Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough Question

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Tough Question

If you can extend Fried, Dansby, and Riley with the Goldschmidt-type deal Freddie apparently wants, where are YOU spending your cash???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    I would go with the young guys if it’s a choice. I’m hopeful they are not mutually exclusive and I hope we can get a better deal on Freddie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    I don't worry about accommodating Dansby until I have Riley, Fried and Freeman on paper.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chopdrew For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-09-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    out of those guys FF.

I know FF is older. But he's way more proven and plays 1B.

Fried is good, but I'm not sure he's a top 50 pitcher. He's had TJ. He has had some injuries. He seems like a guy that needs to limit his starts.
    Dansby I just don't think is that good of a player. He's good, but I don't think he's an impact guy and the Braves self limited payroll says don't pay that much for that type of player.
    Riley I don't believe in yet. I am loving this, but he still seems to be a guess hitter and mistake hitter. Defense has not been great. I would not extend him without 2 years of plus 800 OPS baseball.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    If Riley hits well next season he's a perfect candidate to buy out arb years and extend 2 additional years (through age 30). Everything depends on price but he's at a good age where buying out additional years won't be going into his decline phase.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,025 Posts
    We don't need to be signing Dansby to any extension

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

thewupk (06-09-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,398 Posts
    You might want to think about buying Riley’s arb years now with a few option years to boot. He seems like a guy who will consistently produce 2-3 wins for you so buy in now on that low number before he turns into a monster that we can’t afford. If he doesn’t then you probably still have good value with him being Riley of last year.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    You might want to think about buying Riley’s arb years now with a few option years to boot. He seems like a guy who will consistently produce 2-3 wins for you so buy in now on that low number before he turns into a monster that we can’t afford. If he doesn’t then you probably still have good value with him being Riley of last year.
    That's fair, but that is a gamble.

the original question I read is you are offering the Goldy deal of 5/130. I'm not doing that to Riley.

If he wants to sign an Albies deal, then I'm in. But there is a lot between Albies and Goldy.

I liked the Ender extension at the time...

FF extension was 8/135....anyone doing that for Riley? I'm not.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I read the question as extending all 3 for the Goldschmidt money $135M. I would do that in a heartbeat right now. Riley with his supposed versatility would be the headliner and most money. I suggest once again, look at comparison to Mike Schmidt at same age as AR. Fried I look at as a middle rotation guy going forward. Swanson, this is a perfect time to offer an extension at affordable money with the soon to be glut of premium SSs.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,398 Posts
    Riley wouldn’t get a huge contract. He is making league minimum for the next two years. Then 3 arb. Buy the 4 remaining years out at 40ish mill with 2 10 million option. That is buying him at 1.5 war player basically. Those option years might need to be higher.
    Coppy

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Riley wouldn’t get a huge contract. He is making league minimum for the next two years. Then 3 arb. Buy the 4 remaining years out at 40ish mill with 2 10 million option. That is buying him at 1.5 war player basically. Those option years might need to be higher.
    Assuming the future bargaining system is as it is currently????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    i can't believe people are this sold on Riley already.

You could put this off and pay more if he really is a 850+ OPS guy. But I would take that risk to make sure he's this guy before offering an extension.

There will be a work stoppage next year. Likely a shortened season. So there will be changes to the system.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    i can't believe people are this sold on Riley already.

You could put this off and pay more if he really is a 850+ OPS guy. But I would take that risk to make sure he's this guy before offering an extension.

There will be a work stoppage next year. Likely a shortened season. So there will be changes to the system.
    Any changes to the system will most likely benefit the player. Probably better to extend. And as for Riley he has shown real improvement. If you can get him signed on deep discount for the years you control him anyways then it is worth the risk. Especially if you can get options on the first two FA years to boot.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    Fried is already controlled through his age 30 season.

Swanson is controlled for 1 more year after this, and has settled in as a ~2 win guy.

Riley is controlled for another 4 years after this, and strikes me as an early decline guy (corner bat with a razor thin margin of error in terms of bat speed decline).

I see no reason to extend any of them.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-09-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If you can extend Fried, Dansby, and Riley with the Goldschmidt-type deal Freddie apparently wants, where are YOU spending your cash???
    I wouldn't extend Dansby, Fried, or Riley right now unless they are willing to give the same discount Acuna/Albies gave. I also wouldn't give Freddie that deal.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    613 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I wouldn't extend Dansby, Fried, or Riley right now unless they are willing to give the same discount Acuna/Albies gave. I also wouldn't give Freddie that deal.
    I’m in the same boat. Extending a pitcher seems like a bad idea Riley looks like he could be moved to 1B and Swanson hasn’t been special at SS. Im not interested in paying a 1B in his decline years big money either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    655 Posts
    I would not extend any of them. Just sign Freddie for a chipperesque 3 year deal ideally... but realistically, pay him whatever the hell he wants and get it done.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I read the question as extending all 3 for the Goldschmidt money $135M. I would do that in a heartbeat right now. Riley with his supposed versatility would be the headliner and most money. I suggest once again, look at comparison to Mike Schmidt at same age as AR. Fried I look at as a middle rotation guy going forward. Swanson, this is a perfect time to offer an extension at affordable money with the soon to be glut of premium SSs.
    This was the question.

If you could lock Fried up for 5 years/$50 million, lock Riley up for 6 years/$50 million, and Dansby for 5 years/$40 million TODAY, you then control Acuna, Albies, Riley, Dansby, Contreras, Langeliers, Pache, Waters, Harris, Fried, and Davidson through AT LEAST 2026, and Anderson, Soroka, and Ynoa through 2024. Assuming $8 million/WAR, you're paying Dansby as a 1 WAR player through his age 32 season - he should produce more than that.

If you want to extend the window, this is probably the least expensive way to do it. AA can then fill in the holes with the best players he finds that are willing to take short-term deals.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    This was the question.

If you could lock Fried up for 5 years/$50 million, lock Riley up for 6 years/$50 million, and Dansby for 5 years/$40 million TODAY, you then control Acuna, Albies, Riley, Dansby, Contreras, Langeliers, Pache, Waters, Harris, Fried, and Davidson through AT LEAST 2026, and Anderson, Soroka, and Ynoa through 2024. Assuming $8 million/WAR, you're paying Dansby as a 1 WAR player through his age 32 season - he should produce more than that.

If you want to extend the window, this is probably the least expensive way to do it. AA can then fill in the holes with the best players he finds that are willing to take short-term deals.
    Agree.
    I'm not one to call out posters, but the original question is not following the reality of extensions.

Acuna got a 100 million dollar deal. Riley, Fried and Dansby are not getting more than Acuna.

Goldy's deal was a FA deal for a vet. Extending through Arb and buying a couple of early FA years are not deals paying FA rates unless you are Tatis.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Agree.
    I'm not one to call out posters, but the original question is not following the reality of extensions.

Acuna got a 100 million dollar deal. Riley, Fried and Dansby are not getting more than Acuna.

Goldy's deal was a FA deal for a vet. Extending through Arb and buying a couple of early FA years are not deals paying FA rates unless you are Tatis.
    Fried and Riley would be getting HALF what Acuna got, Dansby would be getting less - read closer.

I have no idea where you are coming from. I never intimated that the Braves would give $130 million to ONE PLAYER. The money would be split between those three to secure a couple of free agent seasons from each that you HOPE turn out to be bargains. It's an attempt to gain budget certainty while you still have Acuna and Albies in their prime.