Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will be the stud and who will be the dud?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Who will be the stud and who will be the dud?

I believe the following two players will have a big impact on our success this postseason (in a good and bad way):

Stud:
    Andrelton Simmons - all the attention goes to his glove but I am a big believer in his bat and I have a feeling he is going to but out in a big way

Dud:
    J-Upt - I am not happy with where his swing is right now and I get the impression that he might try to press a little more than normal in the playoffs
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Stud: Gattis - legend will grow further. I expect a dramatic home run or two out of him against the Dodgers

Dud: Chris Johnson - the BABIP gods will desert Chris and on his next head-first slide a bunch of dirt will lodge in his sinal passages, requiring surgery and sidelining him for the rest of the season. TP will stay behind with him to hold his hand in the hospital as he recovers.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-01-2013), thethe (10-01-2013)

High School Draftee ProbationDeac's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I believe the following two players will have a big impact on our success this postseason (in a good and bad way):

Stud:
    Andrelton Simmons - all the attention goes to his glove but I am a big believer in his bat and I have a feeling he is going to but out in a big way

Dud:
    J-Upt - I am not happy with where his swing is right now and I get the impression that he might try to press a little more than normal in the playoffs
    I actually feel really good about J-Up right now, he appeared to be heating up to end the season. I agree on Simmons, I just get the feeling he's going to come through in a big way.

Stud-

Jason Heyward- I think it's huge to have him back. He's starting to swing the bat again and I think he'll have some big hits in the playoffs.

Dud-

McCann struggled the last month and add the injury and I think he'll continue to struggle. HOPE I am wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I wanted to go with Heyward but I am almost so sure about him doing it I didn't even think it was worth putting him in there.

I hope you are right about Upton. I think more than anyone else on the team he can completely wreck a series and win it for the team. So much potential in his bat but he just disappears so often.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Stud: My mancrush, JUp. I fully expect him to go full-Beltran in the postseason. He seems to play better when he has extra motivation (first few weeks with a new team, games against his old team, right after Huddy went down for the season, the last couple weeks to clinch the NL East), so I expect big things from him.

Dud: Gattis. I have a feeling the 3 Dodger studs are going to completely carve him up. And by carve him up, I mean make him routinely look foolish in front of the whole nation on prime time TV. If he sees a single fastball to hit I would be very surprised. I expect his defense in LF to hurt the team in the same way Chipper's did last year, and Conrad's did a few years ago...game changing error(s).
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-01-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Dud:
    He's batting .328/.359/.525 since September 13th. What's not to like about that?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProbationDeac View Post
    I actually feel really good about J-Up right now, he appeared to be heating up to end the season. I agree on Simmons, I just get the feeling he's going to come through in a big way.

Stud-

Jason Heyward- I think it's huge to have him back. He's starting to swing the bat again and I think he'll have some big hits in the playoffs.

Dud-

McCann struggled the last month and add the injury and I think he'll continue to struggle. HOPE I am wrong.
    Giving Laird the start against Kershaw might not be the worst move in the world...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyates View Post
    He's batting .328/.359/.525 since September 13th. What's not to like about that?
    Nothing. Saying something like "I am not happy with where his swing is right now" is laughable coming from an internet forum poster.

JUp seems to have a bit of a motivation problem, which is likely why he fell out of favor in AZ. Turn up the intensity level of the games, and he seems to respond. I hope to see more of the same in the playoffs.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    JUp absolutely pounded the ball on Saturday. I think he's ok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyates View Post
    Yes he turned it on towards the end of the month and had a big game against Philly but I just don't think he is what people think he is. He has that potential but he hasn't shown it to the Braves yet on a consistent basis.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Nothing. Saying something like "I am not happy with where his swing is right now" is laughable coming from an internet forum poster.

JUp seems to have a bit of a motivation problem, which is likely why he fell out of favor in AZ. Turn up the intensity level of the games, and he seems to respond. I hope to see more of the same in the playoffs.
    Why is that first comment even necessary? If you don't like what I said then just provide details as opposed to just attacking the poster.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Why is that first comment even necessary? If you don't like what I said then just provide details as opposed to just attacking the poster.
    Because it was a silly statement to make. As if you are a hitting coach with a direct line to JUp himself and can call him in for a quick tee session to get his swing back up to your standards. Or you have spent hours analyzing JUp's swing mechanics during his hot/cold periods and have isolated a problem in his current swing.

I'm guessing none of that is true.

Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Stud: Terry Pendleton - He will be huge enforcer for us on the basepaths AND in the dugout.
    Dud: Tim Hudson - I just think he's going to come up empty this series. I don't think he'll get any wins or even a strikeout.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrShwag For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (10-01-2013), thethe (10-01-2013)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Stud: JUp

Dud: CJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Stud: Justin, CJ, and Gattis

Dud: McCann, Freeman, and Uggla

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

Stud:

Dud:
    Well at least you've stuck with your stance against upton all season long

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Stud: freeman
    Dud: McCann

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg2309 View Post
    the gonna the.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ESP47 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (10-01-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg2309 View Post
    I'm hard on him (not that that means anything in reality) because its clear he has the ability to be a star. Why it hasn't happened yet on a consistent basis is a damn mystery.
    Natural Immunity Croc

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Garmel (10-01-2013), JohnAdcox (10-01-2013)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Giving Laird the start against Kershaw might not be the worst move in the world...
    Or Gattis, given BJ's semi-resurgence. (The latter half of that is not meant seriously.) I assume BJ and Uggla don't count for the dud category? Fish in a barrel and all that?