Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    David Freese will NOT get the QO.....he is 32 and hits the open market with no pick holding him down....may not be a terrible option for 3b if the plan is to move Olivera to LF and the price is reasonable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    David Freese will NOT get the QO.....he is 32 and hits the open market with no pick holding him down....may not be a terrible option for 3b if the plan is to move Olivera to LF and the price is reasonable
    With his offense, you want at least above average defense.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    With his offense, you want at least above average defense.
    these are the guys I fear they are going to go after. thinking they can patch some older guys together and be relevant. thinking they can just flip them at the deadline if the team seems like it will fade again down the stretch.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I think it's perfectly reasonable to re-sign Kelly Johnson or (given a physical and a dietician) Jose Uribe for a one-year deal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (11-06-2015)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I think it's perfectly reasonable to re-sign Kelly Johnson or (given a physical and a dietician) Jose Uribe for a one-year deal.
    me too, but eventually some long term answers would be nice.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Wieters Chen and Davis all get qualifying offers....

and to a point made earlier, I agree Uribe or Johnson would be a better option than Freese,,,,just figured i would make note

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Span and Fister do not get Qualifying Offers....

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Would much prefer Uribe for one year at $7-$9 million to Freese at 2 years and $20 million. If Garcia or (more importantly) Ruiz don't step forward by the time the end of next season rolls around, you could probably get Prado back on a 2 year deal to bridge to Riley at that point.

The Ted would make a lot of sense for Fister with Freeman, Peterson, Simmons, and Uribe behind him on a pillow deal to rebuild value. One of the mid-rotation veteran arms I'd want the least, but with no compensation attached, he's probably the most obvious candidate (although if you're going to sign one of those types of guys I'd personally prefer Latos because of his higher upside and potential return if you could deal him during the season).

If the 10-10-10 split really is the chosen plan for 2016, I'd think we could do much worse than...

CF- Maybin, RF- Markakis, 1B- Freeman, 3B- Uribe, C- Pierzynski ($4 million), LF- Olivera, 2B- Peterson, SS- Simmons

Miller, Teheran, Fister/Latos, Minor, Wisler

Grilli, Antonio Bastardo ($4 million), Vizcaino, Simmons, Withrow, Oliver Perez ($3 million), Winkler

Start Folty and Banuelos in the rotation in Gwinnett, and if neither takes a pretty big step forward by the time somebody sniffs around Fister/Latos, Bastardo, or Perez (or Minor or Grilli if they somehow turn out healthy long enough to move them), move them to the pen for good.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-06-2015 at 10:27 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    20 players got QO's, some will re-sign with their original teams but going to be interesting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Yankees GM Brian Cashman is “open to anything” as he sees how the winter unfolds, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal writes. Last offseason, Cashman traded several players he had no particular intention of dealing, including Shane Greene, Manny Banuelos and Martin Prado. “You have to be pretty aggressive and open to trade a good young pitcher under team control (Greene), a left-handed prospect (Banuelos) or a guy like Prado who fits you like a glove,” says Cashman. Cashman adds that he’s not looking to trade top young players Luis Severino, Greg Bird or Aaron Judge, but emphasizes that his ears are open to all possibilities.

I wonder what it would take to get Aaron Judge from them.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Peraza

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Bold prediction time. The Kimbrel is coming home!
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Yankees GM Brian Cashman is “open to anything” as he sees how the winter unfolds, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal writes. Last offseason, Cashman traded several players he had no particular intention of dealing, including Shane Greene, Manny Banuelos and Martin Prado. “You have to be pretty aggressive and open to trade a good young pitcher under team control (Greene), a left-handed prospect (Banuelos) or a guy like Prado who fits you like a glove,” says Cashman. Cashman adds that he’s not looking to trade top young players Luis Severino, Greg Bird or Aaron Judge, but emphasizes that his ears are open to all possibilities.

I wonder what it would take to get Aaron Judge from them.
    Simba. And if Cashman would include Gary Sanchez to get it done, I'd pull the trigger personally.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-08-2015 at 07:33 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Bold prediction time. The Kimbrel is coming home!
    I think if we want to compete in 2017, it would be a great idea to get a closer like Kimbrel. Doubt it happens but I want to see the Braves start to build towards 2017 and give us something to look forward to.
    1995 World Champs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    The FO has publicly committed to a contending team in 2017. They have also gone to the trouble of clearing out two contracts that they did not think would yield good value in 2017 by effectively absorbing the costs of those contracts in 2015 and 2016. There is the inconvenient fact that our minor league talent will not be adding much to the big league team until after 2018. But working in favor of a quick rebound is the major league core (Freeman, Simmons, Teheran, Miller) and the presumed bump up in payroll in 2017. I think we can build a team that is projected to win 80-85 games in 2017 without cannibalizing much from the future.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    If they intend on competing on 2017 they aren't doing so with hovering around .500

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Simba. And if Cashman would include Gary Sanchez to get it done, I'd pull the trigger personally.
    I don't hate Olivera, but this is where the Peraza portion of the deal for him didn't make sense. Of course, they moved Peraza off SS well in advance of the deal, but I think the return on Simmons could have been bountiful and with the trade of Peraza (who has his own set of problems on offense), we don't have a ready replacement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    I think if we want to compete in 2017, it would be a great idea to get a closer like Kimbrel. Doubt it happens but I want to see the Braves start to build towards 2017 and give us something to look forward to.
    I have been wondering why the Johns keep saying they want to improve the pen when we have several good arms coming back from injury. There was also the rumor that they would bring Kimbrel back someday. Then it hit me. It makes no sense to add middle relievers to this team. When they say they are going to improve the pen they mean add Kimbrel. With Vizcaino and Simmons as the setup men that should be a good pen.

As for the Padres their GM has backed himself into a corner. He got the ownership to agree to increase spending big time and traded half the farm system and they still suck. He needs to win to save his job and thanks to his **** brain moves has little money left to spend. It only makes sense to trade Kimbrel for 3-4 cheap players and use the 10 million saved on elsewhere.

It's too bad Peraza is gone because that's exactly who would be in this trade. Could probably do Olivera for Kimbrel straight up.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't hate Olivera, but this is where the Peraza portion of the deal for him didn't make sense. Of course, they moved Peraza off SS well in advance of the deal, but I think the return on Simmons could have been bountiful and with the trade of Peraza (who has his own set of problems on offense), we don't have a ready replacement.
    Strictly a stab in the dark on my part, but the only thing I've been able to attribute the inclusion of Peraza to is that they insisted he be in the deal IF we wanted the arms we got plus the pick. I haven't read that specific comment anywhere, but it's the only thing that would seem to make any sense. Both organizations' hype machines worked their regular magic, and I'd assume the Dodgers correctly read our internal reservations about Peraza - many here had long pointed out the concerns about his ability to succeed as strictly a slap-hitter, and that success would be tougher against the more advanced pitching.

I just assume that they (the Dodgers) already knew Olivera was going to have a tough time sticking on the dirt, and that (if nothing else) Peraza could be a REALLY good super-utility guy for them. Call it being a "Johns-Apologist" or whatever someone likes - I think the deal was pretty even overall. We got a bat (that we desperately needed) that we were really high on, regardless of where he plays. We also got two arms with high ceilings PLUS a pick that will fall in the range where we got Herbert and Riley. I know everybody's getting tired of hearing about pitching, pitching, pitching, but it's just what the organization has always done well.

What it breaks down to (for me) is Wood for Olivera, (the maddening at times) Avilan and Johnson for Rodriguez and Bird (both with significantly higher upsides and longer control), and Peraza for the draft pick. For me - IF we hit on the draft pick, it's at worst a wash. Just an educated guess, but I feel like the organization's committed to giving Peterson the chance to prove himself this season without looking over his shoulder at Peraza. If he can improve and Albies continues to grow and can be fast tracked, you've put yourself in position to see if someone will significantly overpay for Andrelton.

I don't mean to badmouth yet another former Brave, but I just don't think the organization viewed Peraza as a legitimate option at SS.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-08-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Strictly a stab in the dark on my part, but the only thing I've been able to attribute the inclusion of Peraza to is that they insisted he be in the deal IF we wanted the arms we got plus the pick. I haven't read that specific comment anywhere, but it's the only thing that would seem to make any sense. Both organizations' hype machines worked their regular magic, and I'd assume the Dodgers correctly read our internal reservations about Peraza - many here had long pointed out the concerns about his ability to succeed as strictly a slap-hitter, and that success would be tougher against the more advanced pitching.

I just assume that they (the Dodgers) already knew Olivera was going to have a tough time sticking on the dirt, and that (if nothing else) Peraza could be a REALLY good super-utility guy for them. Call it being a "Johns-Apologist" or whatever someone likes - I think the deal was pretty even overall. We got a bat (that we desperately needed) that we were really high on, regardless of where he plays. We also got two arms with high ceilings PLUS a pick that will fall in the range where we got Herbert and Riley. I know everybody's getting tired of hearing about pitching, pitching, pitching, but it's just what the organization has always done well.

What it breaks down to (for me) is Wood for Olivera, (the maddening at times) Avilan and Johnson for Rodriguez and Bird (both with significantly higher upsides and longer control), and Peraza for the draft pick. For me - IF we hit on the draft pick, it's at worst a wash. Just an educated guess, but I feel like the organization's committed to giving Peterson the chance to prove himself this season without looking over his shoulder at Peraza. If he can improve and Albies continues to grow and can be fast tracked, you've put yourself in position to see if someone will significantly overpay for Andrelton.

I don't mean to badmouth yet another former Brave, but I just don't think the organization viewed Peraza as a legitimate option at SS.
    That's basically how I deconstruct the trade as well and agree that the Braves would likely have kept Peraza at SS if they believed he could develop into a major league SS.

The guts of the trade was Wood for Olivera. We'll see how it works out.