Page 16 of 75 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Viz and Teheran listed as top trade candidates

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    This #AskCoppy thing is unreal. He's amazingly forthcoming and dropping a ton of nuggets about the team's thinking a go-forward approach.
    agreed... perhaps a bit too forthcoming, but refreshing to read he gets it that the offense is abysmal

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Coppy just said he finds defensive metrics overrated and certain players get overvalued for their defense. "not naming names" he said. by saying that he's basically naming Jason Heyward.
    looks like John Schuerholz has gotten to him..... The thing is, he has no evidence in which to back up his claim, there is an equal chance that defensive metrics UNDERRATE players as overrate them.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    looks like John Schuerholz has gotten to him..... The thing is, he has no evidence in which to back up his claim, there is an equal chance that defensive metrics UNDERRATE players as overrate them.
    how do you know he doesn't have evidence? or at least his/their own way of evaluating that stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    how do you know he doesn't have evidence? or at least his/their own way of evaluating that stuff?
    because NOBODY has presented any evidence yet confirming yes or no the amount that defensive metrics rate players. It's still in it's infancy and as more and more data comes in (especially with that new tracking system) we should know more. Maybe they have some metrics of their own that he thinks overrate defense, but UZR and DRS are still up in the air. The people who CREATED these stats agree as much. But they also agree that there is equal chance they underrate as overrate.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    batter K's don't matter if they come with big power and Chavis has the potential for big power. a strikeout is really not much less valuable than any other out , not for batters.
    That is really a stretch. I doubt even the biggest Sawx knob-slobber would say that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Coppy just said he finds defensive metrics overrated and certain players get overvalued for their defense. "not naming names" he said. by saying that he's basically naming Jason Heyward.
    I hope he and the scouts have been paying attention to the contrast between Heyward and Markakis as well as Simmons and Aybar.

And to note a distinction that might matter. To say that some defensive metrics are overrated is not to say that the measured defensive contributions of a particular player or group of players is biased in one direction or another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    That is really a stretch. I doubt even the biggest Sawx knob-slobber would say that.
    .189 ISO isn't bad by any stretch. I would say that the idea of .200 isn't nuts, and .200 constitutes "big power" I reckon

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    This #AskCoppy thing is unreal. He's amazingly forthcoming and dropping a ton of nuggets about the team's thinking a go-forward approach.
    I am completely ignorant about twitter. I click on the #askcoppy link and all I see are a bunch of questions/comments from fans. Where are his answers?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I am completely ignorant about twitter. I click on the #askcoppy link and all I see are a bunch of questions/comments from fans. Where are his answers?
    Just click on the Braves twitter feed... all the posts are his answers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    https://twitter.com/Braves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    because NOBODY has presented any evidence yet confirming yes or no the amount that defensive metrics rate players. It's still in it's infancy and as more and more data comes in (especially with that new tracking system) we should know more. Maybe they have some metrics of their own that he thinks overrate defense, but UZR and DRS are still up in the air. The people who CREATED these stats agree as much. But they also agree that there is equal chance they underrate as overrate.
    ok then...so in his opinion, defense is overrated in that sense...I think that's a fine opinion to have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    "who do you like to trade with?"

Coppy: "Dave Stewart " no **** right?! lmao

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bravos4evr For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (06-24-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    ok then...so in his opinion, defense is overrated in that sense...I think that's a fine opinion to have.
    well, it's an opinion, and thus has no real merit other than on a personal level, his status doesn't give that opinion any more clout than you, I or anyone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    well, it's an opinion, and thus has no real merit other than on a personal level, his status doesn't give that opinion any more clout than you, I or anyone else.
    I think he and the FO probably have much more research and data than you or me.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Yes. I have called AJ Preller about him multiple times.

he was asked about will myers.....interesting
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Offensive metrics are more refined and reliable than defensive metrics. I think it's prudent for offensive metrics to play a bigger role in player valuation than defensive metrics. If that's what Coppy is getting at, I think it's pretty uncontroversial. His tone makes it seem like he's going a little farther than that, but it's hard to say. I'm at least encouraged that he seems to have a strong handle on defensive metrics, so any judgments he's making aren't coming from a place of general ignorance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I'd love to get Will. A few pitching prospects may do it ;)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I'm at least encouraged that he seems to have a strong handle on defensive metrics, so any judgments he's making aren't coming from a place of general ignorance.
    Maybe they just got unlucky with respect to Markakis and Aybar as far as defense goes.

Right now I would guess they like Inciarte's defense, but might sing a different tune when they trade him.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Well.... Since his opinions largely determine where the Braves go in terms of roster construction, I would say his status does give him a lot more clout than you or I.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

chopdrew (06-24-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    I think he and the FO probably have much more research and data than you or me.
    Maybe, but judging from JS's book, most saber inclined fans have been at it longer than the Braves front office has. Coppy is a step in the right direction, but I really think the team would benefit by cleaning house of all the 90's old guard and getting some more modern thinking people involved.