Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: West Virginia

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Okie, I am thinking of doing Adjunct work. 28 an hour. How is that type of work? Make a few hundred a month is not a bad thing teaching kids.
    A lot of it will depend on the school and the administration, just like any teaching job I suppose. I really enjoy teaching adjunct though the quality of students I get, just like in all educational venues these days, ain't what it used to be and I'm not talking about IQ, I'm talking about effort level, preparation level, etc. The best thing about teaching college kids (any type of college) is that they are paying to be there so while there are still plenty of numb nuts to deal with you get to actually "teach" a lot of students who really want to learn, which is the main reason we teach anyway, right? If you want to PM me for more discussions on this we can talk more about the specifics.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Maybe, I have to let them know soon. They want me because of my degrees and my experience which exceeds 15 years.

It is the UW system which is one of the best in the country and the one south of me in LaCrosse has one of the best junior colleges in the country, top 3%. We are trying to keep up.

I have to say Wisconsin university system is top notched. I need two semesters to obtain my masters and I am contemplating on doing that so I can teach maybe for good at Eau Claire or Stout. Don't laugh, missed honors by .04 but they want to give it to me and I said no. I did not deserve it and I know why (not make it political, I don't want handouts, I want to EARN everything I've worked for so you can see me like any other person and not because I am black).

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Maybe, I have to let them know soon. They want me because of my degrees and my experience which exceeds 15 years.

It is the UW system which is one of the best in the country and the one south of me in LaCrosse has one of the best junior colleges in the country, top 3%. We are trying to keep up.

I have to say Wisconsin university system is top notched. I need two semesters to obtain my masters and I am contemplating on doing that so I can teach maybe for good at Eau Claire or Stout. Don't laugh, missed honors by .04 but they want to give it to me and I said no. I did not deserve it and I know why (not make it political, I don't want handouts, I want to EARN everything I've worked for so you can see me like any other person and not because I am black).
    Take the opportunity when they give you a chance, then show them what you're made of. That's how I got started teaching college kids. I'm sure you'll do a great job and once you get a taste of teaching people who really want to learn you'll be hooked!

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Take the opportunity when they give you a chance, then show them what you're made of. That's how I got started teaching college kids. I'm sure you'll do a great job and once you get a taste of teaching people who really want to learn you'll be hooked!
    Well, they offered 35 an hour now.

Sheesh, that is pretty darn good. The work is the hold up though because I am on 24 hour call. That is why I haven't done anything. No bennies though, they tell you that up front. I had a Stout position but I did not want to drive 25 miles and in snow 5 months of the year.

If you scour the UW-E board you will see the position posted.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Well, they offered 35 an hour now.

Sheesh, that is pretty darn good. The work is the hold up though because I am on 24 hour call. That is why I haven't done anything. No bennies though, they tell you that up front. I had a Stout position but I did not want to drive 25 miles and in snow 5 months of the year.

If you scour the UW-E board you will see the position posted.
    $35/hour? That's pretty good money! How close is this school to where you live? As for being on call 24/7, how often are you actually called after hours? Or is this job teaching daytime too? If they want you badly enough to raise the pay that much then they'll probably work with you for times when you have to leave for your regular job. You can just arrange your lesson plans (computer programming languages, right?) with a little flexibility so that if you get started and have to leave they will be able to do some independent practice after you go. It's something to think about anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Steven Greenhouse
    ‏ @greenhousenyt
    7m7 minutes ago

The Teacher Strikes Are Spreading--Arizona teachers vote to hold a state-wide strike on April 16.

They're demanding an increase in education funding.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Two GOP lawmakers have introduced a bill that would allow public school districts in the state to seek a court injunction to block teacher strikes, according to the news outlet.

Any teachers who refuse to comply with the injunction would be considered in contempt of court and could face up to six months in jail as well as fines.

School districts would also be required to fire those educators immediately without a hearing, and to ban teachers from being paid “for any day which the public school teacher participates in a strike,” according to the report.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...with-jail-time

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    So the employer doesn't want to pay the employee for not working?

Crazy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    If there aren't ramifications of striking then whats the point?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    So the employer doesn't want to pay the employee for not working?

Crazy
    I don't know, we've been doing it with Congress for quite a while now.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If there aren't ramifications of striking then whats the point?
    Oh there needs to be ramifications for sure, I just wonder if the CO voters have the memory and the balls to actually deliver them. I said the same about OK voters recently as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

A stunning image of just how many teachers are marching to the Arizona State Capitol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    BrahmResnik
    ‏Verified account @brahmresnik
    2h2 hours ago

BREAKING Arizona teachers’ union leader says walkout continues Monday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts

lolololololololol
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.