Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I’m not sure why folks expect more pitching help with a rotation of Soroka, Fried, Folty, Hamels, and several young options for the 5th spot already on board.
    I don't know that I expect it, but I'd like to see a super cheap vet brought in to compete with the kids and provide quality depth. Kinda like Anibal from a few years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Rays vs SD in a trade isn’t a fair fight.
    Pigs get slaughtered.

Pick up the phone AA!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Bowman wrote that Kris Bryant would cost Folty, Anderson, plus one of Waters or Pache. Not sure if that’s based on what he’s hearing or what he actually believes though.
    Bowman is an idiot if that's what he believes. The Cubs are idiots if that's what they expect. Folty has roughly 20-30 million in surplus value. That's already roughly half of Bryant's value. I could see Folty and Waters or Anderson being a fair trade in theory, but not Anderson, Waters, and Folty. Folty and Pache and is a pretty substantial overpay as well. Pache has almost as much surplus value himself as Bryant has.

But this theory ignores the fact that it creates another hole in the rotation, and while I'm super ok with trading Folty in general, it's just unlikely to happen unless it's in a trade for another pitcher.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-06-2019 at 08:18 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    One year of Betts is probably a surplus value of $40M-$50M. That’s a 55 prospect plus filler, which would be Waters or Anderson plus stuff.

That’s also an opening day payroll around $155M.
    With Camargo or Riley at 3B.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    With Camargo or Riley at 3B.
    which is completely fine if you add a guy like Betts, Lindor, etc.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Still afraid a lot of folks are being a little too dismissive of Riley - they're not just going to give him away, and I don't think they've even resigned themselves to the belief that he's part of a platoon somewhere at best. Every situation and player is different, but it seems like most people around here have awfully short memories and have just decided he's not capable of making adjustments. There were plenty of folks (myself included) that were hesitant about wanting to trade for Javier Baez not too long ago.

2018 Riley - 297 ABs, .226/.279/.471/.750, 36.4 K%

2014 Baez - 213 ABs, .169/.227/.324/.551, 41.5 K%

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2016...z-chicago-cubs
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Still afraid a lot of folks are being a little too dismissive of Riley - they're not just going to give him away, and I don't think they've even resigned themselves to the belief that he's part of a platoon somewhere at best. Every situation and player is different, but it seems like most people around here have awfully short memories and have just decided he's not capable of making adjustments. There were plenty of folks (myself included) that were hesitant about wanting to trade for Javier Baez not too long ago.

I don't think most people have completely given up on AR but most people (me included) don't think he is ready for a full time role at 3rd. Yes is is still very young and can improve. The improvement needs to come at AAA not in the majors as a platoon player.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JxnMissFan For This Useful Post:

Snowman (12-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    I don't think most people have completely given up on AR but most people (me included) don't think he is ready for a full time role at 3rd. Yes is is still very young and can improve. The improvement needs to come at AAA not in the majors as a platoon player.
    At some point you just have to find out if he can recognize a breaking ball. I dont think we will learn that at AAA.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Really. I thought most AAA pitchers were there to learn/improve on their secondary pitches. Look at Riley's minor league history and his constant ability to adjust and improve.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Agree.
    I think he would be best on a team like the marlins or orioles where he can get through his growing pains

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Man, the more I look back at that Melancon trade the more it makes me sick. He'll probably be a perfectly good reliever for us next year, but I feel like any possible production he could provide is easily replaceable for less than 15.5 million dollars. If I had the choice between Melancon or having back Tristan Beck and all that money, I'd take the latter every time. I think we could sign a guy like Will Harris for far less money and still be in the same spot, except with a payroll of 130 million instead of 138 or whatever its at right now. Even without a replacement for him I think our bullpen would be fine, and we'd have an extra 15 million to address 3rd base and the outfield.

If I were AA, I would be scouring the trade market for teams willing to take on that deal.

Edit: Just to reiterate, Melancon is a good reliever. But 15 million dollars is an absolute truck load for a reliever. If you're paying that amount with our payroll, that guy better be a slam dunk.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Heyman is reporting the Pirates might be looking for a top catching prospect in a Marte deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Heyman is reporting the Pirates might be looking for a top catching prospect in a Marte deal.
    Let's position Ajax as a top catching prospect! LOL Would you guys trade Contreras for him?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Man, the more I look back at that Melancon trade the more it makes me sick. He'll probably be a perfectly good reliever for us next year, but I feel like any possible production he could provide is easily replaceable for less than 15.5 million dollars. If I had the choice between Melancon or having back Tristan Beck and all that money, I'd take the latter every time. I think we could sign a guy like Will Harris for far less money and still be in the same spot, except with a payroll of 130 million instead of 138 or whatever its at right now. Even without a replacement for him I think our bullpen would be fine, and we'd have an extra 15 million to address 3rd base and the outfield.

If I were AA, I would be scouring the trade market for teams willing to take on that deal.

Edit: Just to reiterate, Melancon is a good reliever. But 15 million dollars is an absolute truck load for a reliever. If you're paying that amount with our payroll, that guy better be a slam dunk.

Beginning with the trade deadline, Anthopolous started putting real chips in the middle. That's the thing that people were upset that he hadn't done in the offseason.

I think the choices have been a little curious, but I don't regret the net effect of his rebuild of the bullpen last season that helped secure the division and gave the Braves the opportunity to truly contend (which I think they did do).

I'll wait and see what net result of this offseason looks like before starting to get upset about individual decisions.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts

No one is giving up on Riley, but if you truly are going to make that next step to a no doubt WS contender team, you can't be hoping an option works out at a position of need. You need as much of a sure thing as possible. That's why if we got someone like Lindor or Betts (I really hope not on Betts... gonna be an overpay for an expensive guy for one year who you prob aren't going to re-sign)... I think Camargo is your answer with Riley staying in AAA.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-06-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Pirates are thought to be looking for a high-end C prospect this winter (whether in a Marte deal or another trade), so here's my Harry trade(s) of the day...

Langeliers and Wilson for Marte. Extend Marte (2/$30 million maybe?) to play LF through 2023.

Waters, Riley, and Touki to KC for Dozier and Merrifield. Acuna plays CF with Merrifield in RF until Pache is ready NEXT season, then Merrifield becomes your super-sub.

Ender and Wright to Cleveland for Kluber. Newk stays in the pen.

Merrifield, Marte, Freddie, Acuna, Ozzie, Dozier, d'Arnaud, Dansby

Flowers, Markakis, Duvall, Camargo, Hechavarria/Iglesias

Kluber, Hamels, Soroka, Fried, Folty

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Let's position Ajax as a top catching prospect! LOL Would you guys trade Contreras for him?
    Say what you want about AJax but he quietly became a very good defensive catcher last year and his power speaks for himself. He has more potential than people are giving him credit.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Carp (12-06-2019), jpx7 (12-06-2019), UNCBlue012 (12-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Pirates are thought to be looking for a high-end C prospect this winter (whether in a Marte deal or another trade), so here's my Harry trade(s) of the day...

Langeliers and Wilson for Marte. Extend Marte (2/$30 million maybe?) to play LF through 2023.

Waters, Riley, and Touki to KC for Dozier and Merrifield. Acuna plays CF with Merrifield in RF until Pache is ready NEXT season, then Merrifield becomes your super-sub.

If I'm trading a C prospect, it would be Contreras... I think Langeliers is going to be very good. I think he's our future C no doubt about it. I'm very interested in Marte, but the PED past does make me a little nervous.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (12-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts

Also I think your value for Marte is about right, but those packages won't even come close to bringing back Merrifield, Dozier, and Kluber... nowhere close.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Baez plays average or better SS, so the offensive bar is lower.

Baez was almost 2 years younger when he posted those numbers.

Baez made more contact on pitches in the strike zone.

Baez and Riley aren't very similar at all. Here is the guy Riley is most similar to:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...72&position=OF

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (12-06-2019), jpx7 (12-06-2019), Super (12-06-2019)