Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston writer advocating acquiring Jason Heyward in the off season

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    We talk about the lack of leadership on this team and the one guy who does seem to be a leader the fans are looking to trade. I bet this would be one hell of a locker room with Jason gone since it means we'd be going even younger.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BremanFan88 View Post
    Keeping your best player is always the right option.
    Out best player signed an 8 yr extension this past winter. He's not going anywhere.
    Last edited by Carp; 08-26-2014 at 02:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Out best player signed an 8 yr extension this past winter. He's not going anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Heyward is a better player than Freddie and absolutely has higher upside. Heyward does every single thing you ask of a player on the field. Great base runner, elite defense, patient hitter. His power is only thing missing this year, and he has too much for it to be gone forever.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Does he WANT to stay is the question

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    If the return is worth it, absolutely. Heyward hasn't exactly been a world beater offensively. And while we would miss his defense, depending on the talent level of player we are getting back, it not matter all that much.

And the alternative is to lose Heyward in yr anyways and be stuck in the same situation of no Heyward. Only this time, we have nothing to show for it (aside from a draft pick)
    No the alternative is to lose Jason and be almost certainly out of the playoffs. With Jason we're a playoff team, without Jason we're a team on the outside looking in who needs a ton of breaks. I'd rather win, then hope that the return we get is enough to win later. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush is a saying for a reason. If Jason won't extend then I'd double down on next year and make it the year we go for it all. Sign Chase Headley, bring in a few veteran arms. And more.

We have a winning team despite a moron for a manager. We'll be even better next year most likely (mainly cause our 2B performance should be streets ahead)
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Headley? Lmao

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Wait a second...you guys are saying its better to hold onto Jason for one year as opposed to getting a boatload of prospects?

I'm with you in saying that do whatever it takes to sign Jason long term but if he doesn't want to stay you have to trade him and get players. Betts/Owens would be a great haul for him.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    The point is we have a team who could win the WS next year... It's tough to give up on that

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    We are not winning a WS without pitching that takes it to the next level. Time will tell if our current three young guys can provide that.

We are also not winning a WS with our current offense, especially with a massive pile of suck playing in CF.

Make every effort to sign Heyward long-term. His defense is the most valuable thing to me. But if we can't, and we're not really in it next year, you have to look at trading him. Hopefully he will regain his power. Also needs to get better against lefties.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Wait a second...you guys are saying its better to hold onto Jason for one year as opposed to getting a boatload of prospects?

I'm with you in saying that do whatever it takes to sign Jason long term but if he doesn't want to stay you have to trade him and get players. Betts/Owens would be a great haul for him.
    Yes 100% yes. If we weren't one of the best teams in the NL, then I'd say trade Jason because we need a haul, But We're one of the best teams in the NL and Jason for sure has been a healthy part of that. I would absolutely take Jason and the playoffs over prospects and likely missing the playoffs. If we get murdered with injuries and are out of the picture in June/July then you trade Jason or Justin. Seriously winning teams don't trade top players.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    lulz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama9507 View Post
    Headley? Lmao
    Headley is a massive improvement over Chris Johnson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Yes 100% yes. If we weren't one of the best teams in the NL, then I'd say trade Jason because we need a haul, But We're one of the best teams in the NL and Jason for sure has been a healthy part of that. I would absolutely take Jason and the playoffs over prospects and likely missing the playoffs. If we get murdered with injuries and are out of the picture in June/July then you trade Jason or Justin. Seriously winning teams don't trade top players.
    I don't believe we are as good as you think we are. The margin for error is so small with the team.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    lulz
    Carpe doesn't believe that defense has any value. And he doesn't believe Justin is a better hitter than Freddie for some reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't believe we are as good as you think we are. The margin for error is so small with the team.
    You don't think that we're a virtual playoff lock? Even with th eever incompetent fredi we're one of the 3 or 4 best teams in the NL. Add the WAR we lost cause of his inability to plead for TLS in May when it was obvious all our options at 2B blew, instead he decided to keep trying Pastor and Pena. Maybe Wren is to blame for that I dont' know. But if that was me after it was obvious that Uggla totally lost it. I would have been slamming my fist for TLS cause Pastor sucks. Even ignoring that we maximize our results like the Giants have, and we would be easily in the drivers seat for the Wild Card.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    This team may not even be good enough to get in the playoffs. Obviously any team that gets to the dance has a chance, but this is a 5 games over .500 team. That's an 85ish win team.

The team has major holes offensively and it will not be a quick fix. Obviously we have the 2 offensive studs that will be back. Gattis is a good hitter too, but is an injury risk and a catcher, so will only play in 130 games tops. We have below average hitters at 2B, SS, 3B, and CF and these same guys may very well be in the lineup next year. (TLS could improve some and approach league average, CJ could be right around average)

This is one of the bottom 10 offenses in all of baseball. Im not sure signing a career 114 OPS+ hitter to a mega deal is the answer. There is a chance he walks anyways.

Just for my amusement, would Boston do Gattis, Heyward for Cecchini, Swihart, and Betts? Those mega deals don't happen very often but would be a fantastic return for both teams. With the recent extensions, the money is gonna get tighter and this gives 3-4 possible everyday players for dirt cheap.

Would be an awfully young team, but with the money saved, could send Johnson and Upton packing. Sign David Ross and Seth Smith.

Ross/Swihart
    Freeman
    TLS
    Simmons
    Cecchini
    Good Upton
    Betts
    Smith

Lineup (always has to be posted) A lot of young talent plus very good on base skills

TLS
    Betts
    Freeman
    Upton
    Smith
    Cecchini
    Catcher
    Simmons
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Carpe doesn't believe that defense has any value. And he doesn't believe Justin is a better hitter than Freddie for some reason.
    What makes Upton a better hitter than Freeman?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Freddie is Mark Grace with a little more power but inferior with defense, in pitch recognition and less strike outs and he was no 20 mil a year player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    This team may not even be good enough to get in the playoffs. Obviously any team that gets to the dance has a chance, but this is a 5 games over .500 team. That's an 85ish win team.

The team has major holes offensively and it will not be a quick fix. Obviously we have the 2 offensive studs that will be back. Gattis is a good hitter too, but is an injury risk and a catcher, so will only play in 130 games tops. We have below average hitters at 2B, SS, 3B, and CF and these same guys may very well be in the lineup next year. (TLS could improve some and approach league average, CJ could be right around average)

This is one of the bottom 10 offenses in all of baseball. Im not sure signing a career 114 OPS+ hitter to a mega deal is the answer. There is a chance he walks anyways.

Just for my amusement, would Boston do Gattis, Heyward for Cecchini, Swihart, and Betts? Those mega deals don't happen very often but would be a fantastic return for both teams. With the recent extensions, the money is gonna get tighter and this gives 3-4 possible everyday players for dirt cheap.

Would be an awfully young team, but with the money saved, could send Johnson and Upton packing. Sign David Ross and Seth Smith.

Ross/Swihart
    Freeman
    TLS
    Simmons
    Cecchini
    Good Upton
    Betts
    Smith

Lineup (always has to be posted) A lot of young talent plus very good on base skills

TLS
    Betts
    Freeman
    Upton
    Smith
    Cecchini
    Catcher
    Simmons
    Any deal involving taking our best talent has to have BJ and his salary in the deal, period.