we're getting great value for him.

But I would much rather have kept Upton, and found a different second basemen (like Jose Peraza). Do you agree?
    I don't think Justin is worth 25 million a season so if that is the price then I would feel much better trading him.

The Upton trade has been fantastic so far. Jace has proved that at, the very least, he's an exceptional utility player who is a borderline average starting second baseman. Mallex has emerged as a decent CF option that could be excellent if he improved his defense. Dustin Peterson has an .860 OPS in A+ and is very young for his age. We don't even need Fried to come back healthy to salvage this deal from a value stand point, but if he does then it was an absolute homerun. We have 4 potential starting caliber players from that trade.

At the time of the trade I didn't like it, but, in hindsight, I would make that trade 10 out of 10 times.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-10-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Players can look really good in short peroids. Both offensively and defensively.
    I'm not sure you can fake defense in the infield that Jace is playing right now. He has been really good out there and since he is a great athlete I feel like he will only improve with more reps.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,827 Posts
    But if I think defense at second base contributes more to wins and losses than defense in LF shouldn't I consider it?
    No... bc it's about runs saved

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    First off...Heyward was declining as a hitter as you tell from his power numbers. He wanted to get paid as if he were an impact bat along with a defensive stud. he should only get paid for being a defensive stud and a capable bat.
    How much did he want to get paid?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I don't think Justin is worth 25 million a season so if that is the price then I would feel much better trading him.

The Upton trade has been fantastic so far. Jace has proved that at, the very least, he's an exceptional utility player who is a borderline average starting second baseman. Mallex has emerged as a decent CF option that could be excellent if he improved his defense. Dustin Peterson has an .860 OPS in A+ and is very young for his age. We don't even need Fried to come back healthy to salvage this deal from a value stand point, but if he does then it was an absolute homerun. We have 4 potential starting caliber players from that trade.

At the time of the trade I didn't like it, but, in hindsight, I would make that trade 10 out of 10 times.
    All for one year of Upton and a supplemental first round pick. Chad Mcdonald was a great addition to the organization. Wonder if that was Hart or JS who brought him here
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,827 Posts
    I'm not sure you can fake defense in the infield that Jace is playing right now. He has been really good out there and since he is a great athlete I feel like he will only improve with more reps.
    He has been good but I still think he looks awkward sometimes out there... He also gets to a lot of balls by stopping them but doesn't make the play - either by not catching them cleanly or having a strong enough arm. These aren't easy plays by any streatch of the imagination - but he's not Simmons

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    If you want to, sure. But that's not what dWAR is saying and ultimately WAR in general is telling us. Again, those positions that are 'more important' defefnsively get that added into WAR.