Thread: Braves acquire Alex Jackson from SEA for Whalen and Povse

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    The shine has worn off on him and he may never amount to anything, but the trade makes a ton of sense. Lot of power and just hope he figures how swing mechanically (too long). I would move him back to catcher where he's not asked to hit as much, but talk is that he's too big and stiff now to play catcher.

High upside/low chance of getting there is fine for 2 fringe pitchers in a crowded 40 man roster.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-28-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Maybe the PTBNL is to give us time to shuffle the 40-man roster? Not really sure why else they wouldn't announce a player or money or future considerations.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdat View Post
    Maybe the PTBNL is to give us time to shuffle the 40-man roster? Not really sure why else they wouldn't announce a player or money or future considerations.
    Usually they want to scout a few players a bit longer before they decide which one they want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

drewdat (11-29-2016)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    The shine has worn off on him and he may never amount to anything, but the trade makes a ton of sense. Lot of power and just hope he figures how swing mechanically (too long). I would move him back to catcher where he's not asked to hit as much, but talk is that he's too big and stiff now to play catcher.

High upside/low chance of getting there is fine for 2 fringe pitchers in a crowded 40 man roster.
    "talk is"? Would kinda like a source or link to a very specific comment like this. Kid is still only 21 and has only played the outfield as a pro.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I was thinking Whelan was on 40-man, but that was not the case. They still have to make a move to make room for Rodriguez.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Wow. I like Povse and Whalen, but this is a perfect trade for us. We got exactly what we need. Will it work out? Who knows. But you make this trade every single day if you're us. In that light, it's an excellent move for Seattle. Awesome swap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I like the trade for Seattle. But where do you put Povse and Whalen? Neither of them really fit into our long term rotation plans and are behind 10 other minor pitchers.
    Yeah. Povse is about #10 for starting pitchers in the system. But the pecking order evolves quite a bit over time. I think he has a better chance of having a productive major league career than Jackson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdat View Post
    Best I can come up is that the PTBNL is eligible for the Rule 5 draft. So we need to wait to ensure the player isn't take before the trade can be completed. If the player is taken, we'd move to an agreed upon plan B player.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I was thinking Whelan was on 40-man, but that was not the case. They still have to make a move to make room for Rodriguez.
    Whalen had to be. He pitched in the bigs last year. No way he cleared waivers.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    This part caught my eye:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/atlanta-braves

Does anybody know much about this kid?
    Povse is a groundball pitcher and has solid control numbers. He was the Braves' 3rd round pick in 2014 and the pick was largely derided given his uneven performance at UNC-Greensboro and some injury issues. Could be one of DeMacio's sleeper picks that turns into something. I think his performance in Mississippi put him on the radar.

I like Whalen, but he could be one of those AAAA guys who simply eats up minor league competition but lacks the stuff to be consistently effective at the major league level. No questioning his competitiveness and sometimes those guys succeed solely on their will.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-30-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Don't know much about Clinton but from the pitching numbers it looks as if it must be an extreme pitchers park.

As for the comparison with Davidson, I think Jackson has shown mush more at this point, which still isn't saying a ton.
    It doesn't matter if it's a pitchers' park if you're not making contact. I'm fine with the deal. Curious to see if they move Jackson behind the plate.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-29-2016), jpx7 (11-30-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Just updating my organizational depth chart and the thought occurred to me that this trade also may signal that they saw enough in Weigel, Mader, and Withrow last season that made them want to clear the path ahead of them a bit. Assuming Newcomb progresses as hoped this season, you'd still have plenty of competition for the #4 and #5 spots for 2018 in...

Wisler
    Blair
    Fried
    Sims
    Weigel
    Mader
    Withrow

and you'll still have to figure out what to do with

Gant
    Jenkins
    Ellis
    Beech

That's 11 arrns for 12 back-end, AAA, and AA spots without signing or trading for anyone outside the organization or fast-tracking anyone.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah. Povse is about #10 for starting pitchers in the system. But the pecking order evolves quite a bit over time. I think he has a better chance of having a productive major league career than Jackson.
    I think he has a better chance of making the majors, but I don't think he has a better chance of being productive once he's there. Povse is the kind of guy who, best-case, is probably something like a 1-2 WAR guy in either the rotation or bullpen. There's value there, but he's not a difference-maker. Jackson has less of a chance of making the majors at this point, but he is a potential difference-maker. And when you have enough pitching in the minors to have a bunch of potential difference-makers and a bunch of guys who could get to that 1-2 WAR level, I think it more than makes sense.

As far as being #10 in the system, I put those 10 as Newcomb, Allard, Anderson, Fried, Toussaint, Soroka, Weigel, Wentz, Sims, and Muller. To me, Povse is not on the same level as those 10. I know you said about 10, but when you have at least 10 pitching prospects in your system clearly better than someone, isn't he the definition of expendable at that point? And that doesn't include other young guys like Folty, Wisler, and Blair.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Best I can come up is that the PTBNL is eligible for the Rule 5 draft. So we need to wait to ensure the player isn't take before the trade can be completed. If the player is taken, we'd move to an agreed upon plan B player.
    That very well could be the case. I looked up a couple of articles on their best unprotected players and there are a few of interest who did not get protected. Tyler Marlette AA catcher Dylan Unsworth AA starter and Tyler Smith AAA infielder.

http://www.outsidepitchmlb.com/seatt...ners-cho/56727

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I can't see how anyone does not like this deal.

All we complain about is too many pitchers. In this case we trade pitching for a bat and open up a 40 man spot we needed open.

Yes the most likely outcome is that he never plays an inning in MLB. But he's young, he's talented he's a position player.

I think this deal is amazing and I liked Povse.

The chance that Povse and Whalen can be filled by the current system or the next draft is about 99%. The Braves getting a high upside bat is much lower.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I like everyone else love this deal. Sell high and buy low. Trade from depth. It's really that easy. Whalen and Povse were both at their peak value. Jackson is at his lowest value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    That very well could be the case. I looked up a couple of articles on their best unprotected players and there are a few of interest who did not get protected. Tyler Marlette AA catcher Dylan Unsworth AA starter and Tyler Smith AAA infielder.

http://www.outsidepitchmlb.com/seatt...ners-cho/56727
    Why not complete the trade now and not wait on them to be exposed to the Rule 5 anyway? Not sure that helps anyone in this scenario
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    FWIW, J. J. Cooper wasn't that big on the deal - explains that it makes sense only because of our depth and recommends a move back behind the plate as well.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Why not complete the trade now and not wait on them to be exposed to the Rule 5 anyway? Not sure that helps anyone in this scenario
    Presumably for 40-man considerations. If we complete the trade for such a player before the Rule 5 draft, we have to put them on the 40-man, but if they aren't taken, we can maintain flexibility.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's a pitchers' park if you're not making contact. I'm fine with the deal. Curious to see if they move Jackson behind the plate.
    But just making contact isn't his game and never has been and shouldn't be expected moving forward.

Andrelton Simmons made contact with just about everything but wasn't very effective as a hitter.

Jackson's K rate is a little concerning but might be affected by things like foul territory, backdrop, lighting, etc., at least to an extent.

Jackson's average may also be affected by park size (too many HR fly ball caught on the track), foul territory, backdrop, mound height, etc.

A park can have an impact just from an intimidation factor alone.

As far as Jackson behind the plate, I bet they will at least give it a try. A .250, .350, .500 catcher with 30% K rate is an All-Star if his defense is average or better.