Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Angels close to acquiring Kyle Kubitza from Braves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Thoughts from John Manual from BA on where Sanchez falls on our prospect list. Albies was #5 for BA in early December (and Kubitza #10), but this was before the Fried and Banuelos acquisitions. If you assume Fried and Banuelos are ahead of him, then Sanchez would be slotted somewhere in the high single digits for BA as things currently stand.

@johnmanuelba
    @DOBrienAJC [MENTION=266]Hawk[/MENTION]s4life89 in the car but I would slot right behind Albies. 55/Extreme BA grade in the Handbook

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Last year was awful as well.
    More boring than awful I remember once declaring aloud, "My kingdom for a Raw Dog!"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Good post but the FA hitters market until 2017 looks quite bleak.

Unless we get in on JUp or Jason in FA next winter.
    Interestingly enough, if the Braves are bad enough in 2015 to have a protected pick in the next draft, they could very well sign one of those guys and not fear losing their top draft pick.

Think about it from Hart's point of view:

You know Heyward is going to cost $25M+ per year for 7+ years no matter what. You have 2 options if the ultimate goal is to keep him long term...

1. Extend him for that cost and get only Heyward
    2. Trade him for pitching assets, and then sign him for the same cost a year later without sacrificing a top draft pick

Now I'm not saying that's the plan, but it could end up being how it all shakes out. I fully expect the Braves to be in on both JUp and Heyward next offseason, especially if they have a protected draft pick.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-09-2015), Hudson2 (01-09-2015), Tapate50 (01-09-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Thoughts from John Manual from BA on where Sanchez falls on our prospect list. Albies was #5 for BA in early December (and Kubitza #10), but this was before the Fried and Banuelos acquisitions. If you assume Fried and Banuelos are ahead of him, then Sanchez would be slotted somewhere in the high single digits for BA as things currently stand.

@johnmanuelba
    @DOBrienAJC [MENTION=266]Hawk[/MENTION]s4life89 in the car but I would slot right behind Albies. 55/Extreme BA grade in the Handbook
    BP did the Braves prospects list very early this offseason. I wonder if they will make a major revision now that all these trades have gone down?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Interestingly enough, if the Braves are bad enough in 2015 to have a protected pick in the next draft, they could very well sign one of those guys and not fear losing their top draft pick.

You know Heyward is going to cost $25M+ per year for 7+ years no matter what. You have 2 options if the ultimate goal is to keep him long term...

2. Trade him for pitching assets, and then sign him for the same cost a year later without sacrificing a top draft pick

Now I'm not saying that's the plan, but it could end up being how it all shakes out. I fully expect the Braves to be in on both JUp and Heyward next offseason, especially if they have a protected draft pick.
    It's possible, Hart did exactly that with Kenny Lofton. But it is a long-shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I'm incredibly down with this trade! John Hart has confused me through much of this, but his process is beginning to make much more sense. Our farm system went from one of the worst in baseball, to top 15, maybe top 10. Not only has he refreshed our system, but he's opened up international spots and freed up a lot of money. That's pretty incredible looking at the team as we headed into the offseason.

The Winkler, Man-Ban and now Sanchez trades all completely turned me around on this offseason. All high-upside with low risk pitchers. It's beautiful.

So, sign Moncada? That would turn this offseason into an complete success.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (01-09-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

I think our pitching will be too good to keep us out of a top 10 spot.

Although if Minor has a good start, i think hes trade bait for some hitting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    IMO, the possibility of the Braves signing Heyward or Upton as FAs is extremely remote.

All indications are the Justin was never approached about an extension while with the Braves. Justin makes his home in Arizona, and it's highly likely he'll sign with a team that has a Spring Training site in AZ.

As for Jason, I believe ramadon101 indicated that Jason's agent insisted on an opt out clause when the extension was being negotiated, and I think that is a red line for the Braves. Also I think Jason will want to move on, as his reaction to the trade seems to indicate he felt spurned by the Braves handling of the situation.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    While the list of FA's going forward into 16 and 17 for offensive players isn't exactly impressive, especially when you take Heyward and Upton off the lists as long shots to return here, we still need to look at the big picture.

The fact of the matter is I believe we will be a player in the FA market in 2016 or 2017, but it doesn't necessarily means that it will be for offensive talent either. Think Maddux ala 1993, we could still potentially make a splash and sign a guy like David Price or Grienke or someone like that if we have an interest and they show a desire to be here.

The fact of the matter is that Hart has now assembled enough talent to be flexible going forward. We can make a number of moves based upon the depth that he has acquired with the young talent and draw upon that talent pool to acquire potential needs. And he has also freed up enough money to be able to be more flexible in the way that he approaches this going forward.

Look at it this way....what if Toronto or Baltimore flames out....guys like Encarncion, Batista, Wieters, Adam Jones could be available...and you know what we'd have the means to do it. If Texas falls out of the race Adian Beltre might become available, yes I know he is aged...but he could be a potential veteran piece to fill a need on a young loaded club. What about if Milwaukee falls flat again...Braun might become available. I could go on and on. We know have the depth and the assets to pull moves like this off going forward that we're in no shape or form even imaginable a couple of months ago.

So Hart could be aggressive in FA and sign a guy in an area of strength in pitching and acquire another ace like Price, and also fill another potential need in an OFer like Dexter Fowler...and if someteam makes a veteran that has a large contract or a soon to be expired contract, we'd have the capability to go that route and fill needs that way as well.

I know some don't like and are baffled by the Markakis move, but IMO the FO see's him as a guy that fills a larger potential role in the short term as well as a guy that brings veteran leadership and still should be a viable productive role player going forward in 2017 as well. He showed a desire to be here, and with all of that being said, the brass felt it was a move worth pursuing going forward in their thought process of constructing the team going forward.
    Last edited by Millwood1Hitter; 01-09-2015 at 12:50 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (01-09-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    If CBet doesnt show enough this year, i could see them make a push for Wieters if Baltimore doesnt extend him before FA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Heyward and Upton are not coming back. That ship has sailed.
    Natural Immunity Croc

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    More boring than awful I remember once declaring aloud, "My kingdom for a Raw Dog!"
    Chip?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-09-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Heyward and Upton are not coming back. That ship has sailed.
    Maybe they make a play for Justin but I thinkan AL team will outbid us. Jason I'm pretty sure will be a cardinal.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    It's not just the $40M bonus, it's the 100% penalty tax on that bonus for going over the international limit. It is going to cost the Braves upwards of $80M if they want to sign Moncada. I can't imagine there's any real possibility of that happening.
    Assuming we have scouted him as extensively as we have (EVERY report I've seen anywhere has consistently said we've had the biggest presence at every workout) and the fact that we were apparently in deep on Tomas (with no moves on the horizon that would clear B. J., Uggla, or Johnson's money) I still don't understand why you keep questioning it.

Tomas signed for $68.5 million and has MANY more unanswered questions than Moncada has. Moncada has been called a "franchise player" by several sources (J. J. Cooper from BA included). Assuming the organization at some point at least considered spending $150-ish million on another franchise player to pair with Freeman heading into the new park, $80 million is an absolute steal. If Heyward or Upton would've been willing to accept something with a slightly shorter term but higher AAV - 6/$150 million, you'd have $70 million remaining (after paying him that $80 million initially) to either go towards extending Moncada through his prime seasons (a la Freeman's deal) or spend on other assets while covering the same time period.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-09-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    IMO, the possibility of the Braves signing Heyward or Upton as FAs is extremely remote.

All indications are the Justin was never approached about an extension while with the Braves. Justin makes his home in Arizona, and it's highly likely he'll sign with a team that has a Spring Training site in AZ.

As for Jason, I believe ramadon101 indicated that Jason's agent insisted on an opt out clause when the extension was being negotiated, and I think that is a red line for the Braves. Also I think Jason will want to move on, as his reaction to the trade seems to indicate he felt spurned by the Braves handling of the situation.
    Mlb really needs to do something about these opt out clauses. Either they need to be mutual, non existent, or at least only allow them before the final season of the contract. These 6 year 100+ million deals with an opt out after 3 years puts all the risk on the team.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Jason I'm pretty sure will be a cardinal.
    I think they'll make a good offer but if ramadon is right, he'll hit the FA market for top dollar.

I dont know if they give him 200+ mil if thats what he wants.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I think they'll make a good offer but if ramadon is right, he'll hit the FA market for top dollar.

I still think he'll remain a Cardinal. Unless the Yankees come knocking.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    I think Shelby Miller is going to be our present day John Smoltz...yes I said that outloud, criticize me all you want.

The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I still think he'll remain a Cardinal. Unless the Yankees come knocking.
    They'd have an opening in one of the OF spots.

LA would as well with Kemp out now and Ethier eventually gone.

Detroit needs outfielders as well.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts

Well if he has another subpar offensive season he is going to be lucky to sniff 175 million.