Forever Fredi

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    I could live with that deal.

The deal would Cubs enough MLB ready talent to keep their contention window open.

The good thing is the Phillies don't have the talent available to trade to match that package.

Maybe the Cubbies have been reading CLV's dissertations and believe with more AB's Riley can hit breaking pitches.
    This would be a nice upgrade offensively, but what would our OF look like? Acuña, Markakis and Duvall? Yikes. Pache and Waters aren’t ready yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Even the guys at MLB network say they wouldn’t do 4 years for JD at 34 years old. I love JD but I think we should move on. That contract could get ugly real quick.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    This would be a nice upgrade offensively, but what would our OF look like? Acuña, Markakis and Duvall? Yikes. Pache and Waters aren’t ready yet.
    We’d have to get Almora or Happ back in the deal also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    We’d have to get Almora or Happ back in the deal also.
    Almora sucks... no thanks. Happ maybe...

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Maybe stay internal for 3rd and try to get an outfielder. Seems like the outfield market is quiet and much more ripe for the plucking. 3rd bass and starters are on fire and I don’t want JD on a four year deal. I think year three will be bad enough on that deal.
    Coppy

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Riley Ender and pitcher for Bryant doesn't do enough payroll reduction. Has to bigger deal if true.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    If all of Ender's salary went to the Cubs then the net increase to add Bryant would only be in the 12 million range. The Braves would have a a little money to upgrade the Neck/Duvall tandem. All you need in the outfield is a place holder until Pache is ready. Pache is already a better defender than Ender. How long will he need to stay in AAA to be a better hitter. My guess is maybe half a season.

Full disclosure: I'm probably the biggest Pache fan here. I expect him to be an all star.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Riley Ender and pitcher for Bryant doesn't do enough payroll reduction. Has to bigger deal if true.
    If we can trade for Bryant and extend him 2-3 years I think that's the preferred route. He's only 27 and when his current contract is up he'll be sitting in his prime so a 2-3 year extension wouldn't be awful. I wonder if Riley + could get it done?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Saves them 11-12 million while netting them 2 extra players for their 25 man.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    If we can trade for Bryant and extend him 2-3 years I think that's the preferred route. He's only 27 and when his current contract is up he'll be sitting in his prime so a 2-3 year extension wouldn't be awful. I wonder if Riley + could get it done?
    Bryant is not signing an extension. With the grievance he is filing it's clear he's trying to get to FA as quick as possible. You'll see why once Rendon signs.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    If Cleveland were willing to trade Lindor, the guy we really should be asking about and trying for is Ramirez. Who would it cost for him in a trade. He solves everything at 3rd for years to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Yeah Bryant would be here for the 2 years and then bounce. I’d be perfectly fine with that scenario. The more I think about it the more I like it. We’d be saving money on the contract vs JD and have a lot less risk and if a deal for a 3b (like Chapman) came up next offseason or at the trade deadline then Bryant could shift to a COF spot.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Depending on the pitcher, Riley plus Ender plus an arm is going to be a rough pill to swallow when it opens another hole in an already bad OF.

Assuming Bryant is currently at his peak as a 5 WAR player, his surplus value is roughly $30M if he has 1 year of control, and $50M if he has 2 years of control. That must be clarified before any trade can go down.

If we count Riley as a 50+, that's ~$30M in value alone. If a team doesn't view him as a centerpiece for a player like Bryant, the Braves should not trade him away. From the Cubs perspective (as an ignorant non-Cubs fan), he seems to be the most logical target to step right in to replace Bryant and be marketed as the guy who just needs to learn how to recognize spin.

Anderson as a 55 is worth ~$35M, and if the spin rate issues are truly a problem, then cashing him in for a player like Bryant may be the best use of his value. There is no way he should be packaged with Riley for Bryant.

Pache is obviously a non-starter, but Waters carries a value around $50M, and would be a near 1 for 1 fit for 2 years of Bryant. Unfortunately, Waters doesn't solve a current need for the Cubs in a season they hope to contend.

Selling low on Ender is a bad idea as the roster is currently constructed. Even if the Cubs value him as a 2-3 win CF under reasonably priced team control, the Braves need exactly that type of player in 2020. The flashes Ender showed while healthy in 2019 suggest he is still exactly that. It's hard to see Ender for Bryant working for the Braves without other moves going down to back fill that hole in the OF.

A FV 50 pitcher carries ~$20M in surplus value. That's someone like Wright or Wilson from the Braves system. I'm a huge Wright homer, so I would hate to see him and his spin rates cashed out so early...but the clock is ticking with him. I'd much prefer Wilson be spun off.

Riley ($30M) plus Wilson ($20M) for 2 years of Bryant ($50M) seems like a realistic framework of a package. It gives the Cubs massive payroll relief and a 3B and SP that can step in nearly immediately.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-09-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The 80 million or whatever it is will be spread out over a later date. So if 80 million is deferred then his 7 year deal is worth 165 million or 23.5 per year. He then will get paid the rest of his money likely after he is retired at some point.

The benefits are to the team. They pay less per year now so they can keep payroll down and they will pay the 80 million in the future when it's worth less than it is now due to inflation.

The only benefit I can see to the player is if they can negotiate more in total than they would get without any deferrals. And with Stras' history that's likely what happened here.
    Thanks. So does it count against future payroll of that future year? Or is it something the organization can just pay from other funds?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Depending on the pitcher, Riley plus Ender plus an arm is going to be a rough pill to swallow when it opens another hole in an already bad OF.

Assuming Bryant is currently at his peak as a 5 WAR player, his surplus value is roughly $30M if he has 1 year of control, and $50M if he has 2 years of control. That must be clarified before any trade can go down.

If we count Riley as a 50+, that's ~$30M in value alone. If a team doesn't view him as a centerpiece for a player like Bryant, the Braves should not trade him away. From the Cubs perspective (as an ignorant non-Cubs fan), he seems to be the most logical target to step right in to replace Bryant and be marketed as the guy who just needs to learn how to recognize spin.

Anderson as a 55 is worth ~$35M, and if the spin rate issues are truly a problem, then cashing him in for a player like Bryant may be the best use of his value. There is no way he should be packaged with Riley for Bryant.

Pache is obviously a non-starter, but Waters carries a value around $50M, and would be a 1 for 1 for 2 years of Bryant. Unfortunately, Waters doesn't solve a current need for the Cubs in a season they hope to contend.

Selling low on Ender is a bad idea as the roster is currently constructed. Even if the Cubs value him as a 2-3 win CF under reasonably priced team control, the Braves need exactly that type of player in 2020. The flashes Ender showed while healthy in 2019 suggest he is still exactly that. It's hard to see Ender for Bryant working for the Braves without other moves going down to back fill that hole in the OF.

A FV 50 pitcher carries ~$20M in surplus value. That's someone like Wright or Wilson from the Braves system. I'm a huge Wright homer, so I would hate to see him and his spin rates cashed out so early...but the clock is ticking with him. I'd much prefer Wilson be spun off.

Riley ($30M) plus Wilson ($20M) for 2 years of Bryant ($50M) seems like a realistic framework of a package. It gives the Cubs massive payroll relief and a 3B and SP that can step in nearly immediately.
    Im kinda wondering if there aren't more players involved from both teams.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Prediction: Nats resign Rendon, too

They're going for a dynasty

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Ha. I read that as ender and a pitcher. I thought micheal Riley was the one tweeting.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Prediction: Nats resign Rendon, too

They're going for a dynasty
    Considering they already said they weren't going to, I would say you're wrong

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Considering they already said they weren't going to, I would say you're wrong
    That's old info. Read the GM's latest comments.