Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1488

Thread: Viz and Teheran listed as top trade candidates

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Apparently they're going after Archer. I wouldn't trade that dude at all, but the Rays will. They better get everything LA has to offer - like Urias would HAVE to be included, no?
    Urias isn't getting shipped anywhere, he's too good and is already ready. Stuff I was reading elsewhere on another site seemed to suggest Yadier Alvarez and Holmes being the main pieces involved in discussion between the teams, though I would think there would have to be a bit more going the Rays way than that. On the other hand the Rays pretty much got taken to the woodshed in their 3 way trade with the Nats and Pads for Myers, so I'm not sure their FO is as good as it used to be since Friedman left.

LA and the Rays seem to be a great fit for an Archer trade though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Urias isn't getting shipped anywhere, he's too good and is already ready. Stuff I was reading elsewhere on another site seemed to suggest Yadier Alvarez and Holmes being the main pieces involved in discussion between the teams, though I would think there would have to be a bit more going the Rays way than that. On the other hand the Rays pretty much got taken to the woodshed in their 3 way trade with the Nats and Pads for Myers, so I'm not sure their FO is as good as it used to be since Friedman left.

If that was all that was being discussed I'd hope Coppy would pick up the phone. Archer would be a great gamble for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

Well, Urias is ready, but he isn't ready to pitch full-time for the rest of the year and the post-season. That's why I say that. Urias is can't miss for me. But Archer is young, cheap, proven, and ready to carry a full workload.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    If that was all that was being discussed I'd hope Coppy would pick up the phone. Archer would be a great gamble for us.
    Wouldn't even call him much of a gamble. His stuff is so good. I think he's just been unlucky this year, but his peripherals are still really good.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Wouldn't even call him much of a gamble. His stuff is so good. I think he's just been unlucky this year, but his peripherals are still really good.
    Archer would be a very nice grab.. But who would we have to give up to get him. Would start with Newcomb for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Well, Urias is ready, but he isn't ready to pitch full-time for the rest of the year and the post-season. That's why I say that. Urias is can't miss for me. But Archer is young, cheap, proven, and ready to carry a full workload.
    Archer isn't really going to be leading anyone in the playoffs the way he is pitching right now though either. Guys like Urias with legit 3 plus pitches just don't get traded though, as you say he's can't miss. He'll be a TOR starter very soon, as soon as next year possibly. The Dodgers have an excellent farm system, they can easily say Urias is off limits and still swing a trade for Archer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Archer would be a very nice grab.. But who would we have to give up to get him. Would start with Newcomb for sure.
    Newcomb, Peterson, Sims?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Eh, Alvarez may not be on top prospect lists yet, but the dude has a ton of value. He'll most likely be a top 50 guy easily on next seasons lists if he continues to pitch the way he has so far. He's dominated so far with electric stuff. There is a reason he got signed for 16 mil by the Dodgers, his scouting reports give him potential TOR stuff. I'd say his value is just below someone like Anderson Espinoza. And Holmes is borderline top 50.

I'm trying to think of a good comparison for us to that, maybe Newcomb, Soroka, and Fried would be comparable in value. I don't think I'd want to give up that much for Archer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I wouldn't give up that much but it is really tempting on that contract. Teheran and Archer would be an excellent 1 2 punch.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    It's time to finish the rebuild:
    We have too many 3-5 type starters in triple A and higher. We could build two separate packages for each team of valuable parts for someone like Texas (who needs starters front and back), but guys that are just blocked for us and might never get a chance.
    Let's say Texas: Profar, Gallo, Brinson, pitching prospect + #1 2017 pick for T-ran, Jenkins, Viz, Krol
    Astro's: Bregman, Reed, Tucker, pitching prospect + #1 pick for Freeman, Inciarte, Cervenka, Gant or Perez or Casey
    Trade Nick (eat half of his salary if need be) plus whatever, for a MLB ready young catcher that may be blocked on another team.
    Feel out Arizona to see if we could get Shelby back on the cheap. A package of Blair, Manban whatever. I think he maybe be like BJ if you get him away from there. Could be a good #3 and if he takes off...trade him at the deadline next year.
    That would pretty much complete the rebuild and we would STILL have a MASSIVE draft coming in for 2017...we would be stacked for years to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    It's time to finish the rebuild:
    Murph, that you?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (07-22-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I don't see why the Rays would trade Archer. He's signed to a team friendly contract and his value is too low.

I could see them trading Odorizzi though since he'll be entering his arbitration years. I would be interested in Odorizzi. He's the kind of guy who could figure it out and have a few great seasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I don't see why the Rays would trade Archer.
    All depends on the return.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Yes, but they will for the "right" package. I hope we are smart enough to do the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I'm trying to think of a good comparison for us to that, maybe Newcomb, Soroka, and Fried would be comparable in value. I don't think I'd want to give up that much for Archer.
    Personally, I do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Personally, I do that.
    A little risky for my blood, but mainly because I think one of Fried or Soroka has a decent shot to match Archer once they are ready. I'd have no qualms giving up Newcomb really. I'd probably be willing to do something like Newcomb, Sims, and Soroka or Fried.

I think Archer has a good chance to bounce back next year, but he still has to get his control back, that's a bunch to give up for not a sure thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Given his contract, I would peg Archer's surplus value higher than Teheran's. It will be interesting to see what the Rays get for him if they move him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Personally, I do that.
    Me too. I don't think it is a close call.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Funny that you or anyone would peg Archer's value in a down year more than T-ran. He had ONE year (well really a half year), like that and they brought out the pitchforks and called him a #5 with glee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Given his contract, I would peg Archer's surplus value higher than Teheran's. It will be interesting to see what the Rays get for him if they move him.
    I agree on that, I see him as more valuable than Julio. My issue with giving up that much for Archer is I don't see being close enough to spend that kind of prospects on him. I don't think we can realistically make the playoffs and actually do anything once we hit them until 2019, and he'll be on the wrong side of 30 by that point.

Now if we decided to say sign Cespedes, one of Turner/Prado/Freese, and Castro for catcher, then I'd be happy to give up Newcomb, Fried, and Soroka I guess. So I guess it just depends on if we are truly going for it or not. If all were are doing is adding a couple decent offensive pieces in the offseason I really wouldn't be interested in making a deal for him.