Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training '17

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    why does it matter if it happened before or after reaching the majors? Is the recovery different in the minors?
    No but surgery that early in a players career doesn't bode well for the future.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm just curious
    I understand that but guys like stras and Jose should be grouped in that because they made it to the bigs then shortly there after went down. I would prefer to not have a guy with elbow issues but there is proof that pitchers can come back and have effective careers tells me that it is not the end all he all. I really don't care when it happened personally. Btw, I am not meaning to sound like an ass. Just stating my opinion.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It's questioned because of is age relative to his competition along with his injury past. He has talent but those are big deals to many people. It's very valid imo. He's either going to overcome it or not. If he does then his natural talent will vault him to up the lists. And people pile on thethe because he has a track record of doing this with many prospects.
    I know thethe does, but it doesn't make it right every time. I also think your right that his age and history do play into his ranking. still would rather have him than a lot of guys ranked higher. So I guess I would call him under rated then. Which is my point. I don't think thethe was wrong in suggesting it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    I am going to speak ignorantly here but I would think the majority of tjs have happened in the last four years. So that data is still being compiled. Plus I have a feeling the surgery has advanced a little since it's inaugural run. Again I haven't pulled wiki numbers. But I am betting I am right.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    I miss Alex Wood.
    Forever Fredi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (02-27-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    I know thethe does, but it doesn't make it right every time. I also think your right that his age and history do play into his ranking. still would rather have him than a lot of guys ranked higher. So I guess I would call him under rated then. Which is my point. I don't think thethe was wrong in suggesting it.
    I wouldn't necessarily call him underrated. Most people see that he has tremendous upside but he does have big flags that keep him from being ranked high or at all. That's normal.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    I am going to speak ignorantly here but I would think the majority of tjs have happened in the last four years. So that data is still being compiled. Plus I have a feeling the surgery has advanced a little since it's inaugural run. Again I haven't pulled wiki numbers. But I am betting I am right.
    I guess time will tell on that. I'm also willing to bet the stressing of velocity and the TJS soon after is not good for long term benefits of a pitcher. It will become a viscous cycle.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    David Price may be looking at TJ. Oof.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I don't really care if he's underrated or not. He clearly has the potential to be really good, and the risk just means we need to try to get him to the majors as quickly as we can to use him for as long as he's got.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Should be expected with most pitchers to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Good thing they picked up a Sale. But this hurts big time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Devers and Groome for Quintana?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Devers and Groome for Quintana?
    Boston would do that trade 8 days a week..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    I understand that but guys like stras and Jose should be grouped in that because they made it to the bigs then shortly there after went down. I would prefer to not have a guy with elbow issues but there is proof that pitchers can come back and have effective careers tells me that it is not the end all he all. I really don't care when it happened personally. Btw, I am not meaning to sound like an ass. Just stating my opinion.
    Most pitchers can come back from one TJ. Most pitchers can not come back from a 2nd TJ. The biggest predictor of a future TJ is a prior TJ.

If you know a pitcher only has 1 TJ recovery in his career, I think it is perfectly logical not to acquire guys that have already used up their 1 TJ.

Not exactly something that requires any analysis to understand. All you need is the ability to arrive at logical conclusions when presented a few facts. But hey, this is a board where when someone was told, "Asset Type A is more risky and less valuable than Asset Type B", his conclusion was, "then it's a good thing we stocked up on Asset Type B!!", so who knows what kind of "logic" some folks apply to the facts they are given.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Most pitchers can come back from one TJ. Most pitchers can not come back from a 2nd TJ. The biggest predictor of a future TJ is a prior TJ.

If you know a pitcher only has 1 TJ recovery in his career, I think it is perfectly logical not to acquire guys that have already used up their 1 TJ.

Not exactly something that requires any analysis to understand. All you need is the ability to arrive at logical conclusions when presented a few facts. But hey, this is a board where when someone was told, "Asset Type A is more risky and less valuable than Asset Type B", his conclusion was, "then it's a good thing we stocked up on Asset Type B!!", so who knows what kind of "logic" some folks apply to the facts they are given.

I don't think there is enough statistical data to say anything about TJS definitively.. I could easily say that it is better to get a guy who gets his TJS out of the way earlier in his career vs a guy who makes it to the majors and then goes down while you have service time accumulating. There is not enough evidence that one TJS leads to another TJS at some point. It doesn't take any analytical giant to say 'recovery time while not accruing service time is better than going on the 40 man roster and losing 2 years of service time due to TJS'

in fact the Braves had the luxury of letting Fried fully recover vs rushing him back because they needed him being a part of the team. Sorry, I don't see your point here.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    be kind of bummed if both JoRam and Roe suck this spring and don't make the team. I was hoping one of them would be good until Juneish and net something back.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

You're oversimplifying the issue here. While you're right, a player who has had one TJS is more likely to have another TJS than a player who hasn't had one, the rate of repeat surgeries is still only 10% (according to this article). If the Braves found that teams following your logic regarding TJS were discounting their TJS pitchers disproportionately to that 10% rate in trades, it would actually make sense to take advantage of that market inefficiency. There are certainly criticisms you can make about how they determine what would be a "disproportionate" discount, but I don't think it's as cut and dried as you're making it out to be.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    But the consideration isn't really the prospects likelihood of pitching injury free to his mid 30s. The analysis is the likelihood of his pitching well through arbitration years, plus a reasonable extension, which a tj veteran might be more willing to do.

I'm not sure the braves should care whether Fried might have second tj at 31.

That's where your stats might need refining. Seems like an area where a broad stat might be of less use than a narrow one.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 03-03-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    how many cy young winners had TJ surgery before reaching the majors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'd rather have a player like Fried that is young and cheap having TJ then paying for a high price ace that hasn't and then a year into the deal him have to have it.