Page 228 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 1281782182262272282292302382783287281228 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,560 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    I could go on, but hopefully you get the point.
    Nothing you posted is news to me, nor did it discuss my point. Half you posted was about the Triangle trade for the most part, which was most prevalent pre-revolution.

Again you took a post that someoen said the North fighting against slavery had a moral advantage in the Civil War (paraphrasing) then said don't act like NEw England didn't make money, I pointed out that the majority of that time was 50+ years ago, not the life span of the men who would have been doing the fighting in the war or in congress, and you then presume I know nothing and post links that talk about the Afrrican Slave Trade which was banned in 1808. Again , it still happened after, some still profited, but the widespread collusion had long since left the north.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Nothing you posted is news to me, nor did it discuss my point. Half you posted was about the Triangle trade for the most part, which was most prevalent pre-revolution.

Again you took a post that someoen said the North fighting against slavery had a moral advantage in the Civil War (paraphrasing) then said don't act like NEw England didn't make money, I pointed out that the majority of that time was 50+ years ago, not the life span of the men who would have been doing the fighting in the war or in congress, and you then presume I know nothing and post links that talk about the Afrrican Slave Trade which was banned in 1808. Again , it still happened after, some still profited, but the widespread collusion had long since left the north.

Like I said, arguing with you is generally worthless. You never are or can be wrong. You use straw men arguments ("then said don't act like NEw England didn't make money," "the widespread collusion," etc.) and go your merry way. I made my valid point, a historically proven point. And I'm not going to make it again.

Oh, btw, when was slavery completely abolished and all slaves emancipated in all of NE?
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 05-08-2017 at 07:58 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-08-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post

I'm not sure he's that smart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    southpaw‏ @nycsouthpaw 4h4 hours ago

The White House has gone to extraordinary lengths to prevent fmr Acting AG from testifying about its National Security Advisor's Russia ties
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Wow, it is funny (not ha ha either) how there has been no discussion on Sally Yates today given the non stop brutalization's of a year ago.
    Yes, the Russians were and are involved
    and
    had active back channel ties to the Trump campaign
    Last edited by 57Brave; 05-08-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Remembering one strong Ted Cruz backer among us -- wonder his thoughts of Sen Cruz performance today ?

Michael Cohen‏ @speechboy71 29m29 minutes ago

So we find out the NSA was capable of being blackmailed by the Russian govt & Ted Cruz is asking about HRC's emails
    10 replies 152 retweets 237 likes
    Michael Cohen‏ @speechboy71 31m31 minutes ago

And Ted Cruz is taking this opportunity to go after Huma Abedin
    7 replies 36 retweets 87 likes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Eric Trump is denying a claim that he once told sports writer James Dodson that Russians provided Trump golf courses with “all the funding we need.”

In an interview with a Boston public radio station late last week, Dodson said Trump had told him as much about three years ago. Trump told The New York Post on Sunday that Dodson’s report was “garbage” and “categorically untrue.”

“We own our courses free and clear,” he told the publication. “We have zero ties to Russian investors.”

just to think, to remove all hint of suspicion all Trump has to do, like previous Presidents for this very reason, is provide tax returns and this matter can be put to bed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    and this:

18 USC 1512(d) makes it a crime to harass someone in order to hinder, delay, prevent, or dissuade them from testifying before Congress

Deborah Gaughran‏ @MyNextLifeDebi

I guess @realDonaldTrump was just informed that witness intimidation is illegal, so this tweet was deleted. #SallyYatesIsAPatriot #meltdown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Like I said, arguing with you is generally worthless. You never are or can be wrong. You use straw men arguments ("then said don't act like NEw England didn't make money," "the widespread collusion," etc.) and go your merry way. I made my valid point, a historically proven point. And I'm not going to make it again.

Oh, btw, when was slavery completely abolished and all slaves emancipated in all of NE?
    Neither of those are examples of strawman arguments. One was a paraphrasing of what you said, the other isn't a strawman, just the truth.

But you made a point, that was an old point. Again, as I said, there was 20-30 years of NE making money on Slavery, then the US abolished the African Slave Trade. That's not to say that people weren't making money on slavery in NE, but it was certainly not prominent. The discussion was about the time at Civil War, not about the 1700s and first decade of the 1800s. You attempted to deflect shame by pointing to a time before was cited by the OP.

As far as slavery being abolished in NE, it was abolished by 1785, first by Vermont in 1777 (before it was even a state), NH and Mass in 1783 and CT and RI in 1784. As far as when slaves were emancipated that was after the Civil War, because most states still allowed slaves from other states to come with their masters. One of the reasons that the civil war broke out was because states started passing laws that wouldn't allow for that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Neither of those are examples of strawman arguments. One was a paraphrasing of what you said, the other isn't a strawman, just the truth.

But you made a point, that was an old point. Again, as I said, there was 20-30 years of NE making money on Slavery, then the US abolished the African Slave Trade. That's not to say that people weren't making money on slavery in NE, but it was certainly not prominent. The discussion was about the time at Civil War, not about the 1700s and first decade of the 1800s. You attempted to deflect shame by pointing to a time before was cited by the OP.

As far as slavery being abolished in NE, it was abolished by 1785, first by Vermont in 1777 (before it was even a state), NH and Mass in 1783 and CT and RI in 1784. As far as when slaves were emancipated that was after the Civil War, because most states still allowed slaves from other states to come with their masters. One of the reasons that the civil war broke out was because states started passing laws that wouldn't allow for that.

Like I said.... And you can't even get my point right.

Try this for CT (for instance):

The “Gradual Emancipation Act” declares that the children of enslaved African Americans born after March 1, 1784 were to be granted freedom upon reaching the age of 25.

State legislation outlaws the slave trade in Connecticut, prohibiting the import of Africans and the export of African Americans for sale, and requires every slave owner to register the births of every child born into slavery in their household with their town clerks.

Connecticut ratifies the United States Constitution

African American population in Connecticut numbers 2,759 enslaved and 2,801 free. Waterbury has 10 enslaved and 14 free.

Connecticut’s first abolitionist society, the Connecticut Society for the Promotion of Freedom and the Relief of Persons Unlawfully Held in Bondage, is formed. Waterbury’s slave-owning Rev. Mark Leavenworth was a founding member.

The transportation of slaves to other states for the purpose of selling them is banned.

The Gradual Emancipation act is modified so that any “Negro or Mulatto Child” born in Connecticut after August 1, 1797 will be freed on his or her 21st birthday.

The laws enacted in 1750 concerning restricted travel, a 9 p.m. curfew, and unusually harsh punishments for theft are repealed.

Census records show 951 African Americans enslaved in Connecticut. There are 7 people enslaved in Waterbury.

Census records show 310 African Americans enslaved in Connecticut. There is only one person enslaved in Waterbury; this is the last year that the census records show anyone enslaved in Waterbury.

Connecticut’s new constitution specifically denies the right to vote to African American population

Census records show 97 African Americans enslaved in Connecticut.

1839-1841
    The Amistad trial takes place. The Africans from the schooner were held prisoner in Connecticut until the U.S. Supreme court finally declared them to be free, and they returned to Africa.

Census records show 17 African Americans enslaved in Connecticut

Slavery is outlawed in Connecticut.
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 05-08-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts

The “Gradual Emancipation Act” declares that the children of enslaved African Americans born after March 1, 1784 were to be granted freedom upon reaching the age of 25.

State legislation outlaws the slave trade in Connecticut, prohibiting the import of Africans and the export of African Americans for sale, and requires every slave owner to register the births of every child born into slavery in their household with their town clerks.

Connecticut ratifies the United States Constitution

African American population in Connecticut numbers 2,759 enslaved and 2,801 free. Waterbury has 10 enslaved and 14 free.

Connecticut’s first abolitionist society, the Connecticut Society for the Promotion of Freedom and the Relief of Persons Unlawfully Held in Bondage, is formed. Waterbury’s slave-owning Rev. Mark Leavenworth was a founding member.

The transportation of slaves to other states for the purpose of selling them is banned.

The Gradual Emancipation act is modified so that any “Negro or Mulatto Child” born in Connecticut after August 1, 1797 will be freed on his or her 21st birthday.

The laws enacted in 1750 concerning restricted travel, a 9 p.m. curfew, and unusually harsh punishments for theft are repealed.

Census records show 951 African Americans enslaved in Connecticut. There are 7 people enslaved in Waterbury.

Census records show 310 African Americans enslaved in Connecticut. There is only one person enslaved in Waterbury; this is the last year that the census records show anyone enslaved in Waterbury.

Connecticut’s new constitution specifically denies the right to vote to African American population

Census records show 97 African Americans enslaved in Connecticut.

1839-1841
    The Amistad trial takes place. The Africans from the schooner were held prisoner in Connecticut until the U.S. Supreme court finally declared them to be free, and they returned to Africa.

Census records show 17 African Americans enslaved in Connecticut

Slavery is outlawed in Connecticut.
    Now Beds, I think you're missing the point here. We all know that "our Northern friends" never profited in any way from the hideous practice of slavery. That was all on us Southern sinners.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (05-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Who here believes Sally Yates' testimony has been thoroughly pre-washed and disinfected to bring about the desired effect, whatever that is?
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Who here believes Sally Yates' testimony has been thoroughly pre-washed and disinfected to bring about the desired effect, whatever that is?
    I would think testimony and maybe financials and the "officially accepted versions of history" are the only things that get washed these days. :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

The Russia-Trump collusion story is a total hoax, when will this taxpayer funded charade end?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

Ok, and what slave states had those same laws? 1810 there were 310 enslaved people to 262,000 or 0.1% of the population. Compare that to the slave to free person pop of states like Georgia, South Carolina, or Mississippi. I dare you.

To put this in biblical terms, you're pointing out the splinter in someone's eye to cover up the plank in yours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The Rude Pundit‏ @rudepundit 6m6 minutes ago

So either a series of amazing and unconnected coincidences occurred or the Trump campaign colluded with Russia. It's really that simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Michael Grunwald‏Verified account @MikeGrunwald 4h4 hours ago

It's weird. We had a special prosecutor in the 90s over a 70s real estate deal. Now we're like "oh, the NSA being compromised is old news."
    5 replies 230 retweets 416 likes