Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Minors 4/19

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Now a kid who has pitched a few games at the AA level is a "hit"?

Posi-Braves...assemble!!
    When is it OK to start judging a player?

If a guy drafted in 2015 has been successful and moved up to AA where he is pitcher superbly so far -- yea that's a hit, especially when he was a 6th round pick. He's done nothing but increase his value. Time will tell what he will ultimately become, but wouldn't you say Soroka and Allard have been 'hits'? They've only pitched a few games above AA as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I have seen enough of Cumberland that he is a non prospect in my eyes. his long loopy swing is no match for even A ball pitching. I am tired of his popup on the infield or K on fastballs down the middle.
    Shame. Considering he was a top-80 pick AND we went overslot to sign him. Looking like a double-waste.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    When is it OK to start judging a player?

If a guy drafted in 2015 has been successful and moved up to AA where he is pitcher superbly so far -- yea that's a hit, especially when he was a 6th round pick. He's done nothing but increase his value. Time will tell what he will ultimately become, but wouldn't you say Soroka and Allard have been 'hits'? They've only pitched a few games above AA as well.
    You know what, you're right. I've read countless studies about the success of various drafts, and all of them consider a guy reaching AA as a successful pick.

Oh wait, it's the opposite. Nobody has ever called a guy reaching AA a "hit" except for the King of Homers...and now you.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    You can't say they are a hit, but you CAN say they are trending in the right direction as a positive, instead of trying to make excuses for being lit up (like Newcomb) lol.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Shame. Considering he was a top-80 pick AND we went overslot to sign him. Looking like a double-waste.
    Now I haven't read countless studies on draft picks and swings, nor built numerous prospect simulators, but I might agree with you that the Cumberland pick seems to be a fail at this point. He has a really long swing and it seems over matched right now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-19-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    You can't say they are a hit, but you CAN say they are trending in the right direction as a positive, instead of trying to make excuses for being lit up (like Newcomb) lol.
    'hit' is a relative term. Anyone nit picking on that one word is just being a dick.. not much more to say about it really.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Preacher (04-19-2017), Tapate50 (04-19-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    bone head by demeritte.. had an infield single.. and then made a slight turn to 2 as the ball got away from the 1st baseman.. instead of just hustling back to first he walked slowly and got tagged out. The M-braves argued, but I saw the same thing as the ump.. Bush league call, but rules are rules. TD needed to hustle, because the next guy hit a double..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    You know what, you're right. I've read countless studies about the success of various drafts, and all of them consider a guy reaching AA as a successful pick.

Oh wait, it's the opposite. Nobody has ever called a guy reaching AA a "hit" except for the King of Homers...and now you.
    You can only judge people based on what they've done since being drafted. How has Withrow done since being drafted? So far that pick looks successful, doesn't mean ultimately it will be.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Ozzie Albies is a career .310 hitter, and has never, ever faced a pitcher younger than him.
    Love that guy, and love that factoid.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Love that guy, and love that factoid.
    this..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Ozzie Albies is a career .310 hitter, and has never, ever faced a pitcher younger than him.
    Albies has a chance to be Altuve without the double digit HR power. I really hope the Braves don't be stupid and start his service clock during his age 20 season in a desperate attempt to draw fans and "build excitement for 2018". Brandon Phillips is the perfect 1 year solution at 2B for a non-contending team.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-19-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Albies has a chance to be Altuve without the double digit HR power. I really hope the Braves don't be stupid and start his service clock during his age 20 season in a desperate attempts to draw fans and "build excitement for 2018".
    Albies is coming up this year, its going to happen.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Albies will grow into double digit power. He's small but strong. Ball jumps off his bat.

Newcomb just isn't good and will get surpassed by people in a hurry.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    He is a strange prospect. I believe that at the end of the year, he will have very similar stats to last year. The fans will say he improved by doing it at a high level. The naysayers will say he has not gained any control and will have trouble at the next level.

But nationally he will just be a prospect that gets passed by a larger number of prospects (Allard, Fried, Weigel, Soroka, Gohara, Anderson). If he is our 7th best pitching prospect, everyone will say he is slipping. I guess that is a shame, but in reality, as a Braves fan, that is a good thing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Albies is coming up this year, its going to happen.
    Another solidly stupid move that falls right in line with recent stupid moves made by the FO.

Giving up control over Swanson's age 29 season and Albies' age 27 season is beyond moronic, but it's the "Braves Way" I suppose.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    He is a strange prospect. I believe that at the end of the year, he will have very similar stats to last year. The fans will say he improved by doing it at a high level. The naysayers will say he has not gained any control and will have trouble at the next level.

But nationally he will just be a prospect that gets passed by a larger number of prospects (Allard, Fried, Weigel, Soroka, Gohara, Anderson). If he is our 7th best pitching prospect, everyone will say he is slipping. I guess that is a shame, but in reality, as a Braves fan, that is a good thing.
    I think that is a pretty good analysis. I think ultimately he ends as a reliever.. hopefully a good one.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Another solidly stupid move that falls right in line with recent stupid moves made by the FO.

Giving up control over Swanson's age 29 season and Albies' age 27 season is beyond moronic, but it's the "Braves Way" I suppose.
    heard the White Sox have room on their bandwagon. Hopefully they don't call up Moncada.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (04-19-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    heard the White Sox have room on their bandwagon. Hopefully they don't call up Moncada.
    At least Moncada is actually performing well at AAA. How was Swanson doing at the time of his call up? Oh that's right, busting down the door with a .745 OPS in AA.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    At least Moncada is actually performing well at AAA. How was Swanson doing at the time of his call up?
    what does that have to do with controlling an asset through X season for a rebuilding club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    Albies will grow into double digit power. He's small but strong. Ball jumps off his bat.

Saw some clips of him a few nights ago hitting a few off the fence and the OF'rs were still turned around running toward it. Seemed to be a solid indicator that they were smoked, instead of lollipops dropping.
    Ivermectin Man