Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40-Man Roster Crunch

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

40-Man Roster Crunch

The 40-Man stands at 42 following the Grilli and Pierzynski signings. This is bound to be the reason they're shopping Avilan. Best guess is that Constanza gets cut loose to add the other one. I'd assume they're also trying to include Pastornicky in any deals with Callaspo, Gosselin, and Peterson around and Peraza coming fast.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-26-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I think the only thing keeping Constanza safe at the moment is that we are so thin on guys who can play CF. Hart mentioned recently that Toscano is at risk of not arriving for the start of the season due to visa issues.

Since they seem intent on letting Jaime compete for a bullpen spot even though he's out of options, I think Pastornicky should be the next one to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I would move two of Cunniff, Constanza and Gil to make room for Grilli and Pierzynsky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I think the only thing keeping Constanza safe at the moment is that we are so thin on guys who can play CF. Hart mentioned recently that Toscano is at risk of not arriving for the start of the season due to visa issues.

Since they seem intent on letting Jaime compete for a bullpen spot even though he's out of options, I think Pastornicky should be the next one to go.
    That shouldn't keep Constanza safe much, if at all, as it is his weakest position in the outfield. But he has improved there a lot since we first got him, he is actually decent there now. Plus we have Cunningham on the 40-man and can add a player like Hunter who can play all three outfield positions well too. So my guess is as soon as Toscano needs to be added Constanza is the one dropped if he isn't before hand. Further, I don't agree with waiting on Jaime and certainly wouldn't DFA Pastornicky who should have some value. Jaime has a big fastball but has never shown me he's a real pitcher. I'd argue he is the next that needs to go because he has no future with us. I'd look to trade Pastornicky to a team willing to give the kid a real chance because he's never got that at second with us. Though I know his late season injury a year ago cost him his best shot.

That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if one spot is cleared via trade soon with Avilan heading elsewhere.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 12-27-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    That shouldn't keep Constanza safe much, if at all, as it is his weakest position in the outfield. But he has improved there a lot since we first got him, he is actually decent there now. Plus we have Cunningham on the 40-man and can add a player like Hunter who can play all three outfield positions well too. So my guess is as soon as Toscano needs to be added Constanza is the one dropped if he isn't before hand. Further, I don't agree with waiting on Jaime and certainly wouldn't DFA Pastornicky who should have some value. Jaime has a big fastball but has never shown me he's a real pitcher. I'd argue he is the next that needs to go because he has no future with us. I'd look to trade Pastornicky to a team willing to give the kid a real chance because he's never got that at second with us. Though I know his late season injury a year ago cost him his best shot.

That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if one spot is cleared via trade soon with Avilan heading elsewhere.
    Another thing to consider with Jamie, is that he is out of options.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I have a hard time believing any team would claim Constanza if we DFA'd him.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-28-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    Another thing to consider with Jamie, is that he is out of options.
    Right, that was noted in the post I was responding to. I agree that it is a good point. Of course, that is also true with regard to Constanza and Pastornicky too.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Jose Constanza is going to be on the 40-man roster in 2047 when we open Google Park in Holly Springs. And somehow he'll still slap enough singles through the middle of the diamond to hit an empty .235.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

goldfly (12-30-2014), jpx7 (12-28-2014), Julio3000 (12-27-2014), mcollier (12-27-2014), Metaphysicist (12-29-2014)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    If the team moves much further north it's going to be in Lake Hartwell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Right, that was noted in the post I was responding to. I agree that it is a good point. Of course, that is also true with regard to Constanza and Pastornicky too.
    I'm sorry, I didn't even read that.. I just don't see him making our bullpen -which is extremely deep now- and would have to assume some team claims him.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-27-2014)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    The Braves have an open roster spot for Grilli created when Aaron Northcraft was traded in the Justin Upton deal, so they only need to clear a spot once Pierzynski becomes official and then will need another when they official Dion Toscano. My guess is a trade of Avilan and Pastornicky who his no longer needed because of Gosselin, Callaspo and Peterson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    The Braves have an open roster spot for Grilli created when Aaron Northcraft was traded in the Justin Upton deal, so they only need to clear a spot once Pierzynski becomes official and then will need another when they official Dion Toscano. My guess is a trade of Avilan and Pastornicky who his no longer needed because of Gosselin, Callaspo and Peterson.
    You're right someone will be traded but wouldn't it make more sense to trade Jamie or Constanza along with Pastornicky since neither have options remaining as opposed to Avilan who does?

With that being said Constanza could be DFA'ed with the intention being that he's unlikely to be claimed. I would imagine some team would claim Jamie (he possess the stuff to be a late inning reliever, just has to harness his control) and feel certain Pastornicky would be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    With that being said Constanza could be DFA'ed with the intention being that he's unlikely to be claimed.
    I like the idea of DFA'ing Constanza and hoping you can bring him to camp on a minor league invite. Worst case, we lose him and have to go after some Constanza'esque free agents on minor league deals. Given our current roster, Constanza is more valuable to us than to the market and the opposite could be said of Pastornicky.

I'm perplexed by Bowman's report of Avilan being shopped. We've employed a strategy of bolstering our depth of RH relievers while we continue to have average to below average options on the LH side. Maybe we'll eventually sign a veteran LH reliever and this will make more sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I like the idea of DFA'ing Constanza and hoping you can bring him to camp on a minor league invite. Worst case, we lose him and have to go after some Constanza'esque free agents on minor league deals. Given our current roster, Constanza is more valuable to us than to the market and the opposite could be said of Pastornicky.

I'm perplexed by Bowman's report of Avilan being shopped. We've employed a strategy of bolstering our depth of RH relievers while we continue to have average to below average options on the LH side. Maybe we'll eventually sign a veteran LH reliever and this will make more sense.
    Russell and Shreve are both likely to have a much better 2015 than Avilan. I'd trade him while he still has a little value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Russell and Shreve are both likely to have a much better 2015 than Avilan. I'd trade him while he still has a little value.
    What if Russell breaks camp as our 5th starter? Then you would only have Shreve as a LH reliever (I don't foresee them giving Ian Thomas meaningful innings. He could be a DFA candidate. Would rather them trade/DFA him than trade Avilan, who has proven he can be an average to above-average LH reliever). Seems like it would be wise to keep all three for depth purposes and let them battle in the spring.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    What if Russell breaks camp as our 5th starter? Then you would only have Shreve as a LH reliever (I don't foresee them giving Ian Thomas meaningful innings. He could be a DFA candidate. Would rather them trade/DFA him than trade Avilan, who has proven he can be an average to above-average LH reliever). Seems like it would be wise to keep all three for depth purposes and let them battle in the spring.
    Russell will not break camp as a 5th starter, in all likelihood they will sign someone like Vogelsong to be the 5th starter. Hell, Chin Ming Wang will be the 5th starter before Jeff Russell will be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    Russell will not break camp as a 5th starter, in all likelihood they will sign someone like Vogelsong to be the 5th starter. Hell, Chin Ming Wang will be the 5th starter before Jeff Russell will be.
    I'm just repeating what Fredi and John Hart have said that Russell will be giving the opportunity to stretch out as a starter during the first part of camp. No matter what, I think it's a good idea to have depth in the LH reliever department.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I don't see how Avilan makes it through another year. His arm can barely handle a full inning now. Would love to unload him for something of value.

If Russell somehow wins the 5th starter job (wow), Thomas would work fine as the second LHP for the team we are going to field next year.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    You're right someone will be traded but wouldn't it make more sense to trade Jamie or Constanza along with Pastornicky since neither have options remaining as opposed to Avilan who does?

With that being said Constanza could be DFA'ed with the intention being that he's unlikely to be claimed. I would imagine some team would claim Jamie (he possess the stuff to be a late inning reliever, just has to harness his control) and feel certain Pastornicky would be.
    Again, the question of "value" rings true here - why would someone offer you anything of value for Pastornicky or Jaime? If If they don't perform well enough during camp to win a roster spot, it's counterproductive to offer a prospect for either of them unless you feel pretty strongly that someone ahead of you is likely to put in a claim before you get the chance.

I'd love to see it, but having two or more teams put in a claim for either of those guys if we DFA them would be the best late Christmas present we've gotten in a long time.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Again, the question of "value" rings true here - why would someone offer you anything of value for Pastornicky or Jaime? If If they don't perform well enough during camp to win a roster spot, it's counterproductive to offer a prospect for either of them unless you feel pretty strongly that someone ahead of you is likely to put in a claim before you get the chance.

I'd love to see it, but having two or more teams put in a claim for either of those guys if we DFA them would be the best late Christmas present we've gotten in a long time.
    I understand your point, but you think some team is going to offer anything worthwhile for Avilan? Wouldn't we be selling extremely low on him?