Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Acuna- what are everyone's thoughts on when

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    If Acuna isn't brought up by next Monday, its because they want him to get at bats from the long layoff from ST.

I doubt that analytically minded Anthopolous gives a whomp about 19 at bats in a league Acuna already dominated once before.

Nothing burger.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    If Acuna isn't brought up by next Monday, its because they want him to get at bats from the long layoff from ST.

I doubt that analytically minded Anthopolous gives a whomp about 19 at bats in a league Acuna already dominated once before.

Nothing burger.
    Well, we do have our answer on Acuna for now. Doesn't look like he's coming up anytime soon.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...45722895863809

It may not really even be the stint. It may be AA wants to make an example of I don't want to rush guys.

Now I'm not sure he's up for a long while. :s
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Well, we do have our answer on Acuna for now. Doesn't look like he's coming up anytime soon.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...45722895863809

It may not really even be the stint. It may be AA wants to make an example of I don't want to rush guys.

Now I'm not sure he's up for a long while. :s
    That's not what that tweet said at all. Said Atlanta will wait on Acuna. Wait can mean 3 days. It can mean a few weeks. I still say next tuesday. Only other date that could make sense is next Thursday. Gwinnett is at home so he will be close but if they want him to he could finish out his series in Gwinnett before coming up to Atlanta.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    We've already been told when Acuna will be up, and where he will play.

This guy is never wrong:

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Acuna will come up the first day eligible after they gain the additional year of control.

Bourjos will be cut and Acuna will play 95% of the games moving forward between RF/CF.
    I mean, sure, I said Acuna will be up later than that, and will be playing LF, but I don't have as high an IQ as tehteh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I mean, sure, I said Acuna will be up later than that, and will be playing LF, but I don't have as high an IQ as tehteh.
    Well Acuna playing LF is a moronic move by Braves management as I'm pretty sure Acuna could start every pitch with his back to home and still be a better defender than Markakis.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Well Acuna playing LF is a moronic move by Braves management as I'm pretty sure Acuna could start every pitch with his back to home and still be a better defender than Markakis.
    The idea is that LF is larger in Suntrust than RF. Covering area is more important than arm.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Acuna should be up today, but I understand why they want him to make his debut at home.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Acuna should be up today, but I understand why they want him to make his debut at home.
    they may not even play today. storms expected this afternoon. weather is gonna suck all weekend.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Womp womp

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The longer Acuna stays in AAA, the more impressive his 30/30 season is going to be.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

4maddux_cy's (04-13-2018), jpx7 (04-14-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    The idea is that LF is larger in Suntrust than RF. Covering area is more important than arm.
    I was gonna respond to this last night, but I was playing overwatch instead.

Size of field is irrelevant. Someone made a similar argument for I believe it was Camden Yards. It has to do with frequency of hits. This year 2102 balls were hit to LF, 2454 balls were hit to RF. Basically a right fielder will have about 15% more balls hit towards his section of the field. Of those balls, 122 were homers to LF and 88 were homers to RF.

Of course this is just one season and there's some variation I'm sure, looking at a larger sample in last season you see 28,898 to LF and 30,993 to RF, year before was 27,290 to LF 34,329 to RF. So some yearly variation exists. I'm sure if I did more research the general trends would continue. Players hit the ball more to RF than left field.

And even at that, the LF dimensions aren't hugely different. It's 335 in LF corner, 375 in Left center 400 dead on 375 right center 325 RF Corner. But it's worth noting while shorter in RF the wall is much taller so I'm guessing there's not much of a power difference. If anything I'd say you're more likely to have a ball play off the wall in RF where range and arm are gonna be in play more often.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (04-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    1. He'll play this weekend in Gwinnett
    2. He won't have to fly to Chicago then fly back to Atlanta a few days later.

That's of course not even factoring in the hoopla of calling him up and what that could do to ticket sales.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I was gonna respond to this last night, but I was playing overwatch instead.

Size of field is irrelevant. Someone made a similar argument for I believe it was Camden Yards. It has to do with frequency of hits. This year 2102 balls were hit to LF, 2454 balls were hit to RF. Basically a right fielder will have about 15% more balls hit towards his section of the field. Of those balls, 122 were homers to LF and 88 were homers to RF.

Of course this is just one season and there's some variation I'm sure, looking at a larger sample in last season you see 28,898 to LF and 30,993 to RF, year before was 27,290 to LF 34,329 to RF. So some yearly variation exists. I'm sure if I did more research the general trends would continue. Players hit the ball more to RF than left field.

And even at that, the LF dimensions aren't hugely different. It's 335 in LF corner, 375 in Left center 400 dead on 375 right center 325 RF Corner. But it's worth noting while shorter in RF the wall is much taller so I'm guessing there's not much of a power difference. If anything I'd say you're more likely to have a ball play off the wall in RF where range and arm are gonna be in play more often.
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. You may very well be right.

Just going by what I've read and the fact I think they let Markakis stay in RF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. You may very well be right.

Just going by what I've read and the fact I think they let Markakis stay in RF.
    Moving a veteran in his last half of season to play a rookie in RF isn’t likely gonna happen. Markakis may well be a better RF than he would be a LF just from familiarity.

There are bigger things to worry about.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I don’t think he’ll be better than tucker at the plate

To be fair I don’t think tucker will be this good either

But it wouldn’t shock me if 26 yo tucker has a better ops than 21 yo acuna

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Hate to say it, but you can argue whatever you want - replacing Tucker with Acuna right now would be one of the most idiotic things AA would have done in his career.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Hate to say it, but you can argue whatever you want - replacing Tucker with Acuna right now would be one of the most idiotic things AA would have done in his career.
    I dunno about that...Acuna is the better player...since when was playing the better player idiotic
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of when enscheff rails on you for the things you say... but when you say **** like this it's impossible not to mock you. Acuna is the #1 prospect in baseball and the best outfielder in the entire organization. Saying that Preston Tucker should keep him in the minors is honestly the stupidest thing I've ever read.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Acuna should determine when Acuna gets here. Not what Tucker, or honestly, even Markakis does. If the scouts are right, it's not even a case of where he needs to "adjust to an adjustment". He's gotten out of good habits with his swing to try to force his way up. As soon as he gets himself back into good habits, you bring him up, even if Tucker is hitting .500.

The Braves have been playing well but a number of things simply aren't sustainable, and that includes Tucker hitting .300 and OPS'ing .900. A lot of potentially sustaining the good start to an extent, is going to have to come on the guys that haven't really played yet for the ML team, including Acuna.
    Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 04-13-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Continue to play tucker 70% of the time. Call up Acuna and let Markakis ride the pine. He can still get 2 starts a week with Acuna subbing Tucker.

Acuna needs to up now. We are a WC team. Need his production immediately.