Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,746 Posts

Jace

'16 stats -- .282/.357/.382
    Last 7 -- .357/.400/.536
    Last 15 -- .328/.375/.500
    Last 30 -- .307/.388/.432

I'm extremely doubtful jace can keep this up, but what if he does? At what point does he get looked at as our long term 2b?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-02-2016)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I think that when all the future pieces are all in place, Jace become a super sub...and a darn fine one.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IowaBrave14 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-02-2016), Tapate50 (06-30-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    '16 stats -- .282/.357/.382
    Last 7 -- .357/.400/.536
    Last 15 -- .328/.375/.500
    Last 30 -- .307/.388/.432

I'm extremely doubtful jace can keep this up, but what if he does? At what point does he get looked at as our long term 2b?
    Probably at no point with Albies/Swanson in the system.

But that doesn't mean he can't be a valuable trade chip or super-utility guy for us.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-02-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,996 Posts
    I think the big thing with Peterson now is to put him at 2B and let him develop his offensive skills. He's on a hot streak and I expect him to cool down some, but I have to believe that moving him all over the field at this stage of his career might be distracting. There aren't a lot of guys who can be a super-utility guy right out of the gate. It takes some adjustments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,025 Posts
    Yah, its time to see if Jace's big dip in production last year was injury related or legit. If he's found something, he's a very valuable piece if not just to be a super utility guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Players develop differently and you have to keep an open mind. But our Plan A for next year should not include having Jace and Adonis Garcia as regulars. If they push their way into the regular lineup that's great. But it should not be part of Plan A for 2017.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    If I were guessing, Jace is being showcased for as long as he can stay hot.

Albies was demoted this morning, and Bowman said it's because the organization decided it's time for them to start playing together. Makes me wonder if Aybar's recent run of good play has someone sniffing around on him. Wouldn't hope for much of a return at this point since most of the contenders appear to be relatively healthy up the middle, but I'd imagine the brass is comfortable enough that we can get by with some combination of Jace/d'Arnaud/Beckham up the middle for the time being, and the move also frees up more reps in Gwinnett for Castro at SS in case of emergency.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    small samples. I just don't think he's very good. Ceiling is early prado for me.

I said before the year I would have flipped Aybar and tried Jace for a year at SS. I think he could be ok there and might hit enough to be a SS. I don't think he can play or hit enough for third. I dont' think he can hit enough for LF. Worth having pre-arb, but after that....no.

Would love to be wrong though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    I've said from day 1 that Jace is going to be a non-tender candidate when he hits arb1 or arb2. He is the typical 1-2 WAR player who is useful while cheap and can produce when played correctly...like in a platoon role.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    I like Jace more than most. I think he compares very favorably to Chris Coghlan, but with better defense. I'd be happy with that.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-30-2016), clvclv (06-30-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    small samples. I just don't think he's very good. Ceiling is early prado for me.

I said before the year I would have flipped Aybar and tried Jace for a year at SS. I think he could be ok there and might hit enough to be a SS. I don't think he can play or hit enough for third. I dont' think he can hit enough for LF. Worth having pre-arb, but after that....no.

Would love to be wrong though.
    He can't field enough to be a SS.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Aybar is our ss. He could have done that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I don't know about that, they never gave him a chance to do so. He looked pretty good at short in the minors, should be good enough to back-up the position for sure. And he is a lot better at short than Aybar has been this year starting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    He could of did a lot better than that, Aybar has no range. Peterson has some range and a better arm too.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    If the standard for our future at any position is, 'I think he would do it better than Aybar,' then we're completely screwed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I don't know about that, they never gave him a chance to do so. He looked pretty good at short in the minors, should be good enough to back-up the position for sure. And he is a lot better at short than Aybar has been this year starting.
    This is fair. What I said was honesty more of a joke, but I figure if we're going to go ahead and say that he won't hit enough for 3B then it's probably ok to say he won't field enough for SS, either. That just sounds like putting him at the position on the field that is generally weakest offensively because he has a weak bat. He's been basically average defensively at 2B...that's not someone who I think can become a threat to be a regular SS.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I like Jace more than most. I think he compares very favorably to Chris Coghlan, but with better defense. I'd be happy with that.
    That's a pretty good comp. Coghlan probably has a bit more power, but other than that they might be close provided Peterson develops a bit more.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Neither could Prado (regarding his comp).

I have always been a big Peterson supporter, and really think both Prado and Coghlan are pretty good comps IMO. The only place Jace could probably make it as a regular would be at 2B, but unless this is his "step forward" and he can maintain something resembling this kind of production - ~.350 OBP with some gap power - he's likely to be our Coghlan-type until he reaches free-agency. Assuming Dansby and Ozzie start next season as the regular starters, Jace shouldn't put up big enough numbers to make much even in his arb years.

Neither of those guys is a perfect comp - Prado and Jace could field well enough to be an emergency SS if something happened to BOTH Swanson and Albies for a short time, and Coghlan and Jace could probably defend well enough to be an emergency CF if something happened to BOTH Inciarte and Mallex for a short time.

I really like the idea of carrying both Jace and d'Arnaud to start 2017 - they'd give us all kinds of flexibility to potentially carry both Adonis and Ruiz as a platoon at 3B if we don't go after Cespedes or Desmond and have a platoon behind the plate while still carrying an extra pen arm...

C- Wieters/???/Flowers
    1B- Freeman/Garcia
    2B- Albies/Peterson/d'Arnaud
    SS- Swanson/Albies/Peterson/d'Arnaud
    3B- Garcia/Ruiz/Peterson/d'Arnaud
    LF- Mallex/Garcia/Peterson/d'Arnaud
    CF- Inciarte/Mallex/Peterson
    RF- Markakis/Inciarte

would only require 12 position players.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I agree, never said he could...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-30-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

I have always been a big Peterson supporter, and really think both Prado and Coghlan are pretty good comps IMO. The only place Jace could probably make it as a regular would be at 2B, but unless this is his "step forward" and he can maintain something resembling this kind of production - ~.350 OBP with some gap power - he's likely to be our Coghlan-type until he reaches free-agency. Assuming Dansby and Ozzie start next season as the regular starters, Jace shouldn't put up big enough numbers to make much even in his arb years.

Neither of those guys is a perfect comp - Prado and Jace could field well enough to be an emergency SS if something happened to BOTH Swanson and Albies for a short time, and Coghlan and Jace could probably defend well enough to be an emergency CF if something happened to BOTH Inciarte and Mallex for a short time.

I really like the idea of carrying both Jace and d'Arnaud to start 2017 - they'd give us all kinds of flexibility to potentially carry both Adonis and Ruiz as a platoon at 3B if we don't go after Cespedes or Desmond and have a platoon behind the plate while still carrying an extra pen arm...

C- Wieters/???/Flowers
    1B- Freeman/Garcia
    2B- Albies/Peterson/d'Arnaud
    SS- Swanson/Albies/Peterson/d'Arnaud
    3B- Garcia/Ruiz/Peterson/d'Arnaud
    LF- Mallex/Garcia/Peterson/d'Arnaud
    CF- Inciarte/Mallex/Peterson
    RF- Markakis/Inciarte

would only require 12 position players.
    Replace Markakis with a power threat in RF and that may not be so bad.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-30-2016)