Page 83 of 289 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    So who won the Kemp for Culberson trade?

Culberson is a GA native I believe. Won't surprise me to see me back on a minor league deal.
    Culberson is from Rome, GA.

Wheeler is from Paulding county, about an hour from the Atlanta airport. I've wondered all offseason if that will be of any relevance.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I would definitely be interested in bringing Wood back. Never wanted to get rid of him the first time but since we were going all in on the rebuild... didn't sting as badly.
    Forever Fredi

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (12-03-2019), jpx7 (12-03-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I think you are right....Cincy being idiots have really screwed us in the process.

Silver lining is that he did not sign to play 3rd, so should not be considered a 3rd baseman contract. It’s still stupid money for him.

What would a deal built around Riley for someone like Matt Chapman look like?
    Cincinnati being idiots. What are they going to do with senzel and Suarez? They clearly want to compete. They have hitters but need arms. If I’m aa I want to see how dumb they are. Can I get them to jump on the poo poo platter? They need a cf so inciarte. Senzel to 3b. Trade One of our catching prospects, Wright, Wilson, muller and Davidson?

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I would love Senzel, but I believe they have him playing CF. Senzel would be a perfect addition to the roster. They did give away Trammell for garbage in my opinion too lol

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I think Senzel could be had for a package of Ender, Waters, and maybe a mid level pitcher or 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Cincinnati being idiots. What are they going to do with senzel and Suarez? They clearly want to compete. They have hitters but need arms. If I’m aa I want to see how dumb they are. Can I get them to jump on the poo poo platter? They need a cf so inciarte. Senzel to 3b. Trade One of our catching prospects, Wright, Wilson, muller and Davidson?
    they may need a bullpen arm, sure, but that rotation is really really good. They don’t need arms that badly. Offense was their issue last year. I either misread what you meant or you’re just typing to type.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UofL_Braves View Post
    I think Senzel could be had for a package of Ender, Waters, and maybe a mid level pitcher or 2.
    Doubt they trade Senzel, but plausible if they believe in Ender bouncing back.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-03-2019 at 08:52 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Should we offer a one year deal to Travis Shaw?

He makes sense as a bench piece even if he's not the strong side of a platoon at third. Nice buy low candidate.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Pillar hits lefties well. With the extra roster spot this year you could keep Duvall and add Pillar. Both cOF spots could be platooned. A good manager could probably get decent results with a Neck/Duvall Ender/ Pillar OF.

Don’t forget Pillar is an ex Blue Jay. I’m sure he is on AA’s radar.

Several options out there to replace Ender's defense if necessary.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Rays dropped Heredia, a less than awesome candidate to be a cheap 5th OFer.

DBacks also dropped Taijuan Walker, a guy coming off TJ that could be a comeback pitcher at the back of the rotation.
    that's a good flyer.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    While you can make the argument Riley needs to go down and get everyday ABs, platooning him with Shaw could make sense - especially if they believe there's a bounceback coming for Shaw. Drop Duvall and use the money saved to pay Shaw - Riley becomes Shaw's platoon-mate, gives Freddie more rest than Snitker's been giving him, and becomes your primary pinch-hitter against lefties. Sign Ozuna to hit behind Freddie and Markakis becomes your primary pinch-hitter against righties. Bring Joyce and Hechavarria (or Jose Iglesias) back to fill out the bench. You've upgraded the bench (Joyce and Riley instead of Duvall and Culberson), maintained Snitker's precious L/R balance in the middle (Freeman/Ozuna/Shaw/d'Arnaud), and kept the Waters/Riley/young arms powder dry in the event AA can swing a deal for an Ace.

You also would have accomplished all that without giving Donaldson (or anyone else) an exorbitant contract (maybe 4/$64 million to Ozuna) while significantly upgrading the pen. If AA could somehow get that guy to pitch at the front of a playoff rotation, there's no reason that team wouldn't be considered a serious contender.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-03-2019 at 09:45 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I missed the Padres trading for Profar. Interesting.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    He makes sense as a bench piece even if he's not the strong side of a platoon at third. Nice buy low candidate.
    Shaw would be a great bench piece. I still think AA gets Donaldson back, but if not, Shaw might be a cheap option at third. If he can revert to his 2017 and 2018 form he would be a steal on a cheap contract.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    You're aware the Reds had a better ERA (4.18 to 4.19), more Saves (46 to 44), allowed less earned runs (668 to 675), allowed less hits (1270 to 1421), walked less batters (536 to 548), struck out more batters (1552 to 1393), had a lower batting average against (.235 to .256) and had a lower WHIP (1.26 to 1.36) than the Braves last season, right? That's without a full season from Bauer (who was awful after the trade). It's pretty easy to make the argument that the top 4 SPs in the Reds' rotation are clearly better than the top 4 SPs in the Braves' rotation.

They can go get a #4 or #5 SP without giving up Senzel.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Shaw would be a good guy to do a deep dive into his 2019 stats. First glance tells us his exit velocities were within his normal range, and that .214 BABIP was pretty rough.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-03-2019), jpx7 (12-03-2019)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    While you can make the argument Riley needs to go down and get everyday ABs, platooning him with Shaw could make sense - especially if they believe there's a bounceback coming for Shaw. Drop Duvall and use the money saved to pay Shaw - Riley becomes Shaw's platoon-mate, gives Freddie more rest than Snitker's been giving him, and becomes your primary pinch-hitter against lefties. Sign Ozuna to hit behind Freddie and Markakis becomes your primary pinch-hitter against righties. Bring Joyce and Hechavarria (or Jose Iglesias) back to fill out the bench. You've upgraded the bench (Joyce and Riley instead of Duvall and Culberson), maintained Snitker's precious L/R balance in the middle (Freeman/Ozuna/Shaw/d'Arnaud), and kept the Waters/Riley/young arms powder dry in the event AA can swing a deal for an Ace.
    I'm confused. You start the post saying Riley should be a platoon partner with Shaw (which is a terrible idea) to the last sentence where Riley is in a piece in a trade for an ace. Usually teams don't trade aces for platoon players.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Interesting starting pitching:

Gausman - might be a good long man
    Tajuan Walker - flyer off injury
    Jimmy Nelson - not sure where he is in his cycle of injury, but decent when briefly healthy

Cesar Hernandez - not sure where he would fit on the Braves but solid player
    Travis Shaw - Actually does fit the Braves as a left handed utility man that with a bounce back might be a mid-line 3B starter for cheap. If that is the case, you would want to see an OF acquisition.
    Kevin Pillar - CF - not what he was and not ideal but perhaps useful in a scenario where Inciarte's money is dealt.
    Blake Treinen - will be someone's reclamation project, but hard to see it being in Atlanta giving the previous offseason investments.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’d love Senzel and he’d fit perfect on this team but i see no way he’d be available. With the Red starting their window to compete they are gonna be adding pieces not subtracting them. I wonder with Moose off the market if AA will up his pursuit of JD.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'm confused. You start the post saying Riley should be a platoon partner with Shaw (which is a terrible idea) to the last sentence where Riley is in a piece in a trade for an ace. Usually teams don't trade aces for platoon players.
    You would have Riley, Waters, and all the arms if AA wanted to wait until the deadline to look for a deal for a TOR arm - someone else might become a seller in June/July that isn't interested in trading a SP now because they consider themselves contenders.

Teams don't trade Aces for Waters or any of our young arms straight-up either - getting one is going to take a package of players.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-03-2019 at 09:57 AM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    I'm still pretty anti-Bumgarner, but this stuff from Rosenthal is at least somewhat interesting:

"Even more intriguing to the analytically inclined — which now includes pretty much every club — the increase in Bumgarner’s spin rate on his four-seam fastball from 2018 to ’19 was the biggest in the entire sport. The upward tick in Bumgarner’s stuff overall suggests that, like Wheeler, he might need only to harness it properly to further bolster his performance. Analytics can help guide him in that regard, offering ideas on how to best use and locate his pitches."

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2019)