Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In this thread, we decode gilesfan's rules for being a true fan of a sports team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    So your rule is now that you are a better fan if you spend more money on the team?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Gilesfan is just a few tweaks to up the racism from replacing tomahawk74 as board clown.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I think 90% of you guys even root for colleges you didnt attend. Tenn, UNC, louisville, Duke, UGA.
    I didn't go to college so you would be right as far as I'm concerned. I don't think it's a requirement however. My only point was when you talk about fans having a legitimate attachment that would be the one case where you would have a valid point. Cheering for the home team doesn't give you any special attachment, all it does is give you easier access to the games. This might be one of the worst arguments I've ever seen you make.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    So I have a question. I live 250 miles north of the nearest professional teams (Oakland and SF) and about the same from any D1 colleges. Does this mean it is impossible for me to be a "true fan" of any team?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriff3029 View Post
    So I have a question. I live 250 miles north of the nearest professional teams (Oakland and SF) and about the same from any D1 colleges. Does this mean it is impossible for me to be a "true fan" of any team?
    Sounds like it, your best bet is to move so you can be a real fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I need this answered... If Giles fan is such a definition of a fan, was he a bigger fan of Marcus in San Diego (and a fan of the Padres) or the Braves in a post Giles era ?

What say ye fandom?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriff3029 View Post
    No, u can be a fan of either.

And Braves post Giles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    No, u can be a fan of either.

And Braves post Giles.
    So your namesake is a farce. I say change it to UgglaFan or you aren't a true fan at all.

Challenge extended.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    So I grew up rooting for UVA because my dad and my brother went there… I didn't go there. I went to JMU, who has a D1 AA team. I root for JMU to win like hell, but I'm still a fan of UVA bc it's from my childhood. Plus JMU never plays any good teams so it's kind of boring.

Is that allowed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    So I grew up rooting for UVA because my dad and my brother went there… I didn't go there. I went to JMU, who has a D1 AA team. I root for JMU to win like hell, but I'm still a fan of UVA bc it's from my childhood. Plus JMU never plays any good teams so it's kind of boring.

Is that allowed?
    Rumors have been swirling jmu is an option for the sunbelt but they just can't commit to a move up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    BRule roots for Louisville (basketball). He probably doesnt even know where the campus is.
    All of the LULZ......I don't know where Louisville is? Good one, BRUH.

I've already stated why I root for them, If you can't understand that....I don't care. Oh, and I've been to 3 Louisville games, way more if you count games not in Kentucky.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Rumors have been swirling jmu is an option for the sunbelt but they just can't commit to a move up.
    The fans want it. Admin doesnt tho. And they cant even win in the CAA. Lol

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    So gilesfan, what are the rules for this upcoming BCS Championship game?

Can a fan of another SEC team root for a fellow SEC team, or do they have to root against AU because their team would normally be a rival to AU?

Are we allowed to root for FSU just because we'd like to root against AU, and vice versa?
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    My mother sells insurance and her client is Duke University. I have been given apparel since I was 2. I have been to several games, home and away. Am I allowed to be a fan?

I lived in the Bay Area but was unable to go to a game due to the NBA lockout. Am I allowed to root for the Golden State Warriors?

I have no ties to Houston. I didn't have a team that I rooted for in the NFL so I picked them when they were announced as an expansion team. Am I allowed to root for them since I've been a fan of theirs since the franchise was created?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    My mother sells insurance and her client is Duke University. I have been given apparel since I was 2. I have been to several games, home and away. Am I allowed to be a fan?

I lived in the Bay Area but was unable to go to a game due to the NBA lockout. Am I allowed to root for the Golden State Warriors?

I have no ties to Houston. I didn't have a team that I rooted for in the NFL so I picked them when they were announced as an expansion team. Am I allowed to root for them since I've been a fan of theirs since the franchise was created?
    Forever Fredi

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    So gilesfan, what are the rules for this upcoming BCS Championship game?

Can a fan of another SEC team root for a fellow SEC team, or do they have to root against AU because their team would normally be a rival to AU?

Are we allowed to root for FSU just because we'd like to root against AU, and vice versa?
    it would be stupid
    like rooting for the phillies/nats/mets/marlins
    or saints fans rooting for falcons & vice versa

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    You would think it would be stupid. Here in Cola, SC every gamecock fan I know will root for every SEC team as long as they aren't playing the gamecocks. You'd be amazed how many 'we have won so many national championships' I hear. As if Alabama and auburn fans say 'we won the NCAA baseball chsmpionship'

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    So your namesake is a farce. I say change it to UgglaFan or you aren't a true fan at all.

Challenge extended.
    Challenge? That's a life sentence!

Here's my story and I am sticking to it. My primary foci of sports admiration are the Atlanta Braves, Green Bay Packers, and the Minnesota Gophers. Why? I am 60 years old and those three teams were the first teams I cheered for (the Braves were in Milwaukee and on the local radio stations). The Vikings and Twins arrived in Minnesota in 1961, but my loyalties were already solidified. Those loyalties became further hardened as my quisling older brother switched his loyalties to the incoming teams and heated indoor arguments and backyard mayhem commenced regarding the comparative virtues of Hank Aaron as opposed to Harmon Killebrew and Bart Starr in comparison to Fran Tarkenton. We somehow put our differences aside to cheer for the Gophers. I briefly toyed with the idea of switching football allegiances to the Nebraska Cornhuskers during the Devaney/Osborne-led glory years, but I couldn't pull the trigger.

Having been a fan of these franchises through some pretty sorry periods that seemed like eons (in the case of the Minnesota Gophers, it is an eon), I have had my opportunity to bolt, but simply cannot do it. It's just how I'm wired.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    So let me see if I have this straight. I live in NC. I have been watching the Braves since 70's, assuming they were on the Sat game of the week (most my age know that was almost never). Otherwise, I'd use a transistor radio or go sit in the car and try to pick up the nearest feed. When we finally got cable, and TBS carried the Braves, I continued and was thrilled. In the 80's I was able to finally get some games in at Fulton Co Stadium. Never went more than once a year, but about 6 of the 10 years during the 80's. (0's meant I was rasing twins, so trips were few and far between. Went twice during the 90's and took my son in 2000. Until Chipper's retirement ceremoney my wife and I had not been back. Life meant making choices and money was better spent on kids, house, etc. I have had MLB Extra Innings as long as I have had DirectTV (1998), not a cheap cost. I also got XM radio for the feeds as well, but once the Sirus merger, let that go. I do pay for the MLB Audio package each year now.

So because I have liked and rooted for the Braves since 1970, I'm now not a real fan because my numbers of games attended is not up to gilesfan snuff? I guess because I have been a Tampa Bay Bucs fans since their inception in '76 (0-26 to start the franchise and I'm still a fan), but only attended one game (vs. Panthers at Charlotte), I'm not allowed to be considered a real fan of that team as well?

I've seen some stupid, idiotic posts on the many boards this group has endured over the years, but this one has to top them all!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Braves fan, Falcons fan, grew up UGA fan before I went to Georgia Southern, then dusted the dawgs. I don't follow an NBA team except to check the Hawks box score. I believe I conform to the rules of being a Gile's FAN. Oh, and I live (have always lived) in GA.
    Ivermectin Man