Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hypothetically speaking...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I get that, hopefully the QO goes away. And like I already posted -- when the change is made, I'll change the way I feel about it.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but what's the point of talking about it right now as a done deal when there's no serious reports that the change will definitely be made this offseason?
    About the same point as talking like the QO is going to remain as is?

You guys talk with certainty about Ces and Desmond costing a draft pick. That's OK while suggesting the QO is probably going away isn't OK?

Anyways, this isn't really on topic of this thread, so not worth arguing over.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The owners like it. Manfred defended it pretty strongly in a recent interview. We shall see. I doubt the whole QO concept gets jettisoned. My prediction is we see an incremental adjustment in the formula that determines what a player receiving a QO gets paid. Similar to the small adjustment made to the Super 2 cutoff in the last round.
    Well of course the owners and Manfred, their representative, like it and defend it. It saves them money.

In my opinion, the ideal solution would be to completely remove the draft pick penalty for signing a FA. Institute 2 types of QOs:

Type A is a 1 year deal at slightly less than the current QO amount and the team gets a late 2nd round pick if the player signs elsewhere.

Type B is a 3 year deal at the current QO amount and the team gets a late 2nd AND late 1st round pick if the player signs elsewhere.

That compensates teams for losing good players (type A) and franchise players (type B), while not hurting FAs' earning power in any way.