Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: GDT: 4/13/2018 Cubs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Im not sure i'd call it pixie dust.

But you have Flowers replacing Perez, Acuna replacing Bourjos and having Tucker off the bench, Camargo replacing Flaherty, and Soroka, Gohara coming up to the bigs. Rotation is still my biggest worry.
    Definjtely agree here. If the bullpen can continue its dominance, it would help our starters tremendously

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Effects where we pick. Also braves had a huge run of bad luck to promising pitchers. **** happens but calling wren a disaster is a joke. Coppy was the disaster.
    Didnt Coppy build the farm system we currently have?

Wren deserved plenty of backlash.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Happy to be winning but kind of feels like smoke and mirrors right now. How long can we get winning contributions from Tucker, Flaherty's, Bourjos the other night, Anibal today. Hoping that when the pixie dust runs out from those players, we have the fire power from the minors coming to fill the gaps.
    It probably won't last, but finally they are a team with legit young talent that is legitimately improving. The window may not be open yet, but it has been unlocked.

I am enjoying this team much more than the rosters of decrepit veterans that were sold as competitive rosters the last few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I see this thread became a dumpster fire as well. This is becoming a really unfortunate trend.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

CJC (04-14-2018), Mrs. Meta (04-13-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I thought 75 wins before the season with the possibility for more, hoped it’d come with a boost in production from kids instead of older players.
    There are performances from guys like Flaherty and Tucker to an extent (I think he can hit but he’s not .300 hitter good) that are definite outliers, but there’s a real chance now that a more optimistic outlook becomes true. I don’t know if it’s playoff team good but think somewhere in between the 2015 Red Sox and last year’s Brewers.
    Real chance that we finally have a season where all three of the optimists/realists/pessimists are satisfied.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts

Some of it yes. The two best players are still Wren guys.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Nah - Love Camargo.

But again - The GM in the modern structure of a MLB organization has little to do with anything outside of major league personnel changes.
    You said this: "Yeah, I just don't get how Wren can be criticized for his handling of the farm system. Ownership just needs to open up the purse strings to keep the star players we have and then more complimentary help (sprinkled in with some potential impact players) is on the way real soon."

You are talking about how Wren handled the farm system. Implying that Wren was responsible for building an maintaining a farm system. Implying the exact opposite of what you are saying here. You can be a rainbow and butterfly fan all you want, but you seem to have a habit of reversing your argument immediately as soon as it is convenient. That is brutal to your credibility when arguing about these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    You said this: "Yeah, I just don't get how Wren can be criticized for his handling of the farm system. Ownership just needs to open up the purse strings to keep the star players we have and then more complimentary help (sprinkled in with some potential impact players) is on the way real soon."

You are talking about how Wren handled the farm system. Implying that Wren was responsible for building an maintaining a farm system. Implying the exact opposite of what you are saying here. You can be a rainbow and butterfly fan all you want, but you seem to have a habit of reversing your argument immediately as soon as it is convenient. That is brutal to your credibility when arguing about these things.
    The structure of a professional baseball organization has changed in the last 5-10 years. Prior to that the GM was the top of the organization. That is not what is happening anymore. At that time I was not aware of that change.

Do you deny this change has happened? Does Theo Epstein just sit around and do nothing now?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    The structure of a professional baseball organization has changed in the last 5-10 years. Prior to that the GM was the top of the organization. That is not what is happening anymore. At that time I was not aware of that change.

Do you deny this change has happened? Does Theo Epstein just sit around and do nothing now?
    it has changed with some franchises...but Wren and now AA are calling the shots on baseball matters
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Hart was a disaster and an embarrassment to the organization. We will always have this black mark. I was 110% wrong about him.
    I actually think this is actually the scapegoat.

Hart was always presented as a sounding board and mentor rather than the day to day operations manager.

It was supposed to be Coppy’s show. Always. Blaming Hart for the problems has always seemed odd.

Maybe he had something to do with promoting dansby or something but I don’t blame him for what appears to have been Coppy’s legit dysfunction.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    Sick win, I didn’t see this coming at all
    It's jeopardizing my YNOT already, as I had this pegged as one of the games they'd lose in losing the series.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It's jeopardizing my YNOT already, as I had this pegged as one of the games they'd lose in losing the series.
    Yeah, I probably clinched worst place again. I’m not bringing the veteran steadiness like nsacpi

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I have to say this has to be one of the most entertaining game threads I have seen in a while. The massive amount of punches, counter punches, counter counter punches thrown would put Mike Tyson out in the first round and he has a hard ass head. Thethe or tehteh as Ens calls him has to be Ivan Drago or Sandman from Penitentiary if you old timers rememberd the movie with Leon Isaac Kennedy as the boxer that beat the tar our of some dude that wouldn't go down, because he has been pummeled in here by all sides.

...on that note, I am glad I am not on Enscheff dumbest poster list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Didn't Tucker somehow start off with a 2 or 3 DRS along with Markakis this year? I remember responding to nsacpi about that and speaking of small samples. Well, now they are a combined 0 DRS with Tucker now -1 and Markakis at 1 DRS. This shows how bad Tucker's range is as he started like 2 or 3 DRS and remember we replace him usually around the 6th-7th inning too.

That said, I am glad Tucker is hitting again and hope it continues. I still would like to see Markakis traded before we bring up Acuna if possible. Then we go with Acuna in RF and everything else is the same.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    1. Anyone who says anyone can play 1b needs to watch this game and watch Bryant. He’s not a butcher but it showed me what ppl take for granted with ff at first

2. Swanson and albies look legit good. I’m not seeing a lot of luck. They are hitting it hard. Swanson taking lots of pitches he was out of his shoes on last year

3. Viz needs to stay the closer so we can sell him st the deadline and get better. Weigel plus minter would be nasty

4. I’m keeping comargo and acuna down while Flaherty and tucker are good.

5. This team is winning with neck or Suzuki hitting fourth. That is hilarious

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-13-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    1. Anyone who says anyone can play 1b needs to watch this game and watch Bryant. He’s not a butcher but it showed me what ppl take for granted with ff at first

2. Swanson and albies look legit good. I’m not seeing a lot of luck. They are hitting it hard. Swanson taking lots of pitches he was out of his shoes on last year

3. Viz needs to stay the closer so we can sell him st the deadline and get better. Weigel plus minter would be nasty

4. I’m keeping comargo and acuna down while Flaherty and tucker are good.

5. This team is winning with neck or Suzuki hitting fourth. That is hilarious
    I think Weigel had a great chance to be the Braves first successful starting pitcher before getting injured. He might still fiNd success there.

Folty is the one to me that could close.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,323 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post

...on that note, I am glad I am not on Enscheff dumbest poster list.
    I'm on it and to me it's a badge of honor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think Weigel had a great chance to be the Braves first successful starting pitcher before getting injured. He might still fiNd success there.

Folty is the one to me that could close.
    Love weigel

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts

Yes.

By trading away Wrens extremely valuable assets and having top 5 picks every year

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yes.

By trading away Wrens extremely valuable assets and having top 5 picks every year
    It must be said for Wren that despite never winning a playoff series he made the playoffs almost half the time in his seven years at the helm.

And he did leave four players in the system who eventually are likely to start a major league game.

Sure his last season was a losing one and the prognosis for the future was so bad that a team whose philosophy was never to punt decided on a complete tear down. And maybe he left the Braves with the two worst contracts in baseball. But it wasn’t all bad.