Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves in talks w/ NL West club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Just like Peraza was a year ago? If we move Simmons then that's yet another position that we have to hope gets filled by someone in the minors. If Simmons wasn't signed for those two extra years at such a team friendly deal then I would be more inclined to move him. But trading him now hurts the teams chances of trying to compete in 2017 if that is still the intended goal.
    Which is why I probably wouldn't move Simmons unless I get guy back that I'm convinced is a cornerstone piece that will be key to competing in 2017. I'm not dealing Simmons for a low-A talent. But Albies gives us a little room at SS. It's a gamble as Albies could always flame out or get hurt but sometimes you gotta take risks. If we can turn Simmons into a cornerstone piece and have Albies manning short in another year, we'll be better off than trading Simmons later for a lesser return.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Would the Dodgers even trade Seager? I know Seager is a beast but I don't wanna do a 1 for 1 for Simmons if we trade him. But at the same time we need an offensive bat in return for Simmons.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I can't say I'm in favor of trading Tron, but I reluctantly agree that making him available is the right move, given the circumstances. The level of interest that's already been reported probably underscores that.

If we trade him for anything less than a collection of MLB-ready (or near-ready) position-playing beasts, I will seriously have to reevaluate my March-September plans.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Would the Dodgers even trade Seager? I know Seager is a beast but I don't wanna do a 1 for 1 for Simmons if we trade him. But at the same time we need an offensive bat in return for Simmons.
    Honestly, I highly doubt it. But, I agree. I only want to trade him if we can get "pieces" back. I like Seager, he's a boss, but I'd rather keep the proven guy instead of "hoping" it's 100% sure thing with Corey. It probably will be, but you never know.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Honestly, I highly doubt it. But, I agree. I only want to trade him if we can get "pieces" back. I like Seager, he's a boss, but I'd rather keep the proven guy instead of "hoping" it's 100% sure thing with Corey. It probably will be, but you never know.
    There is absolutely no way Seager is part of any Simmons deal

7. The Following User Says Thank You to emk418 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I'd do Simmons for Seager in a heartbeat. Seager is MLB ready and could be a perennial All Star at third. He's exactly the kind of piece we need. I'd probably add to the deal to get Seager.

That being said, I put the odds of the Dodgers trading him as slightly less than the odds of me landing a free agent deal with the Braves.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    everyone is forgetting about our Gomes get from last year. yes that is right our 22 year phenom name Luis Valenzuela..

that is right. batted .429 for the Braves and .365 overall. has great range and only 8 errors last year. Albies who.. only a matter of time before he beats Simmons out for the starting job in ATL..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    There's just so much in the workings. I'm so excited about our future, but trades (like this could be) will help us whether we are speeding it up or just stalling a couple more years. Our international signings are making me as excited as anything. Go forget about Maitan.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I heard a few people mention they would trade Freeman if Simmons is traded. At this point there aren't too many teams in need of a first baseman so I would hold on to him because you are NOT going to get good value for him.

As we stand, our most valuable pieces have to be Simmons, Miller, Teheran, Freeman....(on the big league roster, not including minors)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    everyone is forgetting about our Gomes get from last year. yes that is right our 22 year phenom name Luis Valenzuela..

that is right. batted .429 for the Braves and .365 overall. has great range and only 8 errors last year. Albies who.. only a matter of time before he beats Simmons out for the starting job in ATL..
    I think counting on Albies to beat out Simmons for the starting SS job anytime soon is reaching

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    @JeffPassan: When you're in Atlanta's position, you listen on everyone, even your most valuable assets. A full teardown can require a lot of creativity.
    I think they handled the teardown part just fine, the building back I'll believe it when I see it.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Granted, I don't know if a deal will even happen, let alone what we will get in return, but this even makes the Peraza deal look even worse in my opinion if this is what we are considering. It shows a lack of true understanding and forward thinking, as Peraza would have been a short term cost effective option at short that could have developed into something useful going forward and considering the fiasco that is Olivera at this point in time, I'm really scratching my head wondering what the hell is going on.

If Simmons is traded it better be for a massive massive haul. A franchise type everyday player preferably 3rd and or an corner outfielder that is ready or close to being ready, another position player of value, and some higher upside arms better be in the deal.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Peter Gammons just said we don't want to trade Julio or Simba but may have to bc of their contracts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Peter Gammons just said we don't want to trade Julio or Simba but may have to bc of their contracts.
    Sure doesn't sound like the payroll squeeze will be lifted in the coming years. New stadium may just be to line the pockets of Lib.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I don't believe Gammons. Any team in baseball could afford Simmons and Teherans contracts.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Sure doesn't sound like the payroll squeeze will be lifted in the coming years. New stadium may just be to line the pockets of Lib.
    Like I've said many of times, I'll believe it when I see it. If the organization is serious about this mystical season going into 2017 and forward, now is the time that we should be making a run at some of the top tier younger free agents that are available. But all we've done is shed payroll and have yet to see much in the form of spending to find replacements at the MLB level.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Did he make any mentions of Sean Burroughs?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    For example: see the florida Marlins who completely re-launched their brand going into the new stadium. Went out and signed anyone and everyone. Had a terrible year 1 before the fire sale in the offseason...

I don't see us doing that...

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    For example: see the florida Marlins who completely re-launched their brand going into the new stadium. Went out and signed anyone and everyone. Had a terrible year 1 before the fire sale in the offseason...

I don't see us doing that...
    And I don't want that, but I'd hope that we'd at least consider signing someone like Price to anchor the rotation or dare I say Heyward to build around going forward. Young talent that helps us in the short term and long-term while acquiring a need and using the depth that we've accumulated to fill other needs through trades and so forth.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    And I don't want that, but I'd hope that we'd at least consider signing someone like Price to anchor the rotation or dare I say Heyward to build around going forward. Young talent that helps us in the short term and long-term while acquiring a need and using the depth that we've accumulated to fill other needs through trades and so forth.
    I wish we were in a place where we were close to being competitive, but as we stand, it seems like we are still in re-build mode and will be for a while. Also, why have I been hearing that there are budget constraints when we supposedly have $25-30 mil to spend this offseason...?