Page 17 of 100 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades/acquisitions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Phillies might. Mets are 7 games over .500. Atlanta is the team that sucks.
    They all suck.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    They all suck.
    Which is why AA's job sucks right now. One big move could win the division, but our top prospects all went cold and lost massive amounts of value at the wrong time. He's now going to have to pair multiple guys together to make something happen. Given the Braves' luck lately, whoever he trades will turn into a 3-win player for 4-5 years and the other one will be a solid piece for the same time period.

Tough to blame him if he decides to stand pat.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Braves should get a middle reliever and Duvall. Don't spend much. Maybe those keep us afloat till ynoa, Anderson, and TDA come back. Hope they come back hot

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Castellanos announced that he has a microfracture in his right wrist. Will take several days off to evaluate where he is, but says that he cannot currently swing a bat.
    Get off my lawn!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Fangraphs did a story putting together mock trades. No Braves trades but this caught my eye.

“The Houston Astros acquire P Max Scherzer from the Washington Nationals for SS Jeremy Peña, C Korey Lee, and SS Freudis Nova”

Obviously Scherzer>Morton, but both are in the last year of their contract and don’t seem to be separated by a crazy amount of production. I wonder if Houston would give up Pena straight up for Morton. They already know Morton well, and Pena could be our Dansby replacement in the next year or two.
    Last edited by CJ9; 07-22-2021 at 09:15 AM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Fangraphs did a story putting together mock trades. No Braves trades but this caught my eye.

“The Houston Astros acquire P Max Scherzer from the Washington Nationals for SS Jeremy Peña, C Korey Lee, and SS Freudis Nova”

Obviously Scherzer>Morton, but both are in the last year of their contract and don’t seem to be separated by a crazy amount of production. I wonder if Houston would give up Pena straight up for Morton. They already know Morton well, and Pena could be our Dansby replacement in the next year or two.
    If the Braves can get ANYTHING of value for Morton, they should sell, so I would take Pena or even the fake Dodger package we saw the other day. We know the front office is doing their due diligence of this.

I’ve come to grips that Freddie won’t be traded, but anyone else with an expiring contract (plus Will Smith) should be on the market. I’d try to trade Dansby this winter, too.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

I can't believe the Astros would go that far for a rental.

When I did a search on Pena, I found out he was the Braves' 39th round pick in 2015 out of a Providence, R.I., HS.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (07-22-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Yermin Mercedes has retired

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yermin Mercedes has retired
    Old Tony L sure does know how to relate to today’s players.
    What a guy!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzworm For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-22-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    What a guy!
    Tied for best winning % in AL. Seems to be doing well

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Talent is there and he is a good manager. He's still an A-hole. Think he'd come to Atlanta? Lol

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I can't believe the Astros would go that far for a rental.

When I did a search on Pena, I found out he was the Braves' 39th round pick in 2015 out of a Providence, R.I., HS.
    Maybe, maybe not. There's a legitimate argument to be made that this is their last shot with this group and that their window closes if they're unable to bring Correa back. If they're really active here and get ALL the pieces they need, a couple of those pieces could potentially be re-signed for much less than Correa and they could juggle things this winter to keep their window open beyond this season. A lot of moves to make, but follow along for *hits and giggles...

1.) Trading for Morton rather than Scherzer saves them Lee and Nova to be used in other deals and they still get a front-line SP to pair with Greinke, McCullers, and company.
    2.) They could then pivot and offer Lee and Nova to Miami for Marte. Lee would be right up their alley since he's getting close and the Marlins have absolutely no catching help on the way. You then give Marte the extension he's looking for and save loads of money that you would have had to spend to bring Correa back.
    3.) With Marte on board you've fixed CF for the next 3-4 years, so you can turn around and offer Pedro Leon to the Cubs for Kimbrel, Leon "fixes" CF for the Cubs in 2022, and would allow them to move Brennen Davis to a corner. Kimbrel gives them the shutdown pen you want to try to make a deep run, AND they'd have both he and Pressly under control to make another run next season.

Signing Marte to the extension he wants would take a lot of the sting of losing Correa away and would save them a ton of money. They could then decide if they wanted to shift Bregman to SS and spend a little money on a short-term guy at 3B (Seager if Seatle doesn't pick up his option or Escobar) or leave him at 3B and sign a short-term SS (Simmons, Dansby if AA lets him walk this winter, or Miguel Rojas if Miami sticks to their cheap ways and doesn't pick up his option). If they gave Marte $50 million they'd probably save $90-$100 million or more to spend in other places over what it would cost them to re-sign Correa.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-22-2021 at 11:33 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    What a guy!
    TLR is a scumbag, but he has nothing to do with this.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Never know. An attitude of “stick it to the old white guy in charge” may be helping that group of young guys in Chicago win games.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    What's the Braves record over the past 3 years or so? Snit must be the best manager in baseball (or at least top 3).

Sometimes the talent is good enough to win despite you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I don't care about TLR since he was often on the other side of my team losing but the White Sox lost Jimenez/Robert and Giolito hasn't taken a big step yet they are still doing very well.

I think TLR deserves some credit for that.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    What's the Braves record over the past 3 years or so? Snit must be the best manager in baseball (or at least top 3).

Sometimes the talent is good enough to win despite you.
    6 WS (won 3)
    6 CS losses
    Career .537 winning %

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't care about TLR since he was often on the other side of my team losing but the White Sox lost Jimenez/Robert and Giolito hasn't taken a big step yet they are still doing very well.

I think TLR deserves some credit for that.
    It's strange to say a guy isn't good just bc you don't like em.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    6 WS (won 3)
    6 CS losses
    Career .537 winning %
    Who cares? Fk that guy. And TLR too. Is that the people response or no? Lol

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    FG just put out some trade packages. While none of them directly involve the Braves, some provide good starting points for trades the Braves may end up making. Since they are from FG, they should be at least reasonably accurate from a value standpoint.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-mak...-2021-edition/

Story to Oakland for:
    Buelvas FV 45
    Millas FV 40+
    Deichman FV 40+

This is informative for any Swanson trades, and also for any impact rental bat trades. If Oakland needs a SS, Swanson is a decent option for them. A return including 45 would be about what the ceiling for we can expect. This type of package also represents the absolute floor for a Freeman trade, and shouldn't be good enough to get him.

Rizzo to Boston for:
    Song FV 45
    Murphy FV ??
    Cannon FV 40

Another rental bat that's less than what we should expect for Freeman. Any trade for Freeman has to start with a FV 50 centerpiece with additional pieces added from there. An interesting target from Bos would be Casas...a direct replacement for Freeman at 1B.

Gallo to Brewers for:
    Hiura (prospect limbo guy who was a FV 60 back in 2019)
    Small FV 45
    Howell FV 45
    Garcia FV 40+

This is the package for an impact bat with 1+ years of control remaining, and similar should be expected for guys like Haniger and Reynolds. A potential impact centerpiece plus several good secondary parts. The equivalent from the Braves would have to be something like Pache (55/60) plus Muller (45) plus Jackson (45) plus Tarnok (40+). That's a hefty price to pay for a team with low odds of making the playoffs in 2021.

Scherzer to Astros for:
    Pena FV 50
    Lee FV 45
    Nova FV 40+

This is the package for rental TOR arm, and it informs us on the package AA can ask for in a Morton trade. While Morton is almost certainly less valuable than Scherzer, he may be the top arm on the market if the Nats aren't willing to deal Max. If AA can get Swanson's replacement for 2 months of Morton, he has to make it happen.

Kimbrel to Jays for:
    Groshans 50
    Hiraldo FV 45
    Smith FV 40

Folks around here clamoring for AA to grab the rental BP Ace of 2021 should think about what it will likely cost. We are talking Waters/Harris plus Muller plus Vodnik type of package for 2 months of BP dominance. Seems like a lot to give up for a team unlikely to make a postseason run.

Bryant to Mets for:
    Vientos FV 50
    Ginn FV 45

This is closer to the type of return AA should get for Freeman if he sells the rental impact bat. Freeman is a better hitter, but Bryant plays more valuable positions, so this is very close to what we can expect. A legit Top 100 guy plus valuable filler for Freeman, or no deal.

The main takeaway from this article to me is just how great a position the Cubs are in to restock their talent pool. The trio of Rizzo/Bryant/Kimbrel should net them 2-3 Top 100 guys plus several other valuable pieces. This will be a great chance to see just how good that FO really is now that they have to shift from contender to rebuilder...a bit like the shift AA should be making temporarily right now.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-22-2021 at 04:02 PM.