Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: GDT 5/18 Braves vs Jays : Stewed Beef edition

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    He could string good starts leading all the way to the trade deadline and repair his value. I could also win the lottery. Anything is possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Giles has infatrated our broadcast

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Some people obviously did. I would have liked to seen him traded back then. For the right deal of course. Nobody here knows what was offered. Maybe there wasn't a fair package offered. Who knows. If the Sox offered Moncada and we didn't take it we are crazy. But we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Except quite a few folks were saying Julio needed to be traded without the benefit of hindsight.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack1 View Post
    Some people obviously did. I would have liked to seen him traded back then. For the right deal of course. Nobody here knows what was offered. Maybe there wasn't a fair package offered. Who knows. If the Sox offered Moncada and we didn't take it we are crazy. But we don't know.
    I strongly believe that if he had been traded the board would still be moaning about the poor return the Braves got for him. Of course none of us really know what was offered, but if it had been really good value, it would have happened. Since it didn't, I suspect we would have crucified the FO for the worst trade of all time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I strongly believe that if he had been traded the board would still be moaning about the poor return the Braves got for him. Of course none of us really know what was offered, but if it had been really good value, it would have happened. Since it didn't, I suspect we would have crucified the FO for the worst trade of all time.
    I'm sure the Braves could have secured another couple pitching prospects with injury histories for Julio.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    He's not garbage at all and sometimes he is lights out. He just is not consistant. We passed on the perfect storm at the trade deadline and even in the offseason to move him when his value was high. That ship has sailed. We will not get any value that would make it worth trading him now. At least not this year and the further into his contract we go, the less valuable that is also.
    You say this but then argue about him being inconsistent as a reason to unload him. Other teams know this. Teams know the type of pitcher he is and that his value is mainly tied to his contract. He should have been unloaded when the rebuild started because he still had several years on his contract at a very favorable rate. As it stands now he has 2.5 years and the Braves aren't close to contention. Just made no sense to keep him at all.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Its 50/50 whether it would be a poor return based on our other trades during the rebuild. I think the Braves were still holding out hope of contending sometime soon and wanted to keep Julio for that. To me it's as simple as that. They likely did receive fair value at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    I miss Roger McDowell.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I miss Roger McDowell.
    Why was he fired again?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You say this but then argue about him being inconsistent as a reason to unload him. Other teams know this. Teams know the type of pitcher he is and that his value is mainly tied to his contract. He should have been unloaded when the rebuild started because he still had several years on his contract at a very favorable rate. As it stands now he has 2.5 years and the Braves aren't close to contention. Just made no sense to keep him at all.
    Well...yes and no. Julio over all is inconsistent, but last year he was pretty much very consistant the whole year. At the trade deadline i'm not sure that mattered. You saw a journeyman and often injured guy like Hill getting an elite prospect. It was the best sellers market that I can remember and we had the best pitcher on the market pitching well.

We don't know what was offered, and maybe they made the right call. Do you think the Sox would still have Quintana if the right deal was offered? They also waited too long and now his value has gone way down. Tampa still has Archer (which I do t get what the hoopla is about).

Obviously, looking at the Simmons deal for example....you have to get the "right" trade. We could very well have HATED the best deal out there for Julio. Looking at our big name trades...I have hated most of them.

Who knows...I surely don't. I just felt like we ask for a Shelby deal, when we could have been a little more reasonable and gotten way over Julio's real value. Maybe that wasn't the case. Maybe a Simmons type deal was the best offered and we said no thanks. It just frusturated me seeing other teams make out like bandits when we were sitting on one of the best trade chips. That's all my speculation though.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Wait. Are 2 julion arguments going on in 2 different places or am I confused.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Why was he fired again?
    Everyones arms exploded under his watch?
    Ivermectin Man

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I'm not arguing, just as much agreeing. I just wish we would went with the full rebuild (keeping Freddie, but trading Julio). I think two different discussions have the same ending now that something like Freddie has happened.

I think Simmons should have been kept and Julio dealt. I've always thought that though lol.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    That seems like a MLB wide problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    What a epic pants crapping at home, after Fred gets nailed.
    Ivermectin Man

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    It's really simple. Just like it's easy to build a highly rated farm by trading off good MLB players, it's also decently easy to completely deplete the farm and gain MLB player and make big signings. The Padres did the same thing.

Bottom line why he was fired:

1. Depleted the farm.
    2. Made some REALLY bad free agent signings.
    3. Built around power hitters that could not hit for average.

So, when injuries happened (they always do), he had no farm to get any help, and because of the bad contracts...he also had no money to sign anyone.

Wren, did some good things, but he was also very short sighted. He put all of his eggs in one basket, and lost the gamble...it happens. He did have some bad luck, but he had no course of action for the bad luck.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    It's really simple. Just like it's easy to build a highly rated farm by trading off good MLB players, it's also decently easy to completely deplete the farm and gain MLB player and make big signings. The Padres did the same thing.

Bottom line why he was fired:

1. Depleted the farm.
    2. Made some REALLY bad free agent signings.
    3. Built around power hitters that could not hit for average.

So, when injuries happened (they always do), he had no farm to get any help, and because of the bad contracts...he also had no money to sign anyone.

Wren, did some good things, but he was also very short sighted. He put all of his eggs in one basket, and lost the gamble...it happens. He did have some bad luck, but he had no course of action for the bad luck.
    A team that is trying to contend is going to pull out of the stops. It does look as though he had sold out the organization for one run at it, and that roster was ultimately ill conceived.

But he wasn't all bad and perhaps he was following the strategy that he felt that JS required. After all the end of the JS era was never about rebuilding and long term thinking either.

Even now, you hear echoes when Coppy speaks about how the Braves organization cannot openly tank for long because it is expected to win. I suspect Coppy would have preferred a bigger and longer tear down but there are apparently, if he is being honest rather than weaselly, pressures to win.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Even now, you hear echoes when Coppy speaks about how the Braves organization cannot openly tank for long because it is expected to win. I suspect Coppy would have preferred a bigger and longer tear down but there are apparently, if he is being honest rather than weaselly, pressures to win.
    Considering the team expected a fast turnabout and contention in 2017 I'd almost guarantee that is the case.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Considering the team expected a fast turnabout and contention in 2017 I'd almost guarantee that is the case.
    I just don't believe the Braves actually expected to contend in 2017.

Every decision they've made points to 2019+.

I think they would have liked some things have worked out better along the way at the major league level and I think they wanted to make a run at .500 this season if everything worked out. But they really did not take any risk or divert any long term resources towards making that run. Had they actually wanted to contend, they could have gone out and traded prospects for some pitching rather than trying to patch together something with the elderly. What they did just wasn't a particularly serious effort.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-19-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I just don't believe the Braves actually expected to contend in 2017.

Every decision they've made points to 2019+.

I think they would have liked some things have worked out better along the way at the major league level and I think they wanted to make a run at .500 this season if everything worked out. But they really did not take any risk or divert any long term resources towards making that run. Had they actually wanted to contend, they could have gone out and traded prospects for some pitching rather than trying to patch together something with the elderly. What they did just wasn't a particularly serious effort.
    I'd argue their moves up until the HO trade had 2017 on their mind.