Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A case for keeping Markakis and adding Puig

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    What damage do you expect him to do? Our our prospects like china glass dolls? If they can handle AJP, they can handle Puig.
    I'm not sure what you're meaning. I'm referencing having a good work ethic and realizing you're part of a 25 man roster and everything is not about you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Being that the FO just got rid of a Cuban player with issues I don't see them taking a chance on another. Not this soon anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-04-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Being that the FO just got rid of a Cuban player with issues I don't see them taking a chance on another. Not this soon anyway.
    What does it matter what nationality they are? Are the Braves going to forego the Cuban market?

HO is gone primarily because he sucks. The arrest just gave them more of an incentive to get rid of him.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    What does it matter what nationality they are? Are the Braves going to forego the Cuban market?

HO is gone primarily because he sucks. The arrest just gave them more of an incentive to get rid of him.
    He would still be in the organization even if he was hitting .230. The arrest did him in.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-04-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts

They aren't racist. But being that both are having problems and are similar as far as having problems and just happen that both are Cuban. Cuban players seem to be more immature than others.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    He would still be in the organization even if he was hitting .230. The arrest did him in.
    Yup. Who knows how he would have actually performed if for none of the off the field issues. But he would be here regardless getting his AB's. He was shipped out because of that. I doubt they would bring in someone else like that. We aren't the Cowboys.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-04-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yup. Who knows how he would have actually performed if for none of the off the field issues. But he would be here regardless getting his AB's. He was shipped out because of that. I doubt they would bring in someone else like that. We aren't the Cowboys.
    I cannot trust that when the teams signs AJ. Even Matt Kemp (maybe just in the past) wasn't perceived as the best teammate.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Discussions with you would be much more productive without the insults and condescending crap.
    You mean there would be "discussions" if those weren't there?

Wow!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You mean there would be "discussions" if those weren't there?

Wow!
    One would hope !!!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Sorry, seemed to me you were pointing out a negative of Puig's as a reason not to "buy low" on him. I suggested those very negatives are what make "buying low" an option. You don't "buy low" on perfect ballplayers, that's what the "low" in "buy low" indicates.
    I was doing both. Pointing out to those saying he isn't good anymore that he in fact has been playing well since he returned from the DL. But it's also important to note that LA is basically giving up on him, despite the fact that he's been playing better. He is apparently so big of a distraction that they'd rather send him to the minors than have his hot bat in their lineup (or even on the bench). I understand buying low, but that sort of attitude is not something you want around a team full of young players. I just don't think it's asc cut and dry of a decision as you make it out to be.

If I had to choose right now, I'd say trade for him and use the rest of the 2016 as an assessment. If you don't like what you see, then just release him.
    Last edited by Carp; 08-04-2016 at 03:27 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    No, the point was that he has hit the ball harder than his results have shown. Therefore, it would stand to reason he might have better results in the second half, and thus higher WAR than he posted in the first half.

Your confusion is understandable though. That conclusion required reading comprehension plus a small logical step you would have had to make all by yourself. Both of those things obviously didn't happen.

A Puig acquisition is all about taking the chance he will rebound to a 4-5 WAR OFer. That's why it's called "buying low". The cost to acquire him would have to be small, again, that's why it's called "buying low". The Braves have to take chances like that because it is likely the only way they will be able to add a 4-5 WAR player without gutting the farm or waiting for Maitan.
    Sing it, oh all-knowing muse. Blow our minds with this vast knowledge that you alone possess - that is, that you beat the rest of the board to FanGraphs to find.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people are so much smarter when they say "Markakis has hit the ball harder than his results have shown" today when a lot of scoutheads have said for several months that he's benefiting from a full offseason of workouts and is getting back to the player he's been later in his career. Just a hunch, but if we searched back through threads to find those posts my guess is that you were one of the first people shouting those thoughts down - and ridiculing those who'd even mention it.

Like it or not, several of us were quite aware he's been hitting the ball with more authority - and came to that realization from watching his ABs with (GASP!!!) our eyes.

I'm still not quite there with this "buying low" theory since I'm on advisory boards (on both state and federal levels) concerning real estate and investments. Would you go into more detail since us underlings stand to benefit from your insight? Maybe a little more about how your opinion trumps all.

Actually, wait a sec - Donald, is that really you???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-04-2016), GovClintonTyree (08-04-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I'm going to ban everyone. So I can read discussions without insults.
    Welcome to the board Shanks!!!

(Sorry, someone had to!!!)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (08-04-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Sing it, oh all-knowing muse. Blow our minds with this vast knowledge that you alone possess - that is, that you beat the rest of the board to FanGraphs to find.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people are so much smarter when they say "Markakis has hit the ball harder than his results have shown" today when a lot of scoutheads have said for several months that he's benefiting from a full offseason of workouts and is getting back to the player he's been later in his career. Just a hunch, but if we searched back through threads to find those posts my guess is that you were one of the first people shouting those thoughts down - and ridiculing those who'd even mention it.

Like it or not, several of us were quite aware he's been hitting the ball with more authority - and came to that realization from watching his ABs with (GASP!!!) our eyes.

I'm still not quite there with this "buying low" theory since I'm on advisory boards (on both state and federal levels) concerning real estate and investments. Would you go into more detail since us underlings stand to benefit from your insight? Maybe a little more about how your opinion trumps all.

Actually, wait a sec - Donald, is that really you???
    Actually I have been defending Markakis more than almost anyone on these boards. You will not be able to find a single post where I said he needs to be dumped at any cost like most of the mouth breather around here are blabbering about. I understand his OBP skills are still moderately valuable. My criticism has been centered around his power never coming back, which isn't the same as saying him hitting the ball harder will increase his wOBA (it will in part though).

Sorry for questioning such a gifted thinker though. We all know how many brainiacs populate the real estate industry and government bodies! All the super smart people I met in college went on to become engineers, lawyers, doctors, scientists, and realtors.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    I cannot trust that when the teams signs AJ. Even Matt Kemp (maybe just in the past) wasn't perceived as the best teammate.
    AJ doesn't have the stench of DV on him. HO does and Puig had his episode despite the non charge. It's very easy to see why we wouldn't want to take that risk

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    Sorry for questioning such a gifted thinker though. We all know how many brainiacs populate the real estate industry and government bodies! All the super smart people I met in college went on to become engineers, lawyers, doctors, scientists, and realtors.
    Your posts are so weird.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Your posts are so weird.
    Clv told us he was a realtor as a way to prove how smart he is. I attempted to use sarcasm to poke fun at the fact realtors are about as smart as mattress salesmen. I guess it didn't come across right haha.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Your posts are so weird.
    I think you meant to say "Your posts make no sense."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Clv told us he was a realtor as a way to prove how smart he is. I attempted to use sarcasm to poke fun at the fact realtors are about as smart as mattress salesmen. I guess it didn't come across right haha.
    That's okay as long as we remember that you played D1 Baseball, are very athletic and incredibly good looking (I jest of course).

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts
    Take it for what its worth.....

"If the Los Angeles Dodgers place Yasiel Puig on waivers this month, he might not make it very far before being claimed.

Rumor CentralESPN's Jim Bowden reportsthat the Atlanta Braves, who would currently have first dibs on Puig, could be a destination for the embattled outfielder. According to a source, if the Braves still have the worst record in baseball, they could make a waiver claim on Puig, should the Dodgers place him on waivers. From that point, the Braves might try to trade a mid-level pitching prospect for Puig, Bowden writes."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    Take it for what its worth.....

"If the Los Angeles Dodgers place Yasiel Puig on waivers this month, he might not make it very far before being claimed.

Rumor CentralESPN's Jim Bowden reportsthat the Atlanta Braves, who would currently have first dibs on Puig, could be a destination for the embattled outfielder. According to a source, if the Braves still have the worst record in baseball, they could make a waiver claim on Puig, should the Dodgers place him on waivers. From that point, the Braves might try to trade a mid-level pitching prospect for Puig, Bowden writes."
    Seems like Bowden speculation, but if the Braves do claim him, I have no clue what we do the rest of the season in the OF

Ender - CF (that's set in stone)
    Kemp - LF (gotta think that's set)
    Puig / Markakis - platoon?