Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Kemp and the Quest for 1 bWAR

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Coincidence isn't science. I'm not denying there is a correlation, maybe even a strong correlation between UZR/DRS/etc. and true defensive value, but I can tell you without hesitation that every single team that accesses the Statcast database has the ability to derive a cleaner metric.
    Nobody says defense stats are perfect... but you guys use that as a reason to dismiss it altogether.

Offensive stats aren't perfect either... yet people use them as gospel to measure a player's performance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Everything is potentially more important in the postseason because there are fewer games, I get that. But if the argument is that it's mostly irrelevant in the regular season, then you're saying that it doesn't really have an impact over 162 games. Well, if something doesn't have an impact over 162 games then it is statistical noise.

And if it is statistical noise, then a bad defensive player, like Kemp, is no more likely to hurt you in one series than a good one. So if you're saying that a bad defensive player is more likely to hurt you in a small sample, then he is equally as likely to hurt you over the course of an entire season.
    That is under the assumption that statistic behave in the same way for a smaller stetch and a larger one which is not the case

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Nobody says defense stats are perfect... but you guys use that as a reason to dismiss it altogether.

Offensive stats aren't perfect either... yet people use them as gospel to measure a player's performance.
    Have people really dismissed it?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Because it's impossible for a good hitter to be bad enough defensviely to be a below average player, right?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    That is under the assumption that statistic behave in the same way for a smaller stetch and a larger one which is not the case
    Sure. In a playoff series, Kevin Kiermaier can let the ball go under his glove a couple times and lose you a series. But that isn't what he claimed. He said that because Kemp is not good defensively, that could hurt you in a playoff series and even decide the series. That suggests that Kemp has a higher likelihood of making bad defensive plays, and he is conceding that bad defensive plays can cost you games.

Well, over an entire season, he also has a higher likelihood of bad defensive plays, and those bad defensive plays can cost you games in the regular season, too. If you are acknowledging that worse defense can cost you runs and games in a small sample, then you're acknowledging it can do the same, and is actually more likely to do the same, in a larger sample.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Yes. You give it lip service but then go on to say it's not relevant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Because it's impossible for a good hitter to be bad enough defensviely to be a below average player, right?
    Define good..

I think it's impossible for a 900+ OPS to be bad enough defensively to be below average overall.

This is using the fact that any LF can make every routine play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Yes. You give it lip service but then go on to say it's not relevant.
    Never once said it's irrelevant but if you can a post in said that I'll gladly admit my wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Never once said it's irrelevant but if you can a post in said that I'll gladly admit my wrong.
    Like I said - you give it lip service but ultimately dismiss it

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Like I said - you give it lip service but ultimately dismiss it
    Hoping for some lip service from my wife this evening.. but since she is in law school, she will ultimately dismiss it as well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-17-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Define good..

I think it's impossible for a 900+ OPS to be bad enough defensively to be below average overall.

This is probably pretty close to accurate. Even if you're talking truly below average rather than below replacement level, I think you're correct. I do think it's possible for that player to merely be about average, though.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Define good..

I would define good as what Kemp did for us last year. Something in the 120 WRC+ range. Ignoring the fact that a 900 OPS can be subjective to park factors let's look at someone like Ryan Braun last year who had a 903 OPS.

His 903 OPS came out to being 23 batting runs above replacement level. For a corner outfielder to have that offensive ability and to still fall below 2 WAR (average) he would need to cost his team roughly 16 runs in the field. Now that is possible but unlikely.

If you want to have a broader term of what average is, say 1.5-2.5 WAR then a 900 OPS guy would need to cost his team over 20 runs on defense. That's only happened 4 times in LF in the last 10 years. So while possible still unlikely. And those seasons all occurred at he end of the 00's before defense really started getting looked at like it is today. Teams simply don't let defenders that bad play anymore and for good reason.

So yeah in todays game I would agree with you that a 900 OPS corner outfielder is very unlikely to ever be considered a below average player. If his defense is truly that atrocious he would be DHing somewhere.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    but you guys use that as a reason to dismiss it altogether.
    "You guys"?

In the very same post you quoted I said there's likely a strong correlation. How is that dismissing them altogether?

My greater point, which you didn't address, is that teams have access to better data. Make with that what you will. If you care to discuss what I thought about that then feel free to read my other post where I elaborated on it.

False equivalency. Literally everyone in the industry believes offensive metrics to be clearly more accurate.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    In the end it does come out to making the best use of your roster that you can. Schwarber has a possible impact and I'm sure the Cubs would be fine with that defensive liability if he hits like he is projected too. Similar to a prime Adam Dunn type.
    Chicago had multiple opportunities, reportedly, to trade Schwarber. They chose not to. This isn't one of those situations where they were forced to make chicken salad and out chicken ****. They prioritized keeping Schwarber.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Sure. In a playoff series, Kevin Kiermaier can let the ball go under his glove a couple times and lose you a series. But that isn't what he claimed. He said that because Kemp is not good defensively, that could hurt you in a playoff series and even decide the series. That suggests that Kemp has a higher likelihood of making bad defensive plays, and he is conceding that bad defensive plays can cost you games.

Well, over an entire season, he also has a higher likelihood of bad defensive plays, and those bad defensive plays can cost you games in the regular season, too. If you are acknowledging that worse defense can cost you runs and games in a small sample, then you're acknowledging it can do the same, and is actually more likely to do the same, in a larger sample.

I don't think that its more or less likely that a bad defensive play could cost you a game in the postseason or in the regular season.

Over 162 games, I don't think its especially likely that the cumulative number of game deciding bad defensive plays by a left fielder is likely to decide whether a team makes the postseason.

Over a playoff series, should you have the bad luck to have one of those games, it could very well decide the series.

It would be less likely to have one of those games in a seven game series than it would be to have one in a 162 game season. It would just be potentially more impactful in a playoff series.

I don't think talking about playoff series is a particular relevant discussion in relation to the current Atlanta Braves roster. If the playoffs are relevant then the front office has done a better job than anyone thinks.

So its bit moot.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Offensively? Clearly not. Although I don't think anybody predicted him to be bad offensively.
    I can think of at least a couple of posters who thought he'd OPS around .775. While that isn't bad, it certainly isn't very good either. Especially for a LFer.

He could end up an OPS in the mid .900's and certain posters would still think he's trash and it was a dumb move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I can think of at least a couple of posters who thought he'd OPS around .775. While that isn't bad, it certainly isn't very good either. Especially for a LFer.

He could end up an OPS in the mid .900's and certain posters would still think he's trash and it was a dumb move.
    And the same said posters will never admit they were wrong.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    There is plenty of subjectivity... offensive stat don't account for bloops, and softly hit balls that find holes, and whether or not the defense was in a shift or not.

The argument can be played both ways.
    That is an extremely weak argument.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Anyone want to take a wager of the author of the following quote:

A team can win with a high power low on base lawn ornament in LF. They can't win with multiple players like that, but Kemp sitting in the 4 hole hitting 30+ HRs and a low .300 OBP is going to make the offense better.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Anyone want to take a wager of the author of the following quote:

A team can win with a high power low on base lawn ornament in LF. They can't win with multiple players like that, but Kemp sitting in the 4 hole hitting 30+ HRs and a low .300 OBP is going to make the offense better.
    A person who was 100% correct.

It also has zero relevance in this discussion. Congrats, you've once again made a "point" that isn't pertinent.