Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mets Non-Tender EY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    My point was that we have hardly anyone in our minor league system (Terdo, Hunter, Cunningham, and Constanza) who would be a better option -In my opinion- in LF.
    I'm a little more positive on those guys. I think there is a decent chance one of them is going to step up in 2014. I have one of those four in particular who I would pick as most likely to surprise to the upside in 2015 among all our fringe prospects.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-02-2014 at 10:27 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-02-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    As could Everth Cabrera... can serve as our 2B until Peraza is ready and then when he is, simply have Cabrera as a 2B/SS/3B bench piece who can swipe you a bag. Who knows, he could maybe even learn the OF during ST.
    This is a great idea IMO, much better than starting EY in left field. I believe Hunter and Joey T are better options in a starting role than EY and his around .600-.650 OPS would be for us. We shouldn't be too quick to give on Joey T and Hunter is likely to surprise some IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm a little more positive on those guys. I think there is a decent chance one of them is going to step up in 2014. I have one of those four in particular who I would pick as most likely to surprise to the upside in 2015 among all our fringe prospects.
    Exactly. I really like Hunter the best personally but I am not giving up on Joey T so fast either. Joey did well his late call-up last year too (small sample I know).

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    If Gattis and Justin are traded who plays LF?? Assuming BJ in CF, and Almonte in RF. (Yikes!!!!)
    If this team has the intention of moving both Gattis and J. Upton my hope is that they would then go trawing at the bottom of the barrel for true bargain bits -- indy league talents, japan/korea, rule v, etc. I think of previous successes in this realm like Julio Franco, Beachy, Ligtenberg, Campillo, etc.

Give the players acquired a season to percolate, make some deadline deals, invest heavily in player development, international scouting. Then begin reloading in earnest next offseason when guys like Price and Greinke may be available.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    This is a great idea IMO, much better than starting EY in left field. I'd believe Hunter and Joey T are better options in a starting role than EY and his around .600-.650 OPS would be for us. We shouldn't be too quick to give on Joey T and Hunter is likely to surprise some IMO.
    I can definitely see what you guys mean! I guess they both offer the same skill set. After thinking a bit, I wouldn't mind seeing Cunningham or Constanza get an extended look should the need arise!

Also, wanted to state what a pleasure it is carrying on a discussion with you both. Some on here -not going to mention names- think their opinion is the right one and the only way to go about something. So I just wanted to say thanks for keeping an open interpretation for others opinion while at the same time not criticizing others if they don't agree with you. Kudos to you both!!

[MENTION=266]Hawk[/MENTION] you too^^
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    If this team has the intention of moving both Gattis and J. Upton my hope is that they would then go trawing at the bottom of the barrel for true bargain bits -- indy league talents, japan/korea, rule v, etc. I think of previous successes in this realm like Julio Franco, Beachy, Ligtenberg, Campillo, etc.

Give the players acquired a season to percolate, make some deadline deals, invest heavily in player development, international scouting. Then begin reloading in earnest next offseason when guys like Price and Greinke may be available.
    Very good point!

Hawk you are another one who should be added in my above post.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Very good point!

Hawk you are another one who should be added in my above post.
    Thank you. It's mutual. We're both South Carolinians so good manners come naturally -- haha.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-02-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Exactly. I really like Hunter the best personally but I am not giving up on Joey T so fast either. Joey did well his late call-up last year too (small sample I know).
    I would put my chips on Cunningham. He had an injury that caused his performance to dip in June. But he hit really well the last two months of the season in AAA. And he is the best defender of the group and probably the best baserunner (other than Constanza). His post All-Star slash line was pretty good: .316/.409/.474.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-02-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Thank you. It's mutual. We're both South Carolinians so good manners come naturally -- haha.
    Yeah, you guys are ok as long as we don't talk about the war.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

blueagleace1 (12-02-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Haha well thank you sir! Courtesy of the Palmetto State!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I can definitely see what you guys mean! I guess they both offer the same skill set. After thinking a bit, I wouldn't mind seeing Cunningham or Constanza get an extended look should the need arise!

Also, wanted to state what a pleasure it is carrying on a discussion with you both. Some on here -not going to mention names- think their opinion is the right one and the only way to go about something. So I just wanted to say thanks for keeping an open interpretation for others opinion while at the same time not criticizing others if they don't agree with you. Kudos to you both!!

[MENTION=266]Hawk[/MENTION] you too^^
    Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. You are a good poster and it's a pleasure talking baseball with you. I also agree with you that both nsacpi and Hawk are top notch posters as well. I would include both of them among my favorite to read and interact with on this forum in fact.

That said, I agree with giving all those kids a shot if all are still with us come spring training. I thought they might drop or move one from the 40-man depending on trades, signings. Time will tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I would put my chips on Cunningham. He had an injury that caused his performance to dip in June. But he hit really well the last two months of the season in AAA. And he is the best defender of the group and probably the best baserunner (other than Constanza).
    I am not trying to slight Cunningham nor ruling him out. But I am higher on Hunter and Joey T personally, at least with the bat. I'll grant that Cunningham is the better defender, esp. in centerfield. Of course besides him, only Hunter can play there and Hunter has played more in right and left field than center. Joey T is serviceable in the outfield though, I have seen a lot worse in left anyway. But his success or failure will be in his bat IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Good place to be from, my great grandma was from there in fact. However, I was born in Atlanta and raised here in Georgia. Further, I agree about what you said regarding good manners too. Though I will admit a certain poster on this forum makes me forget mine at times. I have noticed you and he don't mix too well either, lol. :)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Haha well thank you sir! Courtesy of the Palmetto State!
    You guys are gettin' kind of gooey. No offense.

Blueagleace, you bring a level of civility unsurpassed since Bill Shanks ruled with an iron fist.

Wait, that sucked. But your very civil discourse is welcome nonetheless.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-02-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    You guys are gettin' kind of gooey. No offense.

Blueagleace, you bring a level of civility unsurpassed since Bill Shanks ruled with an iron fist.

Wait, that sucked. But your very civil discourse is welcome nonetheless.
    Haha well thank you sir! Though I must admit, I'm a little concerned with the comparison to B.S haha thanks for the laugh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I am not trying to slight Cunningham nor ruling him out. But I am higher on Hunter and Joey T personally, at least with the bat. I'll grant that Cunningham is the better defender, esp. in centerfield. Of course besides him, only Hunter can play there and Hunter has played more in right and left field than center. Joey T is serviceable in the outfield though, I have seen a lot worse in left anyway. But his success or failure will be in his bat IMO.
    I can't and won't offer an opinion on Hunter seeing as I've never seen him play, just seen his stats. Anyone in MLB that he compares to?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I can't and won't offer an opinion on Hunter seeing as I've never seen him play, just seen his stats. Anyone in MLB that he compares to?
    I cannot think of a real good comp personally, though his overall game has been compared to Jacque Jones in the past. He has excellent hand-eye coordination and impressive balance and walks more than he strikes out. But he doesn't walk a ton nor strike out a lot (Hunter walked 56 times last season and struck out 52 times). One of the knocks on him used to be that he didn't hit for enough power, but he has started showing more power too the last few years. He also had some injuries hold him back a while hurting his overall development. But that seems in the past now and he really improved and things came together for him this past season. I am hoping he gets a real shot this spring and breaks out making the team out of spring training.

Hunter can play all three outfield positions too, but he has played more in right and left field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I cannot think of a real good comp personally, though his overall game has been compared to Jacque Jones in the past. He has excellent hand-eye coordination and impressive balance and walks more than he strikes out. But he doesn't walk a ton nor strike out a lot (Hunter walked 56 times last season and struck out 52 times). One of the knocks on him used to be that he didn't hit for enough power, but he has started showing more power too the last few years. He also had some injuries hold him back a while hurting his overall development. But that seems in the past now and he really improved and things came together for him this past season. I am hoping he gets a real shot this spring and breaks out making the team out of spring training.

Hunter can play all three outfield positions too, but he has played more in right and left field.
    Seems like someone who should be given every opportunity to win a spot on the team come spring training. That is if he isn't selected in the Rule 5 draft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Seems like someone who should be given every opportunity to win a spot on the team come spring training. That is if he isn't selected in the Rule 5 draft.
    That is my take, they were wise enough to re-sign him as a free agent. But I wouldn't rule out a team taking him in the Rule 5 Draft as you say. But I hope he stays here and makes it with his home team (Hunter is from Georgia).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    That is my take, they were wise enough to re-sign him as a free agent. But I wouldn't rule out a team taking him in the Rule 5 Draft as you say. But I hope he stays here and makes it with his home team (Hunter is from Georgia).
    I'm with you!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-02-2014)