Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article about where each prospect is starting?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Allard wasn't dominant his first go round in Rome. Maybe that had more to do with being rusty, but he got demoted to Danville pretty quickly last year.
    From what I remember is that he was slotted go to Danville the whole time, but they wanted to get him some action and Danville starts their season later than Rome if I recall correctly.... so they threw him into Rome for a couple starts before Danville's season started

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Allard wasn't dominant his first go round in Rome. Maybe that had more to do with being rusty, but he got demoted to Danville pretty quickly last year.
    He was dominant at the end.

Look the FO seems to be consistent that they are going to push guys. So far it seems to have worked out. Ruiz's promotion seemed to be the worst and he did well.

I think the FO thinks that pushing guys and playing them early will give them a good reputation with players and agents. I don't know if that is really how they feel or if that will work. But that is an impression I get. They'll tell international guys that if you earn it you could be in the bigs at 20 like Ozzie. They'll tell drafted players that if you sign with us we'll put you in the show if you earn it. Probably won't amount to much but it seems to be a trend.

Plus....we know that 3 of our starting 5 won't be here next year. You never know with injuries. Why not find out what these kids can do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I'm high on both Allard and Soroka, but neither of them showed the kind of dominance last year that would imo justify this sort of aggressive move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Why not push Allard? He's been dominant. The main issue with him has been health, not stuff. Let him get challenged. Let him fail a bit and see how he does.

The frogs have Touki, Go hard and Sanchez. Touki is Touki. Go hard is top 100 on a lot of lists. Sanchez is prospect fatigue but he's still less than 20 right? Sanchez could be a useful pitcher, he's just been around since he was 16 in MilB.
    Allard has 60 innings in full season ball. Basing a promotion to Double A for a 19-year-old on that seems really strange to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    I don't see the big deal. If allard doesn't pitch well at Mississippi, just drop em down then like last season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm high on both Allard and Soroka, but neither of them showed the kind of dominance last year that would imo justify this sort of aggressive move.
    Like you I am high on Allard and Soroka, I've liked them both from the start but this surprised me. This seems a rather aggressive move and I hope it doesn't do any harm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't see the big deal. If allard doesn't pitch well at Mississippi, just drop em down then like last season
    there can be harm from rushing a prospect

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-31-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'm generally in this school as well. If they start in Florida and they're ripping it up in June, promote them at the halfway mark. I think a stronger case can be made for Soroka because he logged 143 innings last year, but he's a control guy and I worry that he may get cuffed around a bit by more experienced hitters at AA out of the gate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm generally in this school as well. If they start in Florida and they're ripping it up in June, promote them at the halfway mark. I think a stronger case can be made for Soroka because he logged 143 innings last year, but he's a control guy and I worry that he may get cuffed around a bit by more experienced hitters at AA out of the gate.
    I don't look at other expected rosters in Mississippi's league, but perhaps there's a lack of hitters. It may be loaded though for all I know though. I wonder if things like this cross FO's mind when placing guys

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't look at other expected rosters in Mississippi's league, but perhaps there's a lack of hitters. It may be loaded though for all I know though. I wonder if things like this cross FO's mind when placing guys
    My concern is Soroka is 19 and he'll be facing guys five or six years older than he is on a nightly basis in the SL. There's talent and then there's skill and when you're facing guys who have been at the game at the professional level a lot longer than you have, it's quite a learning curve. Soroka may be up to it mentally, but it's quite a jump.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I'm cautiously optimistic about the move. Based on the reports I've seen about the developments of his change up and his current command, I think Allard has the pitch mix to succeed there now.

I have more concerns about Soroka not currently having as serviceable third pitch but his fastball lends itself to damage control due to his arm slot and it's sinking action.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Look the FO seems to be consistent that they are going to push guys. So far it seems to have worked out. Ruiz's promotion seemed to be the worst and he did well.

I think the FO thinks that pushing guys and playing them early will give them a good reputation with players and agents. I don't know if that is really how they feel or if that will work. But that is an impression I get. They'll tell international guys that if you earn it you could be in the bigs at 20 like Ozzie. They'll tell drafted players that if you sign with us we'll put you in the show if you earn it. Probably won't amount to much but it seems to be a trend.

Plus....we know that 3 of our starting 5 won't be here next year. You never know with injuries. Why not find out what these kids can do?
    Like the theory. That could matter a lot in the living room of a Venezuelan family.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    What kind of harm is there from being rushed? I would rather see a guy thrown into to fire so you can see what he is made of. Why waste years babysitting a prospect only to figure out at 26 that he is bad at baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    What kind of harm is there from being rushed? I would rather see a guy thrown into to fire so you can see what he is made of. Why waste years babysitting a prospect only to figure out at 26 that he is bad at baseball.
    Yes because starting a 19-year-old at High A would definitely mean waiting seven years to see if he's good or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Yes because starting a 19-year-old at High A would definitely mean waiting seven years to see if he's good or not.
    And pitching him 1 level higher can ruin his career and send him to counseling.

I think he'll be fine whether he succeeds or fails in Miss

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    Let's get the smartest kid in high school biology and give him a scalpel and point him to the operating room. Should hold down medical costs and if the kid freaks out after he kills somebody, just grab the second smartest kid.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (03-31-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Let's get the smartest kid in high school biology and give him a scalpel and point him to the operating room. Should hold down medical costs and if the kid freaks out after he kills somebody, just grab the second smartest kid.
    Yeah, that's exactly the same thing

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Yeah, that's exactly the same thing
    Close though. LOL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    David Eugene Clyde

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

Maybe that has to do with the rationale. I'm more inclined to believe that it has to do with the increasing evidence that peaks happen much earlier than traditionally believed and trying to get as many peak years as possible.