Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Williams Perez

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Wisler and Perez have both made some adjustments and been quite a bit better lately. Makes me a little more optimistic about their future.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I rate him behind Wisler, but ahead of Banuelos, Folty, Jenkins.

He has a chance to develop into a solid ML starter.
    what is your thoughts on the rotation next year. Julio/Miller/Minor/Wisler have a spot if no one is traded. As you posted else where ManBan is out of options so he stays up. Do we trade one of the four above? move Folty or Perez this offseason? There is talk about another veteran starter as well..

If ManBan goes to the pen, then you have ManBan/Winkler who have to be there, Then Vizciano/Grilli/Paco/Withrow who should be there as well.. That is six in the pen. plus Simmons, Burawa, marksberry, and Molan..

I think this offseason is going to be some hard decisions regarding pitching..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-01-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    what is your thoughts on the rotation next year. Julio/Miller/Minor/Wisler have a spot if no one is traded. As you posted else where ManBan is out of options so he stays up. Do we trade one of the four above? move Folty or Perez this offseason? There is talk about another veteran starter as well..

If ManBan goes to the pen, then you have ManBan/Winkler who have to be there, Then Vizciano/Grilli/Paco/Withrow who should be there as well.. That is six in the pen. plus Simmons, Burawa, marksberry, and Molan..

I think this offseason is going to be some hard decisions regarding pitching..
    I expect four spots in the rotation to be taken up by Miller, Teheran, Minor and a free agent signing. The fifth spot will be an open competition in spring training between Wisler, Banuelos, Perez and Folty. Banuelos is the only one out of options. I think he will be given every chance to win the competition, but at this point Wisler looks like the favorite with me. I think all of these guys need to be given every opportunity to develop as a starter. If they don't they'll get moved to the pen eventually. But starters are more valuable so you need to see if they become ML starters. The most likely scenario is Wisler wins the fifth spot, Banuelos goes to the ML pen, and Perez and Folty are given more time to develop as starting pitchers in AAA.

As far as the pen goes, keep in mind that Simmons and Grilli will probably not be ready by opening day. My guess is the opening day pen will look like this: Vizcaino, Withrow, RHP signed as a FA, Winkler, Paco, Banuelos, LHP signed as a FA.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-01-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Solids scenarios from matt and nsacpi. I think the team wants Wisler to be the guy, which likely gives him the edge going into the season unless he implodes in spring training. The thing that seemed to kill him both in AAA and the majors is his tendency to unravel and give up a big inning. High fly ball rate is a bit troublesome.

I was a bit surprised that they pushed Marksberry as aggressively as they did this season. He didn't have to go on the 40-man over the winter and he doesn't appear to be ready. He projects as a LOOGY, so I wouldn't be surprised if he made the squad next season, provided they have the space given the other decisions. A LOOGY may be a luxury they can't afford given that Banuelos is out of options and Winkler has to be on the 25-man roster for most of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    There is nothing wrong with having some depth in AAA. In fact, that was a problem this year. Once we started losing guys at the major league level, we were scuffling for replacements and brought in a bunch of guys that couldn't cut it at the major league level. So I'm good with having guys like Perez, Folty, Jenkins, Moylan, Marksberry and McKirahan start out the year in AAA. Its a long season and you need to start out with good depth in AAA.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-01-2015 at 09:47 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-01-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    If Minor is ready, he will definetly be there IMO. I think we will see Zimmerman, Miller, Teheran, Minor, Wisler personally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    If Minor is ready, he will definetly be there IMO. I think we will see Zimmerman, Miller, Teheran, Minor, Wisler personally.
    Zimmerman would be at the top of my list if not the fact he will get a QO and cost a draft pick. I think we'll look at guys without the QO: Cueto, Leake, Latos, maybe a couple others.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Minor has already begun throwing so I don't see any reason he wouldn't be ready. They have to go through Arb with him again and I am betting the Braves are wanting to reduce his salary by 20% if they can.. I wonder how that will affect Minor on the mound.. assuming he can make it to the mound and not get hurt again...

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Zimmerman would be at the top of my list if not the fact he will get a QO and cost a draft pick. I think we'll look at guys without the QO: Cueto, Leake, Latos, maybe a couple others.
    Zimm would be a nice get.. we would only be losing a second round pick, since our 1st round will be protected and our 35th (competitive balance) pick I believe is protected as well.. Zimm is well worth a second round draft pick. However, I think he will be too expensive for the Braves and another team will out bid us. maybe I will be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    The competitive balance pick is the one we would lose.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    hmm.. that would be tough one to lose, he would be 30 next year so should have a few good years left. yeah.. maybe the Braves go after a NQ FA..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I expect four spots in the rotation to be taken up by Miller, Teheran, Minor and a free agent signing. The fifth spot will be an open competition in spring training between Wisler, Banuelos, Perez and Folty. Banuelos is the only one out of options. I think he will be given every chance to win the competition, but at this point Wisler looks like the favorite with me.
    I like Wisler better than Banuelos for the long run, but am bullish on Banuelos winning the 5th spot out of ST unless he lays an egg.

My preference would also be to trade one of our young SPs this winter in a package to acquire a position player. Maybe not this year, but by next year we may be facing a 40-man roster crunch with all these SPs. Here's a realistic look at our SP depth with no trades and some reasonable additions coming into ST:

Miller
    Teheran
    Minor
    FA acquisition on guaranteed deal
    Banuelos
    Wisler
    Foltynewicz
    Perez
    Vet invited to camp on MiLB deal (as insurance policy)
    Jenkins (ready by mid-2016)
    Gant (ready by mid-2016 in a pinch)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Hart pretty much said last night during the game that the team would be targeting a veteran backup catcher (hopefully AJ), some help in the BP, and a (emphasis on "a") starting pitcher. He also said they would be out of the bidding for the top guys.

Pure speculation on my part, but with the recent gung-ho attitude towards building the farm system, I see zero chance they sign anyone that will cost them a draft pick.

I'm guessing Leake or someone at that level. I think Latos would be a good buy low option. I hope they stay far, far away from Cueto.

As far as Perez goes, I imagine he will be the 6th or 7th guy in line and will start at AAA. The only 3 locks are Miller, Teheran and the newly signed FA. Minor, ManBan, and Wisler will fight for the last 2 spots with Minor only being out if he is hurt (fairly likely). If Minor and Wisler fill the last 2 spots, I expect to see ManBan in the BP since he is out of options. If Minor and ManBan are the guys then Wisler will be starting in AAA. Folty will also start in AAA.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-01-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Hart pretty much said last night during the game that the team would be targeting a veteran backup catcher (hopefully AJ), some help in the BP, and a (emphasis on "a") starting pitcher. He also said they would be out of the bidding for the top guys.

Pure speculation on my part, but with the recent gung-ho attitude towards building the farm system, I see zero chance they sign anyone that will cost them a draft pick.

I'm guessing Leake or someone at that level. I think Latos would be a good buy low option. I hope they stay far, far away from Cueto.
    I think we should dub next year as 2016: The March Towards Mediocrity

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

As far as Perez goes, I imagine he will be the 6th or 7th guy in line and will start at AAA. The only 2 locks are Miller, Teheran and the newly signed FA. Minor, ManBan, and Wisler will fight for the last 2 spots with Minor only being out if he is hurt (fairly likely). If Minor and Wisler fill the last 2 spots, I expect to see ManBan in the BP since he is out of options. If Minor and ManBan are the guys then Wisler will be starting in AAA. Folty will also start in AAA.
    Expect a replay of the David Ross situation that someone will offer AJ a two-year deal and that will trump the Braves, who in no way would give him multiple seasons. Consider he did go to Georgia Tech.
    The free agent catching pool has been well documented, but I have a gut feeling Markakis is paving the way for Weiters to wind up here -- and he would get two years, at least.
    People are missing the boat on Wisler. He is on the verge of being an outstanding pitcher and he will at worst be the No. 3 guy in the current alignment, and ought to be No. 2 before 2016 winds up. I have an odd feeling that Teheran could be had once all of the TJ guys are at least throwing again.
    Last edited by rico43; 10-01-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The Million Johns March

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    it is hard for a mid budget team to be anything but mediocre when a quarter of the budget is going to Bourn, Swisher and Markakis. And that includes netting out the payment from Cleveland.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    I too think AJ is done in Atl.. someone will give him 2 years in the American league for sure.

I am not sure who the Braves will trade from the pitching depth or when they will. I don't think this offseason, since they are still stocking the system.. I really think Julio is going to have an outstanding year next year... He got off to a rocky start but has had a strong second half. It is hard to believe the guy is still only 24 and like Miller, still learning his craft.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    it is hard for a mid budget team to be anything but mediocre when a quarter of the budget is going to Bourn, Swisher and Markakis. And that includes netting out the payment from Cleveland.
    For everything thin Hart has done and some have been head scratchers.. the Markakis signing has me the most confused. I am hoping to see some power return next year so at least his offense will hide his lack of range and arm..

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-01-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    For everything thin Hart has done and some have been head scratchers.. the Markakis signing has me the most confused. I am hoping to see some power return next year so at least his offense will hide his lack of range and arm..
    I have nothing against Markakis, but I felt the same way after they first signed him and my feelings haven't changed.

I hope Pierzynski comes back, but he could get a two-year deal or a one-year deal at a level we aren't willing to pay.

There are some interesting possibilities at the catching position, but I'm not interested in Wieters. Just too many question marks for what he'll likely cost. I'd prefer they'd take a look at some younger catching prospects who may have fallen out of favor with their organization like Sanchez with the Pirates or Zunino with the Mariners.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 10-01-2015 at 12:09 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (10-01-2015)