Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Extend Inciarte

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is a pretty great signing. At the very worst, Ender is an excellent 4th OFer and "worth" this contract. Best case scenario he improves offensively like many of you predict and the Braves have an asset as valuable as Eaton.

I think this contract makes Mallex completely expendable. Inciarte is now controlled longer than Mallex, so there is no advantage to downgrading from Inciarte to Mallex. I wouldn't be shocked to see Mallex traded very soon to a team in need of a cheap CFer.
    The more likely route is for Mallex to stay with us and build his value. Either hold down a corner for a long time, or long enough to establish some value.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Would it kill Jon Heyman to write in capital letters when appropriate on the Twitter? The man is an exceptional writer for this to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Would it kill Jon Heyman to write in capital letters when appropriate on the Twitter? The man is an exceptional writer for this to happen.
    For some reason, Twitter is just a whole different animal for writers -- especially, sports guys. I just feel like people don't care.

I mean, I rarely care about my grammar on this website and I'm a digital producer/website production manager at a news station. lol

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Very good signing. I like the 3.5M signing bonus. It's a good way t spend now and make him cheaper in the future trade 2-3 years from now. He should provide a very good bridge to Acuna. I do beleive this makes Mallex expendable. As exciting as it would be to have he and Mallex in the same OF we don't have the power at other positions for it to make sense right now. If we had a Brian Dozier at 2B or Gary Sanchez at catcher then it might make more sense.

The A's are the team we match up well with, IMO. Guys like Sean Doolittle and Matt Chapman make a lot of sense for us. The A's have to take chances on guys whose value is low like Wisler and Blair and hope they get a steal.

The Orioles are another team who needs defense and OBP from an OF. Adam Jones can be moved to a corner spot until he's traded or let walk. Mallex could take over in CF. We know they already asked for him. I'd love a deal involving Sisco somehow.

The Royals would be another team, if they realize it's a good time to sell on Cain to replenish their farm system.

The White Sox and Tigers are two other teams who could use a guy like Mallex.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Wouldnt have been against trading him for a haul but cant complain with this move.
    Imo, this actually increases his value if we ever did want to trade him in the next year or so.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Imo, this actually increases his value if we ever did want to trade him in the next year or so.
    He has something like 80+ in surplus value now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Love the deal. He has improved all 3 seasons in the majors so we might not have seen his best yet. I am glad he took the guaranteed money, I have no sympathy for players that pull a Francoeur. Ender wasn't a big time prospect and probably didn't get a big signing bonus. Now he is secure for the rest of his life.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (12-24-2016)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Well extented.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It does increase his value, there's no doubt about that.... but I'm sure the Braves would tread carefully on extending a young player only to turn around and trade him. Would perhaps make future discussions with guys like Swanons/Albies/Folty ect... a little more difficult.

Love the deal for the Braves.

That Shelby trade just keeps looking better and better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    It does increase his value, there's no doubt about that.... but I'm sure the Braves would tread carefully on extending a young player only to turn around and trade him. Would perhaps make future discussions with guys like Swanons/Albies/Folty ect... a little more difficult.
    ahem...simmons....kimbrel...not picking on the braves....it is understood extented players can be traded...eaton...sale....etc...etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    How much surplus value did Melvin have when he signed? Inciarte could tank next year for all we know. This surplus **** is more imaginary stats that assume a lot. If it's ever confirmed that war and surplus value is the main way the Braves evaluate and make deals I am out. There is so much more to this game. It isn't played on paper.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    How much surplus value did Melvin have when he signed? Inciarte could tank next year for all we know. This surplus **** is more imaginary stats that assume a lot. If it's ever confirmed that war and surplus value is the main way the Braves evaluate and make deals I am out. There is so much more to this game. It isn't played on paper.
    BJ had zero surplus value because he signed with the highest bidder. Just because you don't understand surplus value doesn't make it imaginary.

Hate to break it to you, but all teams make deals based on surplus value.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-23-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Ender is maybe my favorite Braves player. Last year there was a game where he got a hit and hustled to stretch it into a double. He then caught the right fielder sleeping and tagged up on a pop to right he had no business advancing on. It was just pure hustle. Finally, he scored on a wild pitch that barely got away from the catcher.

He manufactured a run out of hustle and heads up baseball. That's stuff that's hard to quantify but invaluable on the field.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (12-26-2016), BedellBrave (12-23-2016), Braves1976 (12-23-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    You understand that the "paper" is based on how players performed and are expected to perform in the future, right? That's always been how deals are made.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Ender is maybe my favorite Braves player. Last year there was a game where he got a hit and hustled to stretch it into a double. He then caught the right fielder sleeping and tagged up on a pop to right he had no business advancing on. It was just pure hustle. Finally, he scored on a wild pitch that barely got away from the catcher.

He manufactured a run out of hustle and heads up baseball. That's stuff that's hard to quantify but invaluable on the field.
    Agreed. There will always be things that are not quantifiable unless you watch the games.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

I love Inciarte, and these kind of things are accounted for in advanced metrics. Obviously there are limits to it, and it's hard to ever know if things are being valued accurately, but part of Inciarte's value comes from being an above-average baserunner, and it does factor into his WAR.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Actually they do measure the ability to get an extra base.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Then see ya. It's basically a guarantee that the Braves' version of things like WAR and surplus value is a large factor in the way they make personnel and financial decisions.

How would you prefer them to do it? 'Hmm, that guy made a couple good plays and looks pretty good, let's give him...uh...20 million?'

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Terrific deal. Hart was really the first guy to do these FA1-2 contracts with the Indians, so not surprising to see the device being used here.

If Mallex Smith proves to have 15-20 HR power along with leading the league in triples and stolen bases every year, and presuming strong defense, that would play nicely in RF.
    Has anyone other than u said he could ever be a hitter like that? I've never seen double digit hrs projected much less 20

I want no part of kemp in rf