Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess the penalty

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I think an international ban for 1 year, plus extending our "penalty window" to an extra year or two after the ban. Losing 2017 J2 class. We don't lose any of our 2016 class or any from our previous draft classes. 3 million dollar fine. I could also see us getting banned from certain latin american countries for an extended period of time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    We lose several signings from the current 2017 group, a second or third round pick. Plus restrictions/slot reductions for the next two signing periods.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I think the Braves will get the penalty they would taken for exceeding the domestic draft bonus pool. So monetary fine of some amount plus first and possibly the second round pick.

I think there will be big restrictions in international market for probably an additional two years.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 11-14-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think the Braves will get the penalty they would taken for exceeding the draft bonus pool. So monetary fine of some amount plus first and possibly the second round pick.

I think there will be big restrictions in international market for probably an additional two years.
    I'm guessing they will reduce the overall signing pool amounts for both the draft and the international market. A hefty fine in addition to that. We didn't sign anyone of note this past July, so I don't know if vacating those signings would put much of a dent in the Braves' future (and MLB probably realizes that). MLB may try to use this episode as an opportunity to install an international draft as well, which would be a good thing.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm guessing they will reduce the overall signing pool amounts for both the draft and the international market. A hefty fine in addition to that. We didn't sign anyone of note this past July, so I don't know if vacating those signings would put much of a dent in the Braves' future (and MLB probably realizes that). MLB may try to use this episode as an opportunity to install an international draft as well, which would be a good thing.
    I said it a week or so ago but: loss of 2017 J2, loss of 2018 1st Rd (#8), fined $5M

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Ever since Coppy resigned I have been wondering if we would have made some big signings if MLB hadn't been snooping around. My guess is that they got a whiff of what was going on and put a stop to it.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I would guess the penalty will be lower than what the Cardinals got for what they did to the Astros. They got a 2 million fine and forfeited picks 56 and 75 to the Astros. So my official guess is 500k fine, loss of a second or third round draft pick and some executives suspended for various amounts of time with Coppy getting a full year.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    I hate when people say we didn’t sign anyone of value just because we signed players for the minimum. Look at both Albies and Acuña. Both were signed for the minimum and would be considered players not worth anything based on the above logic. Imagine losing them now. Just because Maitan was signed for mega bucks doesn’t guarantee he’ll turn into anything at the mlb level.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

blueagleace1 (11-14-2017), cajunrevenge (11-14-2017), jpx7 (11-14-2017), Tapate50 (11-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Ever since Coppy resigned I have been wondering if we would have made some big signings if MLB hadn't been snooping around. My guess is that they got a whiff of what was going on and put a stop to it.
    No one that was hyped was going to be signing within the Braves means.

They may well have signed players who end up being good though.

It seems a good number of them were probably just favors though.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Kinda need to find out exactly what the infractions are - since no one seems to know, it's pretty tough to guess what the penalties will be.

Really strange for this day and age, but MLB's done a pretty good job of keeping the details fairly quiet for once.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    I think it will be a big fine and loss of future picks. I don't think they will take away players that are already signed.
    Taking away players that are already signed is pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Lose Cruz and Gutierrez as they were tied to the same agent as Dian Toscano. Fined a few million and maybe lose a 2nd Round draft pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Lose Cruz and Gutierrez as they were tied to the same agent as Dian Toscano. Fined a few million and maybe lose a 2nd Round draft pick.
    Now there’s a shady situation , not sure that guy exists
    Ivermectin Man

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    The shadiness of the international signing business is exactly why their either needs to be an integrated draft or an international draft. I am tired of all the shenanigans honestly.

Spring Training Invitee Chipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Taking away players that are already signed is pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point.
    I won't argue that it's unlikely to happen, but I'm hoping it doesn't.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    If we lose players I will **** myself. I’m hoping it will just be future international signing penalties and a lump sum of cash.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Now there’s a shady situation , not sure that guy exists
    What's interesting about Toscano is we traded him to the Dodgers with Bud Norris, so he was on their payroll. I wonder if anything came up due to that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    If I were a player about to be signed then, I would be trying my best to get a crooked deal in place. Once signed, I would leak info in order to become a FA again
    Swanson sucks

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If I were a player about to be signed then, I would be trying my best to get a crooked deal in place. Once signed, I would leak info in order to become a FA again
    MLB is definitely in danger of sliding down a slippery slope here exactly because of that.

The Red Sox lost players in this same scenario, and that type of thing hasn’t happened as a result. Or maybe it has...to the Braves right now.

MLB needs to fix this system once and for all.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    MLB is definitely in danger of sliding down a slippery slope here exactly because of that.

The Red Sox lost players in this same scenario, and that type of thing hasn’t happened as a result. Or maybe it has...to the Braves right now.

MLB needs to fix this system once and for all.
    I would guarantee that every team could get hit with a penalty for international signings. Every year over half the top 30 guys have these handshake deals in place and immediately sign the morning of J2 opening. Any player who thinks they could bang out a few more bucks by turning on their team could do so.
    Coppy