Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1693

Thread: The Don

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    This essay was written in 1964 about the Goldwater phenomenon, and shows that there's nothing new about Trump's schtick: The Paranoid Style in American Politics by Richard Hofstadter

“American politics has often been an arena for angry minds,” writes the professor. “In recent years we have seen angry minds at work mainly among extreme right-wingers, who have now demonstrated in the Trump movement how much political leverage can be got out of the animosities and passions of a small minority. But behind this I believe there is a style of mind that is far from new and that is not necessarily right-wing. I call it the paranoid style simply because no other word adequately evokes the sense of heated exaggeration, suspiciousness, and conspiratorial fantasy that I have in mind.”
    A must-read for this election year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Prikichi For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (07-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Lyndon Johnson once ordered an aide to smear an opponent.
    When the aide replied " but Congressman, that isn't true"
    LBJ responded, "I don't care whether it is true. All that matters is the SOB deny it"

My lord, the Trump campaign fallen into the trap

Politics1.com
    ‏@Politics1com

Paul Manafort told CBS that Trump "will not be releasing his tax returns" & Trump has "no financial relationships w/any Russian oligarchs"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    But Benghazi and emails and Bill slept around ...

{Of course not. Manafort, with his ties to pro-Russian politicians in the Uktraine can be totally trusted on that point.

How much money does Trump owe to Russian oligarchs? We don’t know.
    How much is Trump paying in taxes? We don’t know.
    Did Trump give anything to charity? We don’t know.
    What’s Trump actually worth? We don’t know.

Trump has already said he's afraid to release his taxes because he knows they contain items that could be used against him.

Trump loves to brag that he’s “tough.” But apparently he’s not tough enough to face telling the American people the truth about his taxes.
    }

Let me add, these are question coming from (R) writer George Will

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    "Russia, if you're listening, I hope you find the 33,000 emails that are missing. I think you'll be rewarded mightily by our press!"

Matthew Yglesias ‏@mattyglesias 4m4 minutes ago

Trump is openly calling on Russian intelligence to help out his campaign. Can we ponder that instead of relitigating Cold War disputes?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I hope you keep giving me reasons to vote for Hilary bc Trump is so bad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I hope you keep giving me reasons to vote for Hilary bc Trump is so bad
    “Where was Donald Trump for the days and months and years after 9/11? He didn’t stand at the pile, he didn’t lobby Congress for help, he didn’t fight for first responders. Nope. He cashed in---collecting $150,000 in Federal funds intended to help small businesses recover, even though days after the attack he said his businesses weren’t affected. It was one of our nation’s darkest days. But to Trump, it was just another way to make a quick buck.”

---Representative Joseph Crowley (D-NY)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    “Where was Donald Trump for the days and months and years after 9/11? He didn’t stand at the pile, he didn’t lobby Congress for help, he didn’t fight for first responders. Nope. He cashed in---collecting $150,000 in Federal funds intended to help small businesses recover, even though days after the attack he said his businesses weren’t affected. It was one of our nation’s darkest days. But to Trump, it was just another way to make a quick buck.”

---Representative Joseph Crowley (D-NY)
    Keep em coming.

This somehow makes Hilary a good candidate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    yes

I think it was 50 that wrote about his mothers cooking a few weeks ago.
    Go read his story

Besides she has a detailed plan to lower health insurance costs. You of all people should be all over that !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I saw an Obama quote the other day that made me laugh...

It went something like:

"When I took office, 15% of Americans didn't have health insurance. Now, because of your efforts, 90% of Americans have health insurance."

I guess he knew the Bernie supporters would eat that up... but it's kinda of sad that after all the fuss and money spent - a government mandate was only able to get us from 85% to 90%

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-28-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The man who says he has given more to Americans with disabilities than anyone else has faced a slew of lawsuits over ADA compliance.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...abilities.html

“Then I get called by a guy that can’t buy a pair of pants, I get called names?”

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

It went something like:

"When I took office, 15% of Americans didn't have health insurance. Now, because of your efforts, 90% of Americans have health insurance."

I guess he knew the Bernie supporters would eat that up... but it's kinda of sad that after all the fuss and money spent - a government mandate was only able to get us from 85% to 90%
    Naw, that sort of celebration of baby-step, insufficient progress is aimed squarely at Clinton supporters and persuadable centrists (such as they exist). Sanders supporters would spit that line out: one of their principle grievances was/is lack of single-payer.

But you're right: even though I don't think blame rests solely with President Obama, it is ****ing embarrassing that—with all the hand-wringing on one side, and political capital spent on the other—the needle was moved so little. It is ****ing embarrassing that we're not at (effectively) 100% coverage.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (07-28-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I think the biggest take away there is that the actual principled conservative movement is inherently anti racist. That the only reason the white supremacist became part of the party was because of a well intentioned but ill managed libertarian policy that was largely misunderstood. It's something that the libertarians effed up because it just wasn't a battle worth fighting.

I think this is a good chance for the actual conservative and libertarian movement to break away from the racist element within the party and combine into one party that leaves that side with the Trump folk. To try and concentrate on the most pressing issues that conservatives and libertarians face, which is protecting freedom. I think we can also peel away a lot of thoughtful moderate democrats who want some government welfare and some progressive tax, but also believe in the importance of a small federal government and the people's desire to mostly be left alone. Obviously the more extreme wing of the liberal party like black lives matter and new wave feminists will stay in the democratic party. What you could see is the democrat party turn into the party of racial divide in which you actually see white supremacists, Islamists and black lives matter wind up working together, as crazy as that sounds. I could see it possibly happening, because at the end of the day they both kind of want the same thing. A separation by race, religion and gender
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

It went something like:

Unless of course you are one of those 5 in 15
    It took over 20 years after Jackie Robinson to take the white colored - white signs off of water fountains.
    Progress takes time

5% in 3 years is 5%
    an improvement of 33%.

What improvement was forecast for 2007 ?
    Measure it that way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Unless of course you are one of those 5 in 15
    It took over 20 years after Jackie Robinson to take the white colored - white signs off of water fountains.
    Progress takes time

5% in 3 years is 5%
    an improvement of 33%.

What improvement was forecast for 2007 ?
    Measure it that way
    It's actually a 6% improvement... but I recognize math is tough on you

I'm just surprised and disappointed... After all of that, and all of that money spent, we still only have 90%... i mean, they made it illegal to not have health insurance... and they improved by 6%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    David Frum ‏@davidfrum · 17m17 minutes ago

One of the commenters contributed a brilliant line: “The Trump campaign is the Pickett’s Charge of the culture war.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Mike Pence Says Roe v. Wade Will Be Overturned If Trump Is Elected
    By Claire Landsbaum

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/07/mike...verturned.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I don't know if this is real or not, but if so, Trump has surprised me again. This article is about the RNC gift bag Trump gave out to attendees. In the bag was a Trump book, a few glasses with "Make America Great Again" written on them, a hat with same, and . . . you would NEVER in a million years guess.