Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What about an analysis after the fact based on performance thus far?
    Is it the same analysis that claims Sims is a top prospect again?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I'm hoping for Lewis or Gore
    Beck or Gore.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    What evidence do you have that they did? Because the Braves said he was?
    they drafted him. they said they thought he was the best high school arm. that's also consistent with the pre-draft reporting that says the Braves were all over scouting him and liked him a lot.

they pretty much could have signed any other pitcher or hitter under slot as well, though perhaps not as far under slot.

a general sense that no one thought any of the players in the draft were sure things and that the Braves certainly had the opportunity to draft anyone they thought was a sure thing left on the board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Is it the same analysis that claims Sims is a top prospect again?
    Has anyone made that claim Sims is that?

I think the early results and reports of Anderson provide some evidence that the Braves correctly chose Anderson not only based on perceived signabilty but sheer upside.

Knowing what we know now would you not have picked Anderson?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Has anyone made that claim Sims is that?

I think the early results and reports of Anderson provide some evidence that the Braves correctly chose Anderson not only based on perceived signabilty but sheer upside.

Knowing what we know now would you not have picked Anderson?
    Wow. Just, wow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Knowing what we know now, does it really matter when he was selected or if he was BPA or not or what he cost?

Because the current situation, he damn sure might have been the best pitcher drafted to this point. And that's really all that matters right?
    Ivermectin Man

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-11-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Knowing what we know now, does it really matter when he was selected or if he was BPA or not or what he cost?

Because the current situation, he damn sure might have been the best pitcher drafted to this point. And that's really all that matters right?
    Moving forward, it matters that the Braves take BPA.

This concept of separating the process from the results is lost on most people. Further, declaring Anderson a success at this point in time is silly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

This concept of separating the process from the results is lost on most people. Further, declaring Anderson a success at this point in time is silly.
    Separating process\results isn't lost on me what so ever. But RESULTS are actually the more important part of that equation. Especially when there is no consensus from teams on who is\isn't the BPA and how they develop going forward at 18 years old.

He is a success to the same point others drafted with him are\aren't. No one is declaring him major league Ace. Just at this point, with this info to date, he has been as successful at the same levels as his peers if not more so. And in the end, that's all we have\what matters to this point, yes?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    So among the players speculated to be under consideration by the Braves this year, are there any that would NOT be considered a high upside pick at #5? Of course everyone at that level is high upside. I mean in a relative sense within that peer group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    So among the players speculated to be under consideration by the Braves this year, are there any that would NOT be considered a high upside pick at #5? Of course everyone at that level is high upside. I mean in a relative sense within that peer group.
    Not that I can see.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    As an aside I keep finding myself in the odd position of reminding everyone that the guy our FO really wanted last year was Nick Senzel. What does that say?

It is an odd position for me because I suspect I am one of the few around here who thought Senzel was high upside. But one of those rare high upside guys who also has a high floor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    As an aside I keep finding myself in the odd position of reminding everyone that the guy our FO really wanted last year was Nick Senzel. What does that say?

It is an odd position for me because I suspect I am one of the few around here who thought Senzel was high upside. But one of those rare high upside guys who also has a high floor.
    True. What do his minor league numbers to date suggest he is? I haven't followed.
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    True. What do his minor league numbers to date suggest he is? I haven't followed.
    Last year gave a peak at his high ceiling.. this year he is showing more of his high floor. Promoted to A+ and he is starting to hit now. struggled to start. we will see.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Good hitter, not a ton of power. Basically what his pre-draft profile suggested.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Not of the guys who have been linked to the Braves, mostly Gore and Beck. They're definitely both high-upside. Adell is as well. The only other real options (unless somebody comes from out of nowhere, but I think the top of this draft is good enough to keep that from happening) are guys like Lewis, Wright, and Bukauskas and maybe (though it would be shocking) Pavin Smith. Of those, only Smith is a guy I would say is more of a high floor, and perhaps Bukauskas.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Note to belabor a tired point, but isn't this a case of circular logic?

BPA, which I think we all can agree with is a grand draft philosophy, implies that there is indeed a consensus BPA. Bridges has said from the beginning he thought Anderson was BPA at that pick. We can cite differing opinions (and our own) that he's wrong or lying, but I can't see how his opinion can be proven false by anything other than results.

So if that's the case, then yeah, I think its okay for us draft-derps to rest our laurels on the results side of things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Not of the guys who have been linked to the Braves, mostly Gore and Beck. They're definitely both high-upside. Adell is as well. The only other real options (unless somebody comes from out of nowhere, but I think the top of this draft is good enough to keep that from happening) are guys like Lewis, Wright, and Bukauskas and maybe (though it would be shocking) Pavin Smith. Of those, only Smith is a guy I would say is more of a high floor, and perhaps Bukauskas.
    All right lets try to parse this a little. Would anyone care to rank the guys listed as likely to go in the Top 10 by upside. Since the idea is not merely to go for high upside but highest upside.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Sure, I'll do Top 5 prep guys. Based on pure upside, they all are higher than all the college players:

1. Greene
    2. Adell
    3. Gore
    4. Beck
    5. Lewis

Then in order of most risky:

1. Adell
    2. Gore
    3. Beck
    4. Greene
    5. Lewis

Greene is a TOR guy, but all HS pitchers are inherently risky, which is why a RHed prep pitcher has never gone #1 overall.

Adell is the highest upside hitter, but also the highest risk hitter.

Gore has solid MOR potential, but again, HS arms are very risky.

Beck has the profile of a middle of the order corner OFer, but his lack of ABs vs elite competition makes him a bit of a risk.

Lewis has the lowest upside, but his defensive profile also makes him the least risky.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I agree that the top 5 HS guys have the most upside, but I honestly think they're all pretty even in terms of pure upside. I would disagree that Greene has the highest upside of the group, though. He certainly has big upside, but I think it's his relative lack of risk that is putting him at #1. So I would say he is the least risky of the 5 but would probably put Adell and Beck at the top in terms of upside if I had to choose.

I think Lewis is about the riskiest of the bunch, save for maybe Adell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    for the very very top guys I would not discount the upside of the collage guys...im starting to warm to the idea of taking McKay as a hitter
    ..probably will be gone before we pick...but if he's there I hope we'll consider it