Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sniffing around on Markakis; Official 4 years 44 million.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Where's Hard Hittin Mark Whitten when you need him?
    I say we sign Raul Mondesi Sr. and acquire Raul Mondesi Jr. from the Royals. Father/son combo platter.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (12-03-2014)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Raul the Elder is busy holding elected office. Instead maybe we should get both of his sons in pro ball: Raul A. and Raul, Jr.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Might as well grab EY Jr. and L'il' DeLino while we're at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Interesting Markakis article. Pay particular attention to the distance on batted ball data. Even if we don't sign him, I think it reflects poorly on our front office that we are kicking the tires on this guy.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-...nick-markakis/
    Great read, thanks for posting. I do like Aoki and hope the Braves are considering him. I think the Steamer / 600 table undervalues some of Markakis' differentiating skills when compared to Rasmus though. Markakis' durability and minimal platoon split when compared to Rasmus are somewhat washed away when there is an assumption that everyone gets 600 PAs or ABs. Rasmus is probably best used as a platoon player. Also, my memory is hazy on this, but I believe Rasmus wore out his welcome in St Louis with the staff and veteran players. Markakis seems to be well-regarded as a clubhouse guy.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Also, my memory is hazy on this, but I believe Rasmus wore out his welcome in St Louis with the staff and veteran players. Markakis seems to be well-regarded as a clubhouse guy.
    You are correct (on both accounts).

Some of Rasmus' issues, including pure LaRussa hatred, are mentioned in this semi-recent article from the (Toronto) National Post that interviews Colby's (super aggressive, punch-out-little-league-umpire type persona) father... it's pretty fascinating:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/...s-father-says/

From the same piece, an interesting bit about Ramus' relationship with Kevin Seitzer:

On Colby’s relationship with his hitting coaches in Toronto:

“It’s tough this year with a new hitting guy. He was really comfortable with Chad [Mottola] last year, and Chad really did a lot of the things that he felt made him successful. And then this year, a new guy – who’s a great guy, by the way, Kevin Seitzer – he just kind of came in and tried to do things differently. [Colby] was really comfortable with the other way. It’s just a different year, and he’s kind of failed to make the adjustments that he needed to make.

“He really likes Kevin. I think he has tried this entire year to do what Kevin wanted him to do. I think his biggest problem has always been this: I really helped him a lot his first two years [in St. Louis]. I would probably go throw BP to him every two weeks, probably, his first two years, and then I stopped. After all that stuff with Tony [La Russa] and everything, I said hey, the heck with it. You know what, if he can’t hit on his own with them guys, I don’t want to do it any more. But last year, Chad actually called me … wanted me to come up and just go through some of the stuff that Colby and I had done to help him hit. And I went a couple days and talked to Chad, and Chad started doing those things with Colby last year, and man, Colby had a great year.”

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Interesting Markakis article. Pay particular attention to the distance on batted ball data. Even if we don't sign him, I think it reflects poorly on our front office that we are kicking the tires on this guy.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-...nick-markakis/
    Well, if your going off of the past history of what type of players that our current FO admires and seeks to acquire, especially JS, then it should not be that big of a surprise. Production is valued off course, but so is leadership and the dyanamic that someone may bring to the clubhouse, and that is weighed heavily.

I'm not the biggest JS supporter in the world, and certainly not going to stick up for every move that this current FO makes or attempts to make, but at least they seem to have a plan and vision, and let's give them the benefit of the doubt and see what the final product looks like, not just now, but also in the near future. I believe we are on the right path, and might take a small step backward at the MLB on field level, but there is no doubt in my opinion that we are moving forward in the right direction trying to focus on replenishing a bare minor league system and going back to the fundamentals with scouting, securing, and developing talent. It's not always gonna work out exactly the way one wants to anticipate, but Hart and Co. have put together a staff of a multitude of different strengths and good baseball people.

And back on topic, I wonder where a lot of these stat guys would have had to say back in 1991 when JS went out and got a Pendleton, Bream, Belliard to fill needs in the short term and provide leadership and guidance to a young talented clubhouse that had yet to find their way filled with the likes of Justice, Gant, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery,etc. I mean all those guys were done(TP, Sid, Raffy), right? Same can be said a year earlier acquiring Liebrandt to mentor all the young pitchers on the staff.
    Last edited by Millwood1Hitter; 12-03-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post

And back on topic, I wonder where a lot of these stat guys would have had to say back in 1991 when JS went out and got a Pendleton, Bream, Belliard to fill needs in the short term and provide leadership and guidance to a young talented clubhouse that had yet to find their way filled with the likes of Justice, Gant, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery,etc. I mean all those guys were done(TP, Sid, Raffy), right? Same can be said a year earlier acquiring Liebrandt to mentor all the young pitchers on the staff.
    He got lucky with TP. The offensive numbers came out of nowhere. His defense was the only thing he had going for him. Plus, it's easy to be a leader and have people listen to you when you're putting up MVP type numbers.

Bream wasn't any good, but judging by his motivational speaking post career, he probably was an asset in the clubhouse. (how that translates into wins, i don't know.)

edit: Charlie Leibrandt was a good signing. He was solid for us. (sans a certain at bat in the 1991 WS)
    Last edited by Gary82; 12-03-2014 at 01:00 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Look, someone has to play RF, and the Braves are not just going to trade Gattis and JUp and completely punt 2015/2016 with an OF of Cedric Hunter/BJ/Terdo.

While I would prefer Aoki on a 2-3 year deal or Markakis on a 2-3 year deal, I don't think signing Markakis to a 4/40 deal would be the worst thing in the world. If they start to get into the 4/50 range I think there will be problems.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-03-2014 at 12:57 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (12-03-2014)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Aside from the fact TP had a career year in 91. You could see that 1990 was likely a fluke year. He had a career low 249 BABIP that year and he also provided great defense. Which was mainly what JS was trying to bring in. And Breame actually had a bad year in 91. He was worse defensively and offensively then the previous year. But again he was brought in for his defense. Not that you can really compare to today to then. Contracts weren't really an issue then. You didn't have average players asking for 12-13 million a year.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-03-2014)

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Aside from the fact TP had a career year in 91. You could see that 1990 was likely a fluke year. He had a career low 249 BABIP that year and he also provided great defense. Which was mainly what JS was trying to bring in. And Breame actually had a bad year in 91. He was worse defensively and offensively then the previous year. But again he was brought in for his defense. Not that you can really compare to today to then. Contracts weren't really an issue then. You didn't have average players asking for 12-13 million a year.
    Yeah, 1990 was a down year for TP. (maybe he was injured?)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Actually hes also had years in the high 1's in WAR as well. So no he hasnt been 2.0 to 2.5 in that span. And if 2013 is an outlier then 2014 should be as well since it was his best season in years. And I'm not convincned his average defense that he showed in 2014 is for real either as he's been well below average the previous 5 seasons. I suspect he will once again be a poor defender in 2015. He's an average player any way you look at it. And signing him for 4 seasons is a mistake given what the Braves are trying to do.
    2012 was pacing for well over 2 WAR. Only played 104 games due surgeries and breaking his thumb getting hit by a pitch. Likely the cause of his 2013 struggles as well.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    2012 was pacing for well over 2 WAR. Only played 104 games due surgeries and breaking his thumb getting hit by a pitch. Likely the cause of his 2013 struggles as well.
    injuries causing poor performance. seems like a weak excuse to me. he is what he is. but if you feel the team should sign average players to 12-13 million a year for 4 years then good for you.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If we can get him for about $12M per, then I'm good with Markakis. He's a steady player that every lineup needs.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    He isn't flashy and isn't elite on defense. He's good enough in right field though. A career .290 hitter and nearly .360
    OBP. Would be just what this lineup could use.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

Heyward (12-03-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Look, someone has to play RF, and the Braves are not just going to trade Gattis and JUp and completely punt 2015/2016 with an OF of Cedric Hunter/BJ/Terdo.

While I would prefer Aoki on a 2-3 year deal or Markakis on a 2-3 year deal, I don't think signing Markakis to a 4/40 deal would be the worst thing in the world. If they start to get into the 4/50 range I think there will be problems.
    Didn't he turn down 4/50 from the Os?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Didn't he turn down 4/50 from the Os?
    Baltimore backed away. Started hedging on the 4th year.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Baltimore backed away. Started hedging on the 4th year.
    Correct. If we could somehow get 3/30-35, I'd be down.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN · 23s23 seconds ago
    The negotiations between the Braves and outfielder Nick Markakis have intensified. Hearing the deal could wind up in range of 4/$45m.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    The fourth year is what gets me. I'm not sure I'd want to go there... but, It's a move that needs to be made IF we are going to get rid of one of Gattis or JUP.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN · 23s23 seconds ago
    The negotiations between the Braves and outfielder Nick Markakis have intensified. Hearing the deal could wind up in range of 4/$45m.
    I wonder if the Braves are going to simultaneously pull off another deal (Upton/Upton/Gattis) if this goes down.