Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wieters?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Huh?? Do you even know what a protected pick is?

If he is offered a QO he won't be a Brave. They won't even give up a low 40s pick for him (where they got Riley last draft). Simple as that.
    I'm not going to say it's likely we sign him, but I doubt the Braves will worry about a 2nd round pick if they truly are interested in a player, whether it's Wieters or one of the FA pitchers available.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And would be a perfect bridge to Herbert or Morales (if he can stick behind the plate) or a potential international signee. Not to mention he'd eliminate the need to spend on a veteran backup/caddy for Bethancourt. IIRC, Wieters has always drawn good reviews for the way he handles a staff - which would help with all the young pitching.

Not sure the brass will want to part with the pick he'll cost, but if you could get him at 3/$45 million it wouldn't be the worst signing in the world IMO.

Everybody wants to knock his 100 OPS+ last season, but if you'll look deeper, that was 14% better than "average" in 2015.

"At the plate, Wieters was solid, albeit unspectacular, slashing .267/.319/.422 with eight homers in 282 plate appearances. That batting line translates to a park-adjusted OPS of 100 — exactly league average — which is in line with Wieters’ career marks. (He was off to a much better start in 2014 before tearing the UCL in his throwing elbow.) While league-average production isn’t the most exciting concept in the world, it’s extremely valuable when coming from behind the plate; the league-average catcher in 2015, for instance, hit just .232/.295/.383, leaving them about 14 percent below league-average production."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/1...t-wieters.html
    First I think he's going to want more than 3/45. He will likelt try to get 18 million per and I would stay away from that as I see Weiters as being slightly above average at best. I would rather pony up another 10 million and get a legit impact player. It's my opinion that paying market value prices for the Weiters of the world is a mistake for mid market teams like the Braves. It's the worst WAR/$$ value on the market where $$ is a very important resource for teams like the Braves. Teams with higher budgets? Sure, they can afford that luxury but if the Braves say commit 27 or so million combined to players like Weiters and Markakis for example then that just breeds mediocrity.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I'm not going to say it's likely we sign him, but I doubt the Braves will worry about a 2nd round pick if they truly are interested in a player, whether it's Wieters or one of the FA pitchers available.
    I think that should depend on the quality of the player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    There is a price where Weiters makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately I think it's below his market value. Weiters is a good player.

But don't get me wrong. I prefer him over trading assets for Lucroy. We need a severe influx of talent, not a trade from it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-03-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Huh?? Do you even know what a protected pick is?

If he is offered a QO he won't be a Brave. They won't even give up a low 40s pick for him (where they got Riley last draft). Simple as that.
    Yes, i meant give up our 2nd rounder for him.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    I would completely disagree with this line of thought. We are building talent, not only for immediate future but distant future. No way should they give up `35 pick for a guy as risky as Weiters. He isn't enough of an impact player to give that much money to and lose such a nice pick in a deep draft field. I would rather just let CB run the show next year and tell Frediot play the kid and see what happens. I mean the kid has less than 280 plate appearances over 2 years. Sorry, I don't want to give up draft slots for a question mark at catcher when we already have a younger question mark on the team.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Yes, i meant give up our 2nd rounder for him.
    I don't think Baltimore will take the chance on a QO.

IF Wieters is looking at a possible 3 year 40, then I could see Boras encouraging him to take the QO at $15M, rebuild value and then at worst see another 3 year $40M after 2016. I don't think the Orioles want that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I would completely disagree with this line of thought. We are building talent, not only for immediate future but distant future. No way should they give up `35 pick for a guy as risky as Weiters. He isn't enough of an impact player to give that much money to and lose such a nice pick in a deep draft field. I would rather just let CB run the show next year and tell Frediot play the kid and see what happens. I mean the kid has less than 280 plate appearances over 2 years. Sorry, I don't want to give up draft slots for a question mark at catcher when we already have a younger question mark on the team.

I never said we should do it (it would depend on the contract for me). The point I was making is that if the Braves FO really wants a player, I doubt they are going to let losing a 2nd round pick be their deciding factor.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I don't think Baltimore will take the chance on a QO.

IF Wieters is looking at a possible 3 year 40, then I could see Boras encouraging him to take the QO at $15M, rebuild value and then at worst see another 3 year $40M after 2016. I don't think the Orioles want that.
    I don't think Baltimore would have a problem with a QO. They have no one to adequately replace Wieters, and a 1 year contract benefits the team more than the player.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-04-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    I don't think Baltimore would have a problem with a QO. They have no one to adequately replace Wieters, and a 1 year contract is benefits the team more than the player.
    I think they will extend one as well. Weiters is the hot catching FA, and the team, his agent, and Wieters himself all know this.. BorASS is going to go on the FA market regardless what Bal. offers.

And Carp, I wasn't saying you felt that way. I was saying that I disagreed with that thought process in the Braves situation. I wouldn't want them to give that pick up while they are rebuilding their farm system. Sorry, if I implied you felt that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    We are building talent, not only for immediate future but distant future.
    Remains to be seen. The FO has placed pretty heavy emphasis in its public pronouncements on fielding a contending team in 2017. Maybe it is PR. We'll see.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Peter Gammons tweeted a few hours ago that we are not in on Wieters, FWIW. I hope he is right.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I'm not sure to what extent Gammons is still a connected reporter and to what extent everyone just kind of tolerates him hanging around as a result of built-up affection and respect.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Peter Gammons tweeted a few hours ago that we are not in on Wieters, FWIW. I hope he is right.
    Gammons tweeting that we are not in on Wieters is a completely idiotic statement this early into the offseason. Im sure there's not many teams "in" on anyone right now.

Why don't we wait until the offseason gets in full swing to see where everyone will be going

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I'm not sure to what extent Gammons is still a connected reporter and to what extent everyone just kind of tolerates him hanging around as a result of built-up affection and respect.
    I think he is mainly just tolerated. I see Bowman agreeing with him, which isn't much better. I mainly just hope we don't waste a draft pick, finances, and a spot open for improvement, on Wieters for 4-5 years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Wieters has officially been given a Qualifying Offer from Baltimore.....

He has to decline and go for the years wouldn't you think?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Wieters has officially been given a Qualifying Offer from Baltimore.....

He has to decline and go for the years wouldn't you think?
    No doubt. He likely gets that per year anyways.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    At the absolute worst, Wieters could wait it out and sign with some team for 1 year at 13 million with an agreement that they won't offer a QO at the end of next season. So I don't see any way accepting this QO is beneficial to him.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    At the absolute worst, Wieters could wait it out and sign with some team for 1 year at 13 million with an agreement that they won't offer a QO at the end of next season. So I don't see any way accepting this QO is beneficial to him.
    what team is going to pay Wieters 13 mill for 1 year and not offer him a QO at the end AND lose a draft pick. What benefit is there in that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It is against MLB rules to have side agreements about not offering QOs. It could happen, but the commissioner has the power to impose substantial punishment if something like that was uncovered.

The Braves and Santana might have been tempted to collude in this way. But they didn't as subsequent events showed.