Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    If the Braves were to sign Moustakas, Riley would probably be needed as a platoon player at 3rd. Everyone seems to forget that Moustakas is a below average against lefties in his career.
    He hit lefties pretty damn well last year. He had a better wOBA, wRC+ against LHPs than he did against RHPs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I'm not sure that I want to pigeonhole Riley into a platoon role yet. Yes, he fits there now, but he won't learn to hit righties without getting ABs against them.
    Even in a platoon role, Riley is still likely to get over 100 PAs vs RHP. And he really doesn't need to get more than that. He's pretty horrendous vs RHP and it isn't likely to change.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If payroll actually IS going to be in the $140-145 million range, doesn't there HAVE to be a trade involving Ender coming?

A d'Arnaud/Flowers platoon can't be the RH bat behind Freddie if you're going to let Snitker balance the lineup, can it? Payroll is now at ~ $115 million. If you give Donaldson ~ $25 million per, you're maxed-out, and Markakis hits 5th. Maybe not awful balance-wise, but how big an improvement is Markakis/d'Arnaud behind Freddie/Donaldson if you're still following them with Ender and Dansby and you don't add another SP?

Just find it hard to believe that AA is willing to start the season with two of Newk/Wright/Wilson/Touki/Anderson in the rotation.
    Why would there HAVE to be a trade involving Ender? What payroll is likely going to be doesn't really have any relevance to Ender.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    He hit lefties pretty damn well last year. He had a better wOBA, wRC+ against LHPs than he did against RHPs.
    What in his career numbers vs LHP suggest those numbers will be repeated?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Neck is fine if he is platooned. He hit 298/371/446 - 816 against righties in 2019. Good for a 112 WRC+.

Riley on the other hand crushed lefties. Hitting 262/338/646 - 984 against them. Good for a 135 WRC+. Now I obviously expect that slugging to drop but I am confident he can post a 800+ OPS against lefties.

We also know what Duvall can do a against lefties as well. I would not be opposed to a double platoon with Neck/Riley and Ender/Duvall to start the year. That should be very productive both on offense and defense.

That would pigeonhole the team into getting a quality 3B but I think that's where the team is at anyway right now.
    Kinda just feel like they don't intend to platoon Riley - at least at the beginning of the season. I would expect they want him getting as many ABs (and seeing as many breaking balls) as is humanly possible, and being the short-side of a Markakis platoon - especially with Snitker making the lineup card out - isn't going to help him make adjustments at all.

If they sign Moose and he gets hot again, it'll always be easy to open a spot for him by cutting Duvall loose. If he can get into a groove at Gwinnett and Snitker proves he can follow orders, it wouldn't be hard to get him ABs after he's "found himself" again. He ought to be able to get a few of them while giving Freddie and Moose a little time off - surely they FORCE Snitker to give people more time off this year, particularly Freddie. If Riley and Pache get off to good starts in Gwinnett, I'd think it starts to become much easier seeing both in platoon roles after the break, with Acuna left alone in RF.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-25-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Why would there HAVE to be a trade involving Ender? What payroll is likely going to be doesn't really have any relevance to Ender.
    It doesn't, but as of now Ender's likely our most expendable piece - and making his salary disappear can only help pay for an established SP if that is indeed the target. For instance, if you could convince the Indians that Ender would be an important part of a deal for Kluber and you let Greene walk you've got plenty of money left to bring Donaldson back, and you could re-sign Joyce to balance the lineup. There's no need to rush Pache, but he's going to be ready by midseason (if not before), and Acuna might not need to take a day off before he comes up.

It would be interesting to see what a Boyd trade would have to look like, but it just feels like AA wouldn't be any more inclined to meet Avila's demands now than he was in June or July. I just don't think Boyd fits the profile of someone AA's going to give up multiple assets - including one of our top 3 arms - for. He just doesn't seem to strike anyone as an Ace in waiting.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-25-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    So the 181 PA's against lefties last year should carry more weight than the 1000 plus AB's over the course of his career? I guess some players just figure it out once they hit 30.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Neck is fine if he is platooned. He hit 298/371/446 - 816 against righties in 2019. Good for a 112 WRC+.

Riley on the other hand crushed lefties. Hitting 262/338/646 - 984 against them. Good for a 135 WRC+. Now I obviously expect that slugging to drop but I am confident he can post a 800+ OPS against lefties.

We also know what Duvall can do a against lefties as well. I would not be opposed to a double platoon with Neck/Riley and Ender/Duvall to start the year. That should be very productive both on offense and defense.

That would pigeonhole the team into getting a quality 3B but I think that's where the team is at anyway right now.
    Unfortunately, we can't see stats like Z-Contact% and O-Swing% (the bright red flags for Riley even when he was getting great results) splits against LHP/RHP.

We can get some useful bits of split data though:

K% vs RHP - 36.0%
    K% vs LHP - 37.8%

BB% vs RHP - 3.6%
    BB% vs LHP - 10.8%

BABIP vs RHP - .286
    BABIP vs LHP - .323

HR/FB vs RHP - 18.0%
    HR/FB vs LHP - 33.3%

Needless to say, his HR/FB rate and probably some of his BABIP vs LHP is completely unsustainable. Remove 3 of his HRs vs LHP to simulate a more reasonable 19% HR/FB rate, and his slash line vs LHP drops to .215/.297/.462...an OPS of .759.

And that isn't even regressing his .323 BABIP at all...he simply doesn't make enough contact.

I don't think Riley is the answer to any question at the MLB level at the beginning of 2020, not even vs LHP. He has a pretty good track record of making adjustments, so it would be foolish to give up on him, but he shouldn't be relied on to fill any role on a contending club right now.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-25-2019 at 01:12 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2019), salmagundy (11-25-2019), UNCBlue012 (11-25-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Unfortunately, we can't see stats like Z-Contact% and O-Swing% (the bright red flags for Riley even when he was getting great results) splits against LHP/RHP.

We can get some useful bits of split data though:

K% vs RHP - 36.0%
    K% vs LHP - 37.8%

BB% vs RHP - 3.6%
    BB% vs LHP - 10.8%

BABIP vs RHP - .286
    BABIP vs LHP - .323

HR/FB vs RHP - 18.0%
    HR/FB vs LHP - 33.3%

Needless to say, his HR/FB rate and probably some of his BABIP vs LHP is completely unsustainable. Remove 3 of his HRs vs LHP to simulate a more reasonable 19% HR/FB rate, and his slash line vs LHP drops to .215/.297/.462...an OPS of .759.

And that isn't even regressing his .323 BABIP at all...he simply doesn't make enough contact.

I don't think Riley is the answer to any question at the MLB level at the beginning of 2020, not even vs LHP. He has a pretty good track record of making adjustments, so it would be foolish to give up on him, but he shouldn't be relied on to fill any role on a contending club right now.
    To me the Riley problem is he has to learn how to hit And recognize mlb sliders. He can only do that in mlb. He’s the guy that needs to be on a rebuilding team that can let him learn. We are not that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    AA has hinted Riley will start 2020 in AAA.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2019)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I've never followed his career close enough to have an opinion about this but, would Didi Gregorius be able to play 3rd? He's under 30 and his power seems to be increasing as he gets older and fills out. He should be in the 15 million per year range so he should fit in the Braves budget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I've never followed his career close enough to have an opinion about this but, would Didi Gregorius be able to play 3rd? He's under 30 and his power seems to be increasing as he gets older and fills out. He should be in the 15 million per year range so he should fit in the Braves budget.
    A good chunk of his value is on defense at short. The bat wouldn't be anything special for a third baseman. Otoh he might be looking for a one-year deal to rebuild value.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-25-2019 at 01:43 PM.

"I am your retribution."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    To me the Riley problem is he has to learn how to hit And recognize mlb sliders. He can only do that in mlb. He’s the guy that needs to be on a rebuilding team that can let him learn. We are not that.
    Forget hitting them. I'd be satisfied if he could simply recognize breaking balls. That itself would be a major improvement to his game, as it would increase his BB rate and decrease his K rate. I mean if he could even be a Dan Uggla/Brian Dozier type of player, I'd consider that a win. But with his current approach, I'm not sure he's an above average major league hitter, much less an above average 3b.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Forget hitting them. I'd be satisfied if he could simply recognize breaking balls. That itself would be a major improvement to his game, as it would increase his BB rate and decrease his K rate. I mean if he could even be a Dan Uggla/Brian Dozier type of player, I'd consider that a win. But with his current approach, I'm not sure he's an above average major league hitter, much less an above average 3b.
    It is truly hard to overstate just how bad Riley's contact numbers were in 2019.

Since 2010 there have been 3109 player-seasons of 250+ PAs. Out of those 3109 seasons, Rileys Z-Contact% ranks as the 23rd worst.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...12-31&sort=8,a

He was literally one of the worst 1% players the last 10 years at making contact with pitches in the strike zone.

The other terrible contact hitters had a much better O-Swing% than Riley's awful 41.3% rate, meaning that while they missed a lot, at least they didn't swing at bad pitches so often to compound the problem.

The comparisons to Gallo fail to realize that Gallo doesn't swing at nearly as many bad pitches as Riley, and Gallo's power is at least 2-3 grades higher than Riley's. Gallo's contact is much more impactful (literally) than Riley's and it helps to make up for his poor contact skills.

The only MLB hitter other than Riley and Alfaro the last 10 years to accumulate 250+ PAs while whiffing on more than 25% of the strikes he swung at and also swinging at more than 40% of the pitches outside the zone was a guy named Junior Lake in 2014.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...72&position=OF

No doubt he looked like a useful player after that flukey 2014 season. Even that guy swung at fewer bad pitches and made more contact than Riley did in 2019. He's playing in the Mexican League now...
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-25-2019 at 02:57 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2019), salmagundy (11-25-2019)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    It’s sad that the Braves largest FA deal is B.J. Upton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Gross

22. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimeDog247 View Post
    It’s sad that the Braves largest FA deal is B.J. Upton.
    extent

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I fixed the offseason and tradevalues.com said it was a minor overpay by the braves.

Indians are moving off guys. Trying to say in it but get more control. Need a CF.

Indians get: Inciarte, Riley, Swanson, Newk, Ian Anderson and Waters.
    Braves get: Kluber, Lindor AND Ramirez

Ramirez is the real prize here. Lots of team control and fixes 3B.

Indians get a CF and down grade to get Anderson, Waters and team control of cheap guys with some upside.

Problems solved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I fixed the offseason and tradevalues.com said it was a minor overpay by the braves.

Indians are moving off guys. Trying to say in it but get more control. Need a CF.

Indians get: Inciarte, Riley, Swanson, Newk, Ian Anderson and Waters.
    Braves get: Kluber, Lindor AND Ramirez

Ramirez is the real prize here. Lots of team control and fixes 3B.

Indians get a CF and down grade to get Anderson, Waters and team control of cheap guys with some upside.

Problems solved.
    It won’t ever happen but I’d do that in a heartbeat

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    It won’t ever happen but I’d do that in a heartbeat
    Every person in Cleveland would suicide themselves. Not only would they lose their three biggest players for a terrible package, but they would still be in Cleveland. Too much to bear.