Thread: 2016 Trade Deadline Rumors and Moves

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I'm surprised Johnson was not traded.

If we place Markakis on waivers and end up working out a trade with another team could we add Johnson to that deal without him having to go through waivers as well?
    Don't think so. Both would have to clear.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    He keeps us from looking "stupid" (as someone suggested earlier) like we do for giving Grilli away too early.

We did give Grilli away too early, as his numbers now prove. And we dropped the ball by not getting anything at all for JJ.

We did well for Demerrite. The kemp
    Deal is ok. But there should have been other moves today

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    When the "winners and losers" articles come out in the next day or so the Braves will be listed as losers in many of them, and as winners in none of them.

Very disappointing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    They completely wasted a sellers market at a time that it's clear that they should be selling.
    Yup. This trade deadline was completely bungled by the Braves.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Thats what happens when you show up to the sellers market with a bag of trash.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-01-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    What do you expect to be dealt.

No one was offering a good enough package for Julio.

Viz is hurt.

Everything else we have isnt that attractive to deal.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I'm surprised Johnson was not traded.

If we place Markakis on waivers and end up working out a trade with another team could we add Johnson to that deal without him having to go through waivers as well?
    Everyone traded from this point on has to clear waivers.

Hard to call this an epic fail because we would have likely gotten squat for anyone on our roster. I'm surprised other teams weren't willing to pony up a decent prospect for Johnson.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    The casual fan that has b*tched and moaned about every trade that has made the Atlanta franchise better in the future in the last 1.5 years actually sees today as being a good thing and has praised Coppolella on twitter. I tend to go opposite of what the regular Joe thinks since all they look for is who is on the major league team.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Biggest winners to me are the Rangers and Yankees. I still wonder a bit about Texas' rotation, but if Darvsh comes back strong, they may very well be OK. Their offense is very strong now. Maybe the best offense in the A.L. Yankees added some good prospects, which they have needed to do for a long while.

Biggest loser to me is the Dodgers. Nobody of real big impact added, especially to a rotation which is pretty questionable right now. Also, not too sure about the Giants. Two top prospects for a reliever and trading away Matt Duffy.
    Rich Hill has a 2.25 ERA, hes been very good as has Reddick.

Indians getting Miller is big time, they didnt have any LH RP's.

Rotation can matchup with any team in baseball, and offense is rock solid. Agree with Yankees/Rangers though.

Giants improved but they traded alot for minimal upgrades.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Does your crystal ball show us good enough to get the 5th-7th pick? I still see us as the leader in the worst record sweepstakes. Just not that big of deal.
    We are still bad. But the premise of Coppy's actions and comments is that we are gong to be good the second half.

So my options are:
    1. He's right and we play ourselves out of getting the first choice and more money in the draft
    2. He proves, yet again, that he has a terrible understanding of our team and/or our relation to the teams we play

I don't like either option.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    What do you expect to be dealt.

No one was offering a good enough package for Julio.

Viz is hurt.

Everything else we have isnt that attractive to deal.
    And the fact they didn't have anything worth trading isn't a reflection of their MLB roster building acumen?

Why is the FO getting a pass when every single MLB-level acquisition the last 2 years has turned out terribly outside of backup catchers? How exactly are we supposed to be confident that they can build a winner when they literally haven't made a good decision about the MLB roster in 2 years?

They think Kemp has fixed LF enough to warrant holding onto Julio? They seriously needed to see what Garcia could do? They thought giving Markakis a 4 year deal was a good idea? They thought Olivera was a middle of the order bat at 3B, when he couldn't even play 3B? They thought it was a good idea to bring back AJP after he clearly had the best year of his twilight?

They honestly thought they were building a team that was better than last years squad? And now it is potentially the worst MLB team of the 2000's.

I have zero faith they can construct a winner at the MLB level because they haven't made a single good decision at the MLB level.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (08-01-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    We are still bad. But the premise of Coppy's actions and comments is that we are gong to be good the second half.

So my options are:
    1. He's right and we play ourselves out of getting the first choice and more money in the draft
    2. He proves, yet again, that he has a terrible understanding of our team and/or our relation to the teams we play

I don't like either option.
    I'm afraid it is #2. They have proven with several moves over the last 2 years that they are completely out of touch with what it takes to build a winner at the MLB level.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    And the fact they didn't have anything worth trading isn't a reflection of their MLB roster building acumen?

Why is the FO getting a pass when every single MLB-level acquisition the last 2 years has turned out terribly outside of backup catchers? How exactly are we supposed to be confident that they can build a winner when they literally haven't made a good decision about the MLB roster in 2 years?

They think Kemp has fixed LF enough to warrant holding onto Julio? They seriously needed to see what Garcia could do? They thought giving Markakis a 4 year deal was a good idea? They thought Olivera was a middle of the order bat at 3B, when he couldn't even play 3B? They thought it was a good idea to bring back AJP after he clearly had the best year of his twilight?

They honestly thought they were building a team that was better than last years squad? And now it is potentially the worst MLB team of the 2000's.

I have zero faith they can construct a winner at the MLB level because they haven't made a single good decision at the MLB level.
    The team is rebuilding, calm down.

They're holding onto Julio cuz no one is willing to meet the asking price for the 580th time. You dont trade him for a decent package, thats retarded.

Thats GM speak, and go root for a new team then if you dont like what they're doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    @JeffWilson_FWST 24m24 minutes ago
    To make room for Jonathan Lucroy and Jeremy Jeffress, #Rangers designate catchers Bobby Wilson and Bryan Holaday for assignment.

Braves would be wise to pick up one of Wilson or Holaday and release AJP.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    @JeffWilson_FWST 24m24 minutes ago
    To make room for Jonathan Lucroy and Jeremy Jeffress, #Rangers designate catchers Bobby Wilson and Bryan Holaday for assignment.

Braves would be wise to pick up one of Wilson or Holaday and release AJP.
    I don't see AJP getting released at all. He provides too much veteran leadership (even though the 25-man roster is already made of 12 other veterans).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Biggest winners to me are the Rangers and Yankees. I still wonder a bit about Texas' rotation, but if Darvsh comes back strong, they may very well be OK. Their offense is very strong now. Maybe the best offense in the A.L. Yankees added some good prospects, which they have needed to do for a long while.

Biggest loser to me is the Dodgers. Nobody of real big impact added, especially to a rotation which is pretty questionable right now. Also, not too sure about the Giants. Two top prospects for a reliever and trading away Matt Duffy.
    Agreed on biggest winners.

Biggest losers are probably the Braves. They didn't improve themselves at all for the future in one of the best sellers markets in a decade. The market was so good the Yankees became sellers for the first time I can remember, yet the Braves decided to hold onto Teheran, JJ and Viz. And before anyone blabbers about Viz being injured, Hill hasn't pitched for 2 weeks and still got the As a nice package, so save that tired argument.

I do wonder if the Rays getting Duffy makes Longoria available this offseason. I know better to get my hopes up though.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    i don't get the moaning either...you don't make a trade to just make a trade. If they didn't get the players they wanted they were right in holding onto Teheran and the others.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orphan Black For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-01-2016), mfree80 (08-01-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Why are people concerned that the Giants gave up too much? Duffy is a nice player, but he isn't a difference maker. The Giants churn out players like him a dime a dozen. Oh no they traded a prospect! They are untouchable around these parts, but smart teams like the Giants don't limit themselves to strictly possibilities down the road. Moore even furthers their starting rotation. Their starting 1-4 is pretty great with Bum, Cueto, Samardzjia, and now Moore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    When the "winners and losers" articles come out in the next day or so the Braves will be listed as losers in many of them, and as winners in none of them.

Very disappointing.
    Oh you are just a delight