Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Nightendale- Free agent center fielder A.J. Pollock is attracting plenty of interest, but he’s looking for close to Lorenzo Cain’s 5-year, $80 million deal with #Brewers in early talks with suitors.
    Perfectly reasonable starting point for him. just needs to be careful not to hold out too long and tank his own market as suitors move onto other options.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    gotta start high, i guess.
    Pollock could probably get that to be honest or at least pretty close to it.
    Last edited by Heyward; 11-28-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Morosi- #Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos told us last night on @MLBNetworkRadio that he has 3 remaining offseason priorities: front-of-the-rotation starting pitcher, late-inning reliever, and one more outfielder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Morosi- #Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos told us last night on @MLBNetworkRadio that he has 3 remaining offseason priorities: front-of-the-rotation starting pitcher, late-inning reliever, and one more outfielder.
    Hopefully not in that order.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Our front-of-the-rotation starting pitcher, late-inning reliever, and one more outfielder will have a monster season. Book it.
    Coppy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-28-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    And during the same interview he said that he's not particularly interested in trading multiple high-end guys for that TOR starter who they're keenly aware could blow out at any point. (Mentioned that in the other thread.) Sounded like he's open to a deal if it only included ONE of Wright/Soroka/Anderson/Touki, but not more than one.

He also said that they understand the local love for bringing Kimbrel home - especially now that Mac's back - but that there are some places they're just not comfortable tying big $$$ up. That quote wasn't directly attributed to his interest in Kimbrel, but it was pretty easy to realize that's who he was referring to.

More or less said that Donaldson was Priority #1 from the get-go, and now that Catcher has been addressed as well that he's likely going to wait and let the market come to him at this point.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Greinke and Peralta I could still see being the target. It all depends on Arizona eating a lot of money.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A pitcher like Bumgarner is much more likely to be acquired at the deadline when he proves healthy and a clear need proves to be there. I expect the Braves to be in the hunt to acquire all big names at the upcoming deadline.
    As usual, Sullivan steals my ideas.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/madi...nts-that-much/

"Last offseason, somewhat conveniently, the Giants were on the other side of a similar exchange. With Bumgarner, the Giants would be trading one of their own icons away. But you’ll recall that they traded for one of the Pirates’ icons, in Andrew McCutchen. McCutchen was coming off a better year than Bumgarner, but he was a bit older, and he also had just one year of team control left. The Pirates received position-player prospect Bryan Reynolds, and pitching prospect Kyle Crick. Reynolds, at the time, was given an FV rating of 45. Crick was given an FV rating of 40."

"Plus, if the Giants held off, maybe the team would play well enough to flirt with the wild-card race. Maybe Bumgarner’s numbers would rebound, at least somewhat. He should actually begin the season healthy. And then there’s the matter of Bumgarner’s reputation. Really, it’s the matter of his statistical performance in the playoffs. So much of the perception of Bumgarner’s value has to do with what he’s done in October. I wouldn’t expect other teams to value that too highly right now, especially since Bumgarner was a hero all the way back in 2014, but come the next trade deadline, the playoffs will be closer in view."

Fried and Allard for Bumgarner is a horrid idea, but not as bad as Albies for Dee Gordon.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    As usual, Sullivan steals my ideas.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/madi...nts-that-much/

"Last offseason, somewhat conveniently, the Giants were on the other side of a similar exchange. With Bumgarner, the Giants would be trading one of their own icons away. But you’ll recall that they traded for one of the Pirates’ icons, in Andrew McCutchen. McCutchen was coming off a better year than Bumgarner, but he was a bit older, and he also had just one year of team control left. The Pirates received position-player prospect Bryan Reynolds, and pitching prospect Kyle Crick. Reynolds, at the time, was given an FV rating of 45. Crick was given an FV rating of 40."

"Plus, if the Giants held off, maybe the team would play well enough to flirt with the wild-card race. Maybe Bumgarner’s numbers would rebound, at least somewhat. He should actually begin the season healthy. And then there’s the matter of Bumgarner’s reputation. Really, it’s the matter of his statistical performance in the playoffs. So much of the perception of Bumgarner’s value has to do with what he’s done in October. I wouldn’t expect other teams to value that too highly right now, especially since Bumgarner was a hero all the way back in 2014, but come the next trade deadline, the playoffs will be closer in view."

Fried and Allard for Bumgarner is a horrid idea, but not as bad as Albies for Dee Gordon.
    You wouldn't trade two fringe major leaguers for a world series MVP in his prime?

lol.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    You wouldn't trade two fringe major leaguers for a world series MVP in his prime?

lol.
    fried is not a "fringe major leaguer" and MadBum is not in his prime.
    try again.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    try again.
    I read crazy train post in ozzies mumbles. It actually makes it more intelligible.
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    try again.
    He's 29 years old. Verlander was considered washed when he went to Houston...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    You can't argue with them, they don't want to listen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    verlander was better AND more durable before being traded. he put up a 5.2 fWAR season before being traded the following year. that matches MadBum's best year...ever. that's not washed up at all. he was very good in 2017 before being traded.

i also didn't say he was washed up. i said he's not in his prime.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    You can't argue with them, they don't want to listen.

verlander was better AND more durable before being traded. he put up a 5.2 fWAR season before being traded the following year. that matches MadBum's best year...ever. that's not washed up at all. he was very good in 2017 before being traded.

please address, genius.
    bumgarner is not in his prime. what do you have to make that case? i'm all ears.
    verlander was not washed up and pitched extremely well the 1.5 years before being traded.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    what incentive do i have "not to listen" about bumgarner? i have literally already stated i would take him if the acquisition cost was cheap. it won't be. i think he'll outpitch anibal, and outpitch newcomb pretty easily. that doesn't mean i want to pay the price for him and bank on a rebound.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

He's 29! He had two successive mediocre seasons due to fluke injuries. Bum is going to have a huge season next year and he's going to cost a lot less at this moment than he will in July.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    He's 29! He had two successive mediocre seasons due to fluke injuries. Bum is going to have a huge season next year and he's going to cost a lot less at this moment than he will in July.
    i'm not sure where your reading is failing you.
    i never said he's finished being a useful SP. i think he will be.
    you have no idea what he'll cost rn. i believe it will be high. and like i said previously, some people have said the giants don't even seem serious about dealing him. meaning they are probably asking for a lot.

the verlander comparison doesn't match bumgarner.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

lol.
    Lol you don't even put any thought into it at all. You just see a guy who was elite a few years ago and you're willing to justify any price to have him.

Its tantamount to a child who wants some 5 dollar toy and is willing to give his parent's paycheck away to have it.

"Oooooh! Big shiny toy! I give you 1,000 dollars for big shiny toy because I like big shiny toy!"

"But son, here is the exact same toy for 2 dollars"

"Its not as shiny!!"

He's been hurt a ton. When he hasn't been hurt, his xFIP has gotten worse and worse over the past three years. He's controlled for 1 year. So no I wouldn't trade Fried and Allard for Bumgarner. And since when is Fried a fringe major leaguer? If he were still eligible he would easily be a top 100 prospect. He was also better in his 33 innings last year than Bumgarner has been the past two years.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    He's also gotten consistently worse for the past 3 years. Every metric I can find has him declining when he is available to pitch, which hasn't been super often.