Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: JUNE 2019 PRE-DRAFT TOP 30 PROSPECTS (NEW NO. 1!)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    New number one prospect (Riley taken off list, duh).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    No love for Vodnik?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-18-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    New number one prospect (Riley taken off list, duh).
    Interesting that you went with Waters over Pache; I think the defensive floor, plus the bigger strides made this season with k-/bb-rate and iso, make Pache my choice between the two. Though Waters has obviously scorched the AA earth this season, he’s still striking out a lot, and he’s babip is astronomical.

Also interesting that you threw Morton on there, but not Harris, Paolini, or Grissom.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    No love for Vodnik?
    That would be an oops. Thought he was on honorable mention. He is now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Interesting that you went with Waters over Pache; I think the defensive floor, plus the bigger strides made this season with k-/bb-rate and iso, make Pache my choice between the two. Though Waters has obviously scorched the AA earth this season, he’s still striking out a lot, and he’s babip is astronomical.

Also interesting that you threw Morton on there, but not Harris, Paolini, or Grissom.
    Re: Morton, the Oklahoma commitment was the edge. Paolini is going on HM. But I am not sure which position Harris is ultimately going to be placed.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Re: Morton, the Oklahoma commitment was the edge. Paolini is going on HM. But I am not sure which position Harris is ultimately going to be placed.
    Harris will start out an the OF. Touki no longer a prospect with career 58.2 IP fwiw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Owens was a Florida commit, and Johnson Mississippi St—both arguably bigger-time programs than Oklahoma. Are you just leaving them off because they’re pitchers, and thus riskier?

At this point it’s hard for me to distinguish between Harris, the raw toolsy OF, and Morton, the raw toolsy OF—except that the former was taken in the third round, and the latter in the nineteenth. That may just reflect how difficult teams felt it’d be to convince each player to turn pro, but I’d think Harris should be ranked if Morton is (and iirc FG had Harris ranked appreciably higher).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Prediction time. This farm system is going to be horrific after our top AA prospects hit the majors. No first round pick last year. Punting the first round this year. Very limited international signings. As a perennial contender now we will probably be losing a few prospects to the trade deadline every year from now on. God help me if the Phillies have a better farm system than us in 2 years. I hated the picks but I am rooting for Langeliers and Shewmake so hard, please atleast come out hot and make me look stupid.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Owens was a Florida commit, and Johnson Mississippi St—both arguably bigger-time programs than Oklahoma. Are you just leaving them off because they’re pitchers, and thus riskier?

At this point it’s hard for me to distinguish between Harris, the raw toolsy OF, and Morton, the raw toolsy OF—except that the former was taken in the third round, and the latter in the nineteenth. That may just reflect how difficult teams felt it’d be to convince each player to turn pro, but I’d think Harris should be ranked if Morton is (and iirc FG had Harris ranked appreciably higher).
    In terms of baseball MSU and Florida are unquestionably more big time programs than Oklahoma, at least in the past 20-30 years. In that time frame, Oklahoma is almost more in line with Southern Miss (my team) than they are the big SEC schools. Which is still pretty good, but I would say a good tier or two below the top SEC or Pac 12 schools.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Prediction time. This farm system is going to be horrific after our top AA prospects hit the majors. No first round pick last year. Punting the first round this year. Very limited international signings. As a perennial contender now we will probably be losing a few prospects to the trade deadline every year from now on. God help me if the Phillies have a better farm system than us in 2 years. I hated the picks but I am rooting for Langeliers and Shewmake so hard, please atleast come out hot and make me look stupid.
    I don't thinks it is going to be that bad. I think we may have a few years where it is mediocre, ranked somewhere between ~15th-20th. But I don't see our farm going down the toilet the same way the Cubs or the Red Sox has. We just don't have the resources to be that aggressive when it comes to shipping out assets. Plus I kinda think this draft was more about preventing our farm system falling apart after the top guys graduate. Say what you want about the first few picks, but we did get a high quantity of high risk/reward high schoolers in the later rounds. At the very least, that should help us sustain some depth over the years.

But we will be able to afford a below average farm system for a few years while we have our current young crop entering their prime. Plus after this year will be able to dip our toes back in to the international market (albeit with half our usual pool resources) and then we can really start hitting that market hard again in 2021.

I'm not too worried about the long term health of our farm and I trust our player development. I trust our new scouting department less, but I'm still in wait and see mode with them, mostly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    lolz. "punting" the 1st round this year. far from it.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    lolz. "punting" the 1st round this year. far from it.
    Yeah punting is a tough word but to his point the first rounders are probably close to the same timeline as our AA guys. So unless some of our HS’r hit we will still be bare.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Yeah punting is a tough word but to his point the first rounders are probably close to the same timeline as our AA guys. So unless some of our HS’r hit we will still be bare.
    Could always trade some of the upper guys for lower guys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Good on you Rico. Putting Waters as our no 1 prospect right now is a tad bold, but I think its no doubt the right move. I'd have definitely done the same. His performance at AA should have him in the top 20 overall I'd think. Andersons streak here of late should also have him looking top 25-30 ish.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Good on you Rico. Putting Waters as our no 1 prospect right now is a tad bold, but I think its no doubt the right move. I'd have definitely done the same. His performance at AA should have him in the top 20 overall I'd think. Andersons streak here of late should also have him looking top 25-30 ish.
    I would have Pache ahead of Waters. Better and more sustainable peripherals. Better defender.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would have Pache ahead of Waters. Better and more sustainable peripherals. Better defender.
    definitely the safer prospect. and while i think Water's ceiling is probably higher offensively, it's not *that* much higher IMO.
    Pache is really having a fantastic season. lowered his k-rate, upped his bb-rate while also way upping his ISO (probably ball-related, but still). BABIP is still high, but maybe he's a guy who will carry a slightly higher one as he always has. looking like a helluva prospect.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Waters, Pache, and Anderson keep this up all year are they all top 25 prospects? I think so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If Waters, Pache, and Anderson keep this up all year are they all top 25 prospects? I think so.
    Anderson would need another month + of production like he's been getting of late I'd think. BUT he has the least amount of distance to get there (He's probably around 40 ?)
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    definitely the safer prospect. and while i think Water's ceiling is probably higher offensively, it's not *that* much higher IMO.
    Pache is really having a fantastic season. lowered his k-rate, upped his bb-rate while also way upping his ISO (probably ball-related, but still). BABIP is still high, but maybe he's a guy who will carry a slightly higher one as he always has. looking like a helluva prospect.
    They haven’t changed the baseballs at AA, though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    They haven’t changed the baseballs at AA, though.
    oh they haven't? all the better then.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2019)