Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Braves Likely To Hold On To Francoeur, Unless Strong Offer

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It seems to me we have a surplus of grit and veteran leadership we can trade from. Francoeur. AJ. Markakis. Beckham. Aybar. Flowers. That's a lot of veteran leadership. More than some teams who are heading to the playoffs.
    I laughed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    The young guys can learn a lot by watching Francoeur and AJ from the bench. Those guys play the game the right way.
    You have to capitalize the entire phrase. PTGTRW.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Holding onto these vets is stupid. Even if you take D prospects, you get them. How is it leadership when these vets are actually taking the place of younger kids in the minors needing to come up? You need to lose a couple at the very least.

Wanting a big haul for Francoeur? Completely laughable. Take a 23 year old C pitching prospect for him and move on.

These old guys aren't selling more tickets than the young blood that could replace them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I'm guessing the source on this is Coppy, and the intent is two-fold: (1) garden variety posturing, (2) damage control with the players, some of whom may have been miffed by the previous report that they were aggressively trying to trade the team's most well-respected veteran.

I think the message is that Frenchy will not be traded for some phantom prospect like Adam McCreery. They'll only trade him if a legit mid-level prospect is coming back.
    While I'm sure Frenchy is a big hit with the guys, I'm not sure "well-respected" is the right phrase to describe how he interacts with the younger players. I mean, he did get pranked last year for half a ****ing season by teammates making him believe one of them was deaf.

I think he's more like Zach Galifianakis in The Hangover. He's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, a little off, brings the hooch and the roofies on road trips, and he's so-and-so's annoying brother so we have to keep him around.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 07-26-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Holding onto these vets is stupid. Even if you take D prospects, you get them.
    We got a C prospect for Jonny Gomes. Hope springs eternal.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    We got a C prospect for Jonny Gomes. Hope springs eternal.
    I like the Gomes trade.. Luis Valenzuela is a C prospect, but one of those Castro/utility hitters that can serve a purpose. He is starting to hit now after starting the season on the DL. he hit .400+ for us last year (SSS)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I like the Gomes trade.. Luis Valenzuela is a C prospect, but one of those Castro/utility hitters that can serve a purpose. He is starting to hit now after starting the season on the DL. he hit .400+ for us last year (SSS)...
    I liked the trade too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Holding onto these vets is stupid. Even if you take D prospects, you get them. How is it leadership when these vets are actually taking the place of younger kids in the minors needing to come up? You need to lose a couple at the very least.

Wanting a big haul for Francoeur? Completely laughable. Take a 23 year old C pitching prospect for him and move on.

These old guys aren't selling more tickets than the young blood that could replace them.
    Arguably, signing these old guys is what was stupid.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Yes, let the young guys develop and drop the oldies. Not according to Coppy though, Frenchy deserves a high prospect....you know...because of how good he's doing....wait...why again is he worth a high prospect? Character...maybe he can swing Moncada?? Everyone one is looking for high character older .240 average type guys.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts

Please name the young kids in the minors that need to come up? Hate to say it, but even with this top notch minor league system, there isn't a single player knocking down the door to a MLB roster spot. Albies is performing well in AA, but at 19 it isn't like it's a pressing issue to get him to the MLB level.

I don't see any "younger kids needing to come up". That's a problem if the goal is to compete next year.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-26-2016), Southcack77 (07-26-2016), Tapate50 (07-26-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Yes, let the young guys develop and drop the oldies. Not according to Coppy though, Frenchy deserves a high prospect....you know...because of how good he's doing....wait...why again is he worth a high prospect? Character...maybe he can swing Moncada?? Everyone one is looking for high character older .240 average type guys.
    Again, exactly which minor league OFer is Frenchy blocking?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-26-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Who said he's worth a high prospect?
    The tone of every single one of your posts has been pretty ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Again, exactly which minor league OFer is Frenchy blocking?
    tuiasosopo

the point i would make is you flip any of these replacement level rentals we have if you can....but they really aren't blocking anyone...and it would not make sense to bring up Albies and Swanson for service clock reasons
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-26-2016 at 12:15 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    tuiasosopo

the point i would make is you flip any of these replacement level rentals we have if you can....but they really aren't blocking anyone...and it would not make sense to bring up Albies and Swanson for service clock reasons
    I guess I don't see the point in trading him for organizational filler, which is all he would get the Braves in return. Some people still buy tickets just to see Frenchy. If even one person spends $100 to watch him play that is more value to the Braves than some FV 30 guy who might some day get a spring training invite if he reaches his ceiling or puts in 10 of time in the minors.

Most of the Braves trade chips have so little value they literally are worth more to the Braves just to have someone physically standing at a position in the field. They may be below average, but they are less below average than whatever filler the Braves have stashed in AAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    I think this next offseason we should try and sign good players.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    While I'm sure Frenchy is a big hit with the guys, I'm not sure "well-respected" is the right phrase to describe how he interacts with the younger players. I mean, he did get pranked last year for half a ****ing season by teammates making him believe one of them was deaf.

I think he's more like Zach Galifianakis in The Hangover. He's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, a little off, brings the hooch and the roofies on road trips, and he's so-and-so's annoying brother so we have to keep him around.
    I lump Francoeur in with the Hanson Brothers from the movie Slapshot. Old-time baseball baby.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I'd trade Frenchy if we got back something of value for him, but otherwise it's not a big deal to keep running him out there. The fans like him as well as his teammates.

There's a good chance that the plan is to have him platoon with Mallex in LF or Inciarte in RF. He still hits lefties well, and could come cheap.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I guess I don't see the point in trading him for organizational filler, which is all he would get the Braves in return. Some people still buy tickets just to see Frenchy. If even one person spends $100 to watch him play that is more value to the Braves than some FV 30 guy who might some day get a spring training invite if he reaches his ceiling or puts in 10 of time in the minors.

Most of the Braves trade chips have so little value they literally are worth more to the Braves just to have someone physically standing at a position in the field. They may be below average, but they are less below average than whatever filler the Braves have stashed in AAA.
    Agree. Also Francouer in particular has been decent in a role and there isn't anyone that he's blocking. He's also super cheap. No real reason to move him if he has no value.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I'd trade Frenchy if we got back something of value for him, but otherwise it's not a big deal to keep running him out there. The fans like him as well as his teammates.

There's a good chance that the plan is to have him platoon with Mallex in LF or Inciarte in RF. He still hits lefties well, and could come cheap.
    I like Frenchy, but this is where I have a problem. Those guys need to be playing against LH Pitching this year. Give them a chance to succeed rather than sit them down for a veteran against Lefties.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Agree. Also Francouer in particular has been decent in a role and there isn't anyone that he's blocking. He's also super cheap. No real reason to move him if he has no value.
    He is blocking Mallex and Ender in learning to hit Lefties.