Page 16 of 67 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I see no problem in signing a back end rotation guy. Mentor young guys and or flip at the deadline. I'm more interested in who we trade.
    I know we have about 25 to 30 mil to play with. My worry is those trades we may make. To unload swisher or bourn we are going to have to eat a large portion of money. Of which limits our moves this season

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Jose Reyes was arrested for domestic dispute on Halloweenin in Hawaii...

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Even Bowman not buying the "leverage-speak" from the FO on Olivera at 3B.

Assuming that's true, it does make one wonder what the plan is for 3B. If it is "obvious" that they WANT him in LF, you have to assume they've already decided the course of action they'll take at 3B - regardless of who that might be.

Garcia? Uribe? Plouffe? Freese? Trade for another youngster like McMahon?

An interesting option I personally really hadn't given much consideration to is signing Daniel Murphy. He fits that "second-tier" free-agent it sounds like they're targeting, and would seem to make a bit of sense given his flexibility. Maybe they think the hot June and August Ruiz had are signs that he might not be as far away as it appears when looking at his overall numbers? Even if Ruiz were ready in 2017, you could slide Murphy over to 2B and use Peterson as a super-utility guy and not have to rush Albies.

As always, just tossing things around to see what they'd look like, but IF Grilli and Withrow are ready for camp and you didn't spend money on the pen and were willing to go with all the youngsters in the rotation, the money's apparently there to sign both Wieters and Murphy...

CF- Maybin, RF- Markakis, 1B- Freeman, C- Wieters, 3B- Murphy, LF- Olivera, 2B- Peterson, SS- Simmons

It wouldn't seem to make sense (on the surface), since they'd be giving up the Comp pick they got in the Olivera deal AND our 2nd Rounder, but is that really so far-fetched? (For certain folks around here that need everything spelled-out before going nuts, that's actually a question.) You expect to get an impact player at #3 in the First Round. If they do follow-through as expected and go nuts signing international players, you feel like you're also adding another Top 5 pick in Maitan plus another 2-3 players that would be drafted in the first 3 rounds. Last year's 3rd Round #3 pick was #78 overall (Mike Matuella), and players like Jacob Nix, Dakota Chalmers, Harrison Bader, Mac Marshall, and Skye Bolt were available when we'd be picking in Rounds 3 and 4.

You'd still be adding several high-ceiling pieces to the system while significantly upgrading on offense. If they're sold enough on Smith to give him his shot, getting significant pen help in a Maybin deal would both improve the pen and clear space in addition to Minor's money to add a veteran SP like a Buerhle/Colon/maybe even Fister.

Regardless of what they do, things are likely to get real interesting pretty quick - as Carp and you point out, a public statement that "we're not looking to move (insert name here) unless it's for the right price" sure did seem to mean another team was poking around and getting close to that price previously. I saw a quote from Dave Dombrowski yesterday that mentioned things seemed to be moving earlier than they had recently.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-10-2015 at 07:15 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Interesting news that Grilli is on track to be recovered by spring training. I would be in favor of spending less on the pen and using some of the savings to sign someone like KJ.

Pen at the start of the season would be Grilli, Viz, Withrow, Moylan, Winkler, Lefty FA signing, Banuelos. With Simmons given some extra time to get ready.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Interesting news that Grilli is on track to be recovered by spring training. I would be in favor of spending less on the pen and using some of the savings to sign someone like KJ.
    Yeah, we should now be completely out of the market for RH setup relievers. Adding a reliable LHRP will take a major-league deal and some decent money, but they could bottom-feed from there and still have a chance at assembling an average pen.

The other thing that has changed the calculus on budget is the increasing likelihood that Minor will be non-tendered . . . or at least only be offered a contract for a couple million. If they part ways with Minor, I'd like to see them add an SP on an MLB deal (Fister, Colon, Buehrle, etc. tier) and then try to bring in one or two guys on MiLB deals to compete with the young guns for a fifth spot.

It's early yet, but it seems to me that the FO will continue to take a value-driven approach that attempts to minimize the risk of bad contracts. I'm very much in support of this, and think we could do some good work with $30m in this manner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Yeah. If Minor is non-tendered I think we will bring in two starting pitchers. Maybe one on the cheap.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I feel pretty confident we'll address the BP similar to how we did last offseason. And Casey Janssen or Jonathon Broxton seem like good targets. Former closers coming off a couple of lackluster seasons, looking for a chance to to rebound. I also would not be surprised to see us bring back EOF either considering our need for a LHP. And given the lack of closers in FA, I'd say there is a decent chance that we move Grilli this offseason, as well, to free up some money.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-10-2015 at 09:38 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Outside the box idea, but Johan Santana is attempting another comeback this season. Would you throw a minor league deal at him to see if you can catch lightning in a bottle. Either for bullpen or starter?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Outside the box idea, but Johan Santana is attempting another comeback this season. Would you throw a minor league deal at him to see if you can catch lightning in a bottle. Either for bullpen or starter?
    I will say this, Santana has had so many surgeries on his arm that it is now probably as crooked as a bolt of lightning. Seriously, he might be worth a look.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I will say this, Santana has had so many surgeries on his arm that it is now probably as crooked as a bolt of lightning. Seriously, he might be worth a look.
    No chance should we waste a spot on the 40 man roster for Johan. his time is done. I am all for lighting in the bottle types.. but lets get some that actually have a chance.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    No chance should we waste a spot on the 40 man roster for Johan. his time is done. I am all for lighting in the bottle types.. but lets get some that actually have a chance.
    You don't have to waste a spot on the 40 man roster up front. Let him go to Gwinnett if he returns to form then you give him a spot if he doesn't then he either opts out or stays in Gwinnett

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,270 Posts
    BA's list of minor league free agents. Seems like a good place for us to trawl.

Alex Torres definitely seems like someone who's worth a look. Lefty, career 137 ERA+ in the majors, 9.2 K/9. Too many walks, but considering what we were throwing out there last year, we're not in a position to judge.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I was thinking NRI only.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    BA's list of minor league free agents. Seems like a good place for us to trawl.

Alex Torres definitely seems like someone who's worth a look. Lefty, career 137 ERA+ in the majors, 9.2 K/9. Too many walks, but considering what we were throwing out there last year, we're not in a position to judge.
    Thanks for alerting me of BA's publication of the minor league free agents. As many of you know, my favorite list. An interesting list with some great "What happened to him?" guys on it. When you see all the high draft picks listed, you realize how difficult it can be to judge talent.

Most importantly, Hessman is available.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    So if we are going to be going after pen help, don't you think we would make a run at EoF....guy that had big success with us before injury...

I hate to say it but I would go after a few mets free agents...Johnson uribe and EoF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    So if we are going to be going after pen help, don't you think we would make a run at EoF....guy that had big success with us before injury...

I hate to say it but I would go after a few mets free agents...Johnson uribe and EoF
    EOF is not a bed idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Mike Minor has reportedly suffered a set back. He will likely be nontendered by the team.

I anticipated this. A labral injury is typically death to a pitcher's career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Mike Minor has reportedly suffered a set back. He will likely be nontendered by the team.

From the AJC article (Coppy):

“We think it could happen prior to the tender date,” Braves general manager John Coppolella said. “We want to see something, whether it’s off the mound or … we need to see something. We can’t just blindly tender him a contract and put the team at risk. Because every single dollar counts for us.” - See more at: http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/bas....wOsEk1tG.dpuf

I like that he is being careful with the teams money at least.
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post

Good news for the Braves, bad for Minor. Hate to see this but I would rather spend that 5 million else where and just let the kids continue to get beat up until they sink or swim.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    I always said we should have traded Minor, but it was easy to want to hang on to him because he was a talented, young lefty.

If Olivera is going to be our left fielder, I'd also like to see us take a shot at Murphy for third. Would really love Zobrist, but that's not very realistic.

Wouldn't mind KJ/Uribe on cheap deals. Gives us flexibility.