Thread: Ronald Acuna is a star

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    yall are a little late boarding the acuna hype train
    Geez, he's only 18. How late can I be? Aren't we all early adopters?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Geez, he's only 18. How late can I be? Aren't we all early adopters?
    That would be Angelina Jolie

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (12-20-2016), zbhargrove (12-22-2016)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    DVR'd the Aussie All Star Game. Acuna led off with a hard hit double in the gap to right center. Got picked off by a deceptive move, or he would have stolen third. Hit the ball hard the second time, but right at the second baseman. Walked easily the third time and promptly stole second, beating a good pop up and throw very easily. Struck out the last time on a borderline fastball looking, after getting fooled on a breaking ball and missing a hanger. Didn't look particularly off balance on misses, and his swing on the double looked very relaxed. The miss on the hanger was a vicious cut. Doesn't have much of crouch. In fact, I would call it a fairly unique largely upright stance, with a somewhat pronounced leg kick that he uses, I think, as more of a timing mechanism than a power generator.

I fast forwarded all but his at bats, but did notice that at least one ball was hit to him in right, a tailing liner that he got a good jump on and caught with a bit of flair. I am not much of an analyst, but thought my mediocre description might be of some interest to those who haven't seen him. He also looks like a kid. I think he's bigger than it might appear at first glance.
    Last edited by jimsnores; 12-22-2016 at 09:48 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jimsnores For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-23-2016), clvclv (12-23-2016), Managuarantano's Volunteers (01-03-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Just saw this in a chat with Fangraphs' lead prospect writer. I knew Acuna was starting to move up rankings for a lot of people, but I guess I didn't realize how much. This is pretty cool.

Buff
    1:48 Please rank: Moniak, Ray, Senzel, Acuna.

Eric A Longenhagen
    1:48 Acuna, Moniak, Senzel, Ray

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Just saw this in a chat with Fangraphs' lead prospect writer. I knew Acuna was starting to move up rankings for a lot of people, but I guess I didn't realize how much. This is pretty cool.

Buff

Eric A Longenhagen
    Not a surprise. BP has Acuna our #2 prospect after Swanson. And they ranked Albies #21 overall in their midseason report. Acuna is likely to make a huge jump in most lists.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

Buff

Eric A Longenhagen
    I was literally just about to post the exact same quote. Looks like I need to do more research on Mr. Acuna.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I wish Acuna wouldn't have gotten hurt. I'm betting he has a monster season this year.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I wish Acuna wouldn't have gotten hurt. I'm betting he has a monster season this year.
    I assume you mean last year? It would have been nice to see full season development, but it didn't seem to arrest his progress much, and the Australian League experience seems to have kept him on track. I don't think he is behind where he would be if he hadn't gotten injured, though I suppose there is no way to know for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Depending on Albies promotion timeline the Braves could have 3 top 25 overall prospects which are hitters. Maybe throw one or two pitchers in that mix as well (Allard/Fried).
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    IN addition to the Acuna blurb Eric also mentioned the following:

1) Didn't scoff at Weigel being a potential #2 but doesn't think it will happen.

2) Albies is a top 20 prospect

3) Doesn't think Demeritte is all that close to Albies in terms of ability.

4) Still thinks Newcomb is better than either Fried/Weigel BUT if the reports hew as getting about Fried during the year were true then its Fried.

5) This is what he said about Newcomb later on, "Stuff is great, has late bloomer traits due to his small school, northeastern pedigree."
    Natural Immunity Croc

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post

1) Didn't scoff at Weigel being a potential #2 but doesn't think it will happen.

4) Still thinks Newcomb is better than either Fried/Weigel BUT if the reports hew as getting about Fried during the year were true then its Fried.

5) This is what he said about Newcomb later on, "Stuff is great, has late bloomer traits due to his small school, northeastern pedigree."
    ...and the fact he played football. He doesn't have the innings these kids in the South who start playing travel ball at 10 do, and are not allowed to do anything but throw a ball 9 months out of the season.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    ...and the fact he played football. He doesn't have the innings these kids in the South who start playing travel ball at 10 do, and are not allowed to do anything but throw a ball 9 months out of the season.
    I'm 100% in on Newcomb. When you strike out a lot of guys and don't let up a lot of hits thats a great sign.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    I'm 100% in on Newcomb. When you strike out a lot of guys and don't let up a lot of hits thats a great sign.
    All of the above is encouraging about Newcomb. I am petty excited about Fried, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    That cuts both ways, of course. Less experience, low miles. But it always bothers me when a guy gets to this age and this point and still can't throw strikes, whether they've played other sports, they're left handed, grown up in Nova Scotia or whatever. I gotta see him more than clips to form an opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts

Another evaluator who is ignoring Albies' poor hitting at Gwinnett. I know he lit up Mississippi, but why is everyone so willing to dismiss that inconvenient fact? I'm not saying otherwise, since I haven't seen him every day and some of you guys have. I'm just asking. Can somebody help me out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsnores View Post
    All of the above is encouraging about Newcomb. I am petty excited about Fried, too.
    I like guys who deal in playoff games. That's a really good litmus test, IMO.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Another evaluator who is ignoring Albies' poor hitting at Gwinnett. I know he lit up Mississippi, but why is everyone so willing to dismiss that inconvenient fact? I'm not saying otherwise, since I haven't seen him every day and some of you guys have. I'm just asking. Can somebody help me out?
    Because he's 19 and had a .290 BABIP (low for someone with that speed in the minors). He walked the same and struck out the same in AA and AAA. He wasn't being dominated at all. Oh and small sample size. The real question is why do you think this is a death knell for him.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I can help you. I'm not going to spout a lot of numbers but other than a few emerging position prospects, no one barrels balls as much. First hand from Rome, Miss and Gwinnett, I've never seen him seem over his head even when he slumps.

Strengths I saw - Bat speed, more quick than fast to me, still think he's very good at SS with good range that's better at 2b. Great IQ and as small as he is, he's a leader. 4/5 tools you want with underestimated power.

Opportunity- experience. Can get ahead of himself.

That's it. I've seen him 20 times in Rome. 5 each in MS and Gwinnett. He was really coming on before going back to MS.

There's a reason many evaluators struggled with Swanson or Albies as our #1.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Managuarantano's Volunteers (01-03-2017), nsacpi (01-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Because he's 19 and had a .290 BABIP (low for someone with that speed in the minors). He walked the same and struck out the same in AA and AAA. He wasn't being dominated at all. Oh and small sample size. The real question is why do you think this is a death knell for him.
    I don't. Please reread my question.

And while it's a SSS, it is a half year. Not an insignificant percentage of the total data we have to work with. Thanks for educating me on the BABIP, I didn't know that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I can help you. I'm not going to spout a lot of numbers but other than a few emerging position prospects, no one barrels balls as much. First hand from Rome, Miss and Gwinnett, I've never seen him seem over his head even when he slumps.

Strengths I saw - Bat speed, more quick than fast to me, still think he's very good at SS with good range that's better at 2b. Great IQ and as small as he is, he's a leader. 4/5 tools you want with underestimated power.

Opportunity- experience. Can get ahead of himself.

That's it. I've seen him 20 times in Rome. 5 each in MS and Gwinnett. He was really coming on before going back to MS.

There's a reason many evaluators struggled with Swanson or Albies as our #1.
    Nice. Thanks for this. Do you feel his arm would play at SS? Good to hear about the barreling balls up and the trending (I did know that) and the leadership. Do you think he's a leadoff or a two? I like a little power at two.