Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I enjoy Joe. I am not sure why. I recognize that he isn't particularly insightful, and he certainly seems to be in the crotchety old man stage of life. Maybe it's simply because he is so familiar.

I wish Chip would retire or switch over to announcing dog shows or fishing tournaments. It's hard for joy to live within earshot of his voice.
    Here is the issue.

Chip knows he has this job for life because of Skip's connection to Braves Fans. He has to screw up big time to lose this job. So he doesn't ever push back against Joe in the booth. 1) Because Joe was a longtime colleague with his dad at Turner. and 2) He doesn't wanna step on anyone's toes. The reason Joe has gotten worse and worse since being paired with Chip, is because Chip always sets up questions and what not to simply agree with Joe. He lays the groundwork for all questions so Joe's opinion is pretty much accepted. It's rare to see Chip even respectfully disagree with Joe. He asks Joe a question, Joe gives na answer and Chip either submits to that answer or enthusiastically rides behind the idea.

At least Sciambi was an outsider so he wasn't afraid to draw his own opinions on air.
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-31-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (07-31-2018), Metaphysicist (08-03-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Bobby wouldn't have allowed the Braves to go out like that. Joe was right!!! You don't support a cause by wearing a t-shirt. You support a cause by putting your money where your mouth is. Joe was right about the organist too for the record.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/let-us-like-baseball/

They were so so dumb they even got called out on Fangraphs.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Bobby wouldn't have allowed the Braves to go out like that. Joe was right!!! You don't support a cause by wearing a t-shirt. You support a cause by putting your money where your mouth is. Joe was right about the organist too for the record.
    I can’t fathom this take.

Joe is the ****ing worst. Period.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-03-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I can’t fathom this take.

Joe is the ****ing worst. Period.
    He really is. I don't see why he's allowed to do his job when he's always complaining about something.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    And I don't know what has happened to the Braves fanbase. We used to defend our guys. Joe is a member of the Braves Hall of Fame and has been in that booth for 26 years. Not to mention he has played in the big leagues. Three accomplishments no one on this board will match. I grew up in a world where being old school drew respect, not criticism. If you think Bobby would have allowed the Braves to take bp looking like beach bums like the Dodgers did the other night I just shake my head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    And I’ve spent a good chunk of those twenty-six years thinking he was the weakest link, by far, in the Braves’ various broadcast teams. It’s even worse the past decade-plus, when he’s become an increasingly execrable and intolerably-bitter curmudgeon who vampires the joy out of the game any chance he receives.

You don’t get plaudits for being “old school” but wrong, and with a sour attitude to boot. If Braves fandom is moving away from valuing the former at the expense of the latter, then it’s a fanbase moving in the right direction, in my opinion.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-03-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    And I don't know what has happened to the Braves fanbase. We used to defend our guys. Joe is a member of the Braves Hall of Fame and has been in that booth for 26 years. Not to mention he has played in the big leagues. Three accomplishments no one on this board will match. I grew up in a world where being old school drew respect, not criticism. If you think Bobby would have allowed the Braves to take bp looking like beach bums like the Dodgers did the other night I just shake my head.
    I'm so glad this viewpoint is being completely flushed from the Braves organization, and the world as a whole.

I can't wait for all you old white guys unwilling to accept change to finally die off so the rest of the world can advance in your absence.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-03-2018)

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    you old white guys
    Virginia is a girl's name. How dare you assume her gender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I named my nephew Virginia ...

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    who cares how bobby would handle it?
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

Chip knows he has this job for life because of Skip's connection to Braves Fans.
    i honestly think this depresses me more than thinking back to all the playoff losses

i **** you not
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Virginia is a girl's name. How dare you assume her gender.
    Actually, my name is Robert. The moniker is just something I use across the internet because it is never taken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Robert is my niece’s name.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'm so glad this viewpoint is being completely flushed from the Braves organization, and the world as a whole.

I can't wait for all you old white guys unwilling to accept change to finally die off so the rest of the world can advance in your absence.
    Meet Virginia... sigh... He isn't much for compromising. What can you expect when he comes from parents who wrestle alligators and work on carburetors. Its a damn miracle that his brother got out of there, but now he works for Trump as a mediator so I'm not sure that is much better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I'm sorry, but I'll stick up for Joe. People wanting analytics minded broadcasting from a former player color commentator are asking a bit much. He's got a billion Braves stories because he's been around this team for so long and that's all I care about.

I will say the radio crew is first rate. Powell is a terrific broadcaster and Sutton is my favorite former player to listen to. That duo is the best in the game in my book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I don’t need #analytics from a color commentator, necessarily; I just need them to not smugly and audibly hate everything about the current iteration of the game (not to mention hating—ultimately, ironically—their own sad excuse for a self-identity).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I don’t need #analytics from a color commentator, necessarily; I just need them to not smugly and audibly hate everything about the current iteration of the game (not to mention hating—ultimately, ironically—their own sad excuse for a self-identity).
    Yeah, I really don’t understand how people aren’t getting this.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-03-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I'll stick up for Joe. People wanting analytics minded broadcasting from a former player color commentator are asking a bit much. He's got a billion Braves stories because he's been around this team for so long and that's all I care about.

I will say the radio crew is first rate. Powell is a terrific broadcaster and Sutton is my favorite former player to listen to. That duo is the best in the game in my book.
    I think there is a difference between trying to get the second coming of Bill James as a color guy and having a guy that has an active hatred for all things that aren't classic ABC baseball. Joe actively pushes a narrative about baseball that tries to keep fans from buying in to the analytics movement. Not to mention the fact that he is probably the perfect personification of the "get off my lawn" old man stereotype.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-03-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    More like Abe Simpson, amirite?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-03-2018)