Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: AA's Failure

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    So far, AA's biggest flaw seems to be that he's overly cautious.

He avoided paying $110 for something worth $100 in favor of spending $9 on something worth $10, despite having $200 sitting in his pocket. He may have gotten good value, but the $10 item probably isn't good enough when competing against the team that bought the $110 item.

Of course if JD and Acuna each hit 2 HRs this weekend and the Brave won 1-2 games the whole narrative would be different.
    This is spot on.

He's being overly cautious out of fear of a couple of his bad deals in Toronto (see below). While I'm glad he's not just blindly trading players, his approach of being too cautious isn't much better. He's over corrected way too much in the opposite direction. Surely there must be a happy medium and I wish he'd find it.

1. Trades Roy Halladay to the Philadelphia Phillies for Kyle Drabek, Travis d’Arnaud and Michael Taylor.

2. Trades Mike Aviles and Yan Gomes to the Cleveland Indians for Esmil Rogers.

3. Trades Noah Syndergaard, Travis d’Arnaud, John Buck and Wuilmer Becerra to the New York Mets for R.A. Dickey, Josh Thole and Mike Nickeas.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    AA on 680. First question is asking him if they sent Touki to Gwinnett to manipulate his service time.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry that these are the people talking to AA trying to get answers.
    People don't like being mislead. People don't like politician talk. McGuirk and AA were outed as bull$hitters. They're going to have some bad pub until the team starts winning or they start being more upfront and honest.

The flip side to that is if they're too honest it will only hurt them in negotiations with agents or other GMs. That's why I'm not anti-AA right now. I do think some of his BS talk is strategy.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

He avoided paying $110 for something worth $100 in favor of spending $9 on something worth $10, despite having $200 sitting in his pocket. He may have gotten good value, but the $10 item probably isn't good enough when competing against the team that bought the $110 item.

Of course if JD and Acuna each hit 2 HRs this weekend and the Brave won 1-2 games the whole narrative would be different.
    Every time I pull up my Amazon app I have to remind myself not to buy the cheapest option. I used to all the time and it backfired more imes than not when I had to buy a better replacement. Cheap is not always the best route

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    People don't like being mislead. People don't like politician talk. McGuirk and AA were outed as bull$hitters. They're going to have some bad pub until the team starts winning or they start being more upfront and honest.

The flip side to that is if they're too honest it will only hurt them in negotiations with agents or other GMs. That's why I'm not anti-AA right now. I do think some of his BS talk is strategy.
    The BS talk is all his talk of 'well we almost completed a trade. We were 70% of the way there.' Ok dude. Quit the BS. We're not all a bunch of sheep who will believe whatever you say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Every time I pull up my Amazon app I have to remind myself not to buy the cheapest option. I used to all the time and it backfired more imes than not when I had to buy a better replacement. Cheap is not always the best route
    cheapest is not to be confused for best value

#strawman
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    This is spot on.

He's being overly cautious out of fear of a couple of his bad deals in Toronto (see below). While I'm glad he's not just blindly trading players, his approach of being too cautious isn't much better. He's over corrected way too much in the opposite direction. Surely there must be a happy medium and I wish he'd find it.

1. Trades Roy Halladay to the Philadelphia Phillies for Kyle Drabek, Travis d’Arnaud and Michael Taylor.

2. Trades Mike Aviles and Yan Gomes to the Cleveland Indians for Esmil Rogers.

3. Trades Noah Syndergaard, Travis d’Arnaud, John Buck and Wuilmer Becerra to the New York Mets for R.A. Dickey, Josh Thole and Mike Nickeas.
    The lesson AA should have learned from his time in TOR was, "If you need a TOR SP, do not trade for a 38 year old knuckle baller and then extend him into his 40s".

He should not have sworn off making any "win now" moves at all.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    The lesson AA should have learned from his time in TOR was, "If you need a TOR SP, do not trade for a 38 year old knuckle baller and then extend him into his 40s".

Even hearing him on radio today talking about Realmuto, all he could talk about was that we would've only had him under team control for two years. It's insane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

Donaldson on a one-year deal is a win now move if ever there was such a thing. Maybe not the one you would have made, but it is the definition of a win now move.

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-01-2019), Horsehide Harry (04-01-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Even hearing him on radio today talking about Realmuto, all he could talk about was that we would've only had him under team control for two years. It's insane.
    So ignorantly short sighted is another adjective we can label AA. Good to know. Jesus.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    cheapest is not to be confused for best value

#strawman
    Or is best value not to be confused with cheapest?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Or is best value not to be confused with cheapest?
    i'm not the one equating the two

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Donaldson on a one-year deal is a win now move if ever there was such a thing. Maybe not the one you would have made, but it is the definition of a win now move.
    A “win now” move implies exchanging future wins for current wins because it’s the opposite of “win later”. You know that, so arguing over these semantics seems like a silly attempt to defend AA.

Signing JD was the single most risk averse impact move made by any MLB team this off season. Nobody is complaining about the JD move. Folks are complaining that it was the only impact move made when there was a need and resources available for several more.

AA was too risk averse this off season. I’m not exactly why folks are still trying to defend AA against that mistake.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-01-2019 at 01:05 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Chico (04-01-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    A “win now” move implies exchanging future wins for current wins because it’s the opposite of “win later”. You know that, so arguing over these semantics seems like a silly attempt to defend AA.

Signing JD was the single most risk averse impact move made by any MLB team this off season. Nobody is complaining about the JD move. Folks are complaining that it was the only impact move made when there was a need and resources available for several more.

AA was too risk averse this off season. I’m not exactly why folks are still trying to defend AA against that mistake.

Yep. I probably wouldn't have signed JD since we have Camargo but it's a perfectly defensible move. It's the fact that AA was willing to go into the season with huge holes in the lineup rather than take a risk or two.

Some of the moves wouldn't even be risky. The lack of signing a couple middle relievers is baffling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Seems to me AA is on the one hand being criticized for being risk averse. And on the other for being willing to roll the dice on the young pitching.

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-01-2019)

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    The broadcast guys last night mentioned that the Marlins were asking for Acuna in any deal for JTR. Perhaps Acuna was the 30% hump that AA couldn't get over in any negotiations, at least with JTR. I get that AA has plenty of pitching trade options available to him, but if the negotiations start with Acuna or Albies (who I'm not sold on) or Wright and can't get away from those three guys, then I get why the conversations stalled. At the same time, I have yet to see a clear example of AA being a good negotiator, or maybe I've got PTSD from Duvall.

I keep going back to perhaps AA thought he was going to have more money to play with this off-season then he actually ended up with. He clearly blew his wad way too quickly on JD and McCann as has been pointed out. Perhaps he was honestly thinking he was going to make more moves at the Winter Meetings. But then he was called away from the WM suddenly to meet with ownership. Did we ever find out wtf that was about? It was very odd. Did ownership lay into him with a hard stop on spending?

That would explain why literally the only further pittance of dollars spent the remainder of the off-season was to fill the hole in RF, and with about the cheapest option available, which seemed like AA settling in a big way. Did AA promise to make a cut to the roster if ownership would just give him a few more million to fill the hole in RF? I just find it odd that AA is supposed to be this guy who pulls unexpected trades or signings out of nowhere or signs a player within an hour of a rumor launching, and yet here he re-signed the most predictable player all off-season available for the empty hole in RF. Just really seems to me that his hands were tied in a big way since the WM and he can't say that. Was Sam Freeman a casualty of having to spend money for a RF? Though I don't know why they kept Duvall in that case, other than AA's ego.

Not to defend AA. I'm still unimpressed with his off-season and impulsive purchase of JD / McCann within 5 minutes of the World Series ending. At the same time, I really hope those two guys prove me wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    The broadcast guys last night mentioned that the Marlins were asking for Acuna in any deal for JTR. Perhaps Acuna was the 30% hump that AA couldn't get over in any negotiations, at least with JTR. I get that AA has plenty of pitching trade options available to him, but if the negotiations start with Acuna or Albies (who I'm not sold on) or Wright and can't get away from those three guys, then I get why the conversations stalled. At the same time, I have yet to see a clear example of AA being a good negotiator, or maybe I've got PTSD from Duvall.

I keep going back to perhaps AA thought he was going to have more money to play with this off-season then he actually ended up with. He clearly blew his wad way too quickly on JD and McCann as has been pointed out. Perhaps he was honestly thinking he was going to make more moves at the Winter Meetings. But then he was called away from the WM suddenly to meet with ownership. Did we ever find out wtf that was about? It was very odd. Did ownership lay into him with a hard stop on spending?

That would explain why literally the only further pittance of dollars spent the remainder of the off-season was to fill the hole in RF, and with about the cheapest option available, which seemed like AA settling in a big way. Did AA promise to make a cut to the roster if ownership would just give him a few more million to fill the hole in RF? I just find it odd that AA is supposed to be this guy who pulls unexpected trades or signings out of nowhere or signs a player within an hour of a rumor launching, and yet here he re-signed the most predictable player all off-season available for the empty hole in RF. Just really seems to me that his hands were tied in a big way since the WM and he can't say that. Was Sam Freeman a casualty of having to spend money for a RF? Though I don't know why they kept Duvall in that case, other than AA's ego.

Not to defend AA. I'm still unimpressed with his off-season and impulsive purchase of JD / McCann within 5 minutes of the World Series ending. At the same time, I really hope those two guys prove me wrong.
    I hadn't heard anything about them demanding Acuna in a JTR deal. I have no doubt they asked about him but even the Fish have to know that's a silly request. I can't imagine Acuna being a sticking point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Seems to me AA is on the one hand being criticized for being risk averse. And on the other for being willing to roll the dice on the young pitching.
    You know good and well we are talking about risk as it pertains to future vs current wins. Relying on young pitching is prioritizing future wins over current wins, and I am positive you understand this fact.

The semantics you’ve chosen to argue lately are odd.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    I really think AA had good intentions after signing JD and BM, but as the other dominoes started to fall he kept being the first loser due to being too conservative.

He's like that one dude in your fantasy auction draft that spends big out of the gate to get his guy and then sits back and waits for the value to come to him and the next thing he knows all the good players are off the board and he's left with money on the table.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    You know good and well we are talking about risk as it pertains to future vs current wins. Relying on young pitching is prioritizing future wins over current wins, and I am positive you understand this fact.

The semantics you’ve chosen to argue lately are odd.
    Some of it is semantics. As I understand it your complaint with AA is not about risk aversion but about the discount rate for future season wins.

As I understand it, other posters (striker for one) have a beef with AA being risk averse. In some cases the posts that you responded to were directed more to him than anyone else. Some of his arguments seem confused. For example, take this sentence:

"It's the fact that AA was willing to go into the season with huge holes in the lineup rather than take a risk or two."

Seems to me he is simultaneously criticizing AA for taking risks with young pitchers and injury prone pitchers (in earlier posts) and taking risks with holes in the lineup while urging him to take a risk or two.

Is that semantics? Not really. It is logic. Or lack thereof.

I think we can cut through some of this confusion by being honest in acknowledging that ANY plan for building a team involves taking risks. Maybe the disagreement with what AA did has to do with the particular risks he took. But any alternative to be put forward also has risks. Is it really riskiness or risk aversion that is the basis for the complaints about what AA did?
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-01-2019 at 01:46 PM.

"I am your retribution."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-01-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

Now that you have gone soft in your old age, you contribute some quality posts. Thanks and well said.
    Ivermectin Man