Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Draft Day, Post-Draft Thread

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    WYFF in Greenville reporting that Ryan MIller (31st) will be returning to school.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    BOOM! Drew Waters just tweeted he is officially a Brave as of 10 p.m. Monday. Screw the Marlins; this is a good day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    BOOM! Drew Waters just tweeted he is officially a Brave as of 10 p.m. Monday. Screw the Marlins; this is a good day.
    Right at slot?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Baseball America says Waters will sign for $1.5 million. Looks like slow value was $1.67 million.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Baseball America says Waters will sign for $1.5 million. Looks like slow value was $1.67 million.
    I thought we would have to go over slot to get him.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I did, too. So it looks like Wright could be our only overslot guy. The only one up in the air looks like Tarnok, and maybe the catcher in the 11th.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    They offered him a hunting trip with Chipper so I'm sure that's what sealed the deal.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2017)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    I'm curious to get everyone's opinion. With Vanderbilt being out of the College World Series it makes me wonder what would happen if they were still participating. The Braves could then not negotiate with Kyle Wright. Do you think the Braves would then start to negotiate with other players or wait till Wright signs?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_Chris View Post
    I'm curious to get everyone's opinion. With Vanderbilt being out of the College World Series it makes me wonder what would happen if they were still participating. The Braves could then not negotiate with Kyle Wright. Do you think the Braves would then start to negotiate with other players or wait till Wright signs?
    I think everyone knew Wright's number, which appears to be a 7 followed by six zeroes. When Wright became available, I think it was determined to be well below slot in rounds 4 through 10 to be able to scrape together enough for Wright. I'm curious as to what the approach would have been had Wright not been available. We may have seen the Beck/Beck 1st/2nd tandem or something like that where we would have gone below in the first and rolled that into the second and third rounds.

I think what this shows about the baseball draft is that a team goes in--or should go in--with multiple strategies depending on how things play out.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-17-2017), nsacpi (06-17-2017), The Chosen One (06-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Austin Bush (15th), who has "light tower power" and is a close friend of Cumberland, has tweeted he's on his way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I think everyone knew Wright's number, which appears to be a 7 followed by six zeroes. When Wright became available, I think it was determined to be well below slot in rounds 4 through 10 to be able to scrape together enough for Wright. I'm curious as to what the approach would have been had Wright not been available. We may have seen the Beck/Beck 1st/2nd tandem or something like that where we would have gone below in the first and rolled that into the second and third rounds.

I think what this shows about the baseball draft is that a team goes in--or should go in--with multiple strategies depending on how things play out.
    The one wrinkle I'm curious about is whether at some point the Braves told Wright they would give him 7M if he dropped to them and that became his asking price to other teams. If he had a preference for playing for the Braves, his asking price to the other teams might have been north of 7M.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I wondered that nsacpi. If Wright started dropping bc of his asking price to scare teams off so he'd fall to 5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I wondered that nsacpi. If Wright started dropping bc of his asking price to scare teams off so he'd fall to 5.
    It seems that a couple of the teams picking ahead of the Braves had the opposite strategy. They had two or more players they ranked about the same and were willing to draft whichever one was willing to sign under slot. It was an interesting dynamic.

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The one wrinkle I'm curious about is whether at some point the Braves told Wright they would give him 7M if he dropped to them and that became his asking price to other teams. If he had a preference for playing for the Braves, his asking price to the other teams might have been north of 7M.
    It was obviously a deal worked out ahead of time to get him to drop. If the first 4 teams simply passed, there would be 0 reason to give him $7 million. Even if he demands that after being drafted, what leverage does he have? Is he going back to school? That was likely never on the table.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It was obviously a deal worked out ahead of time to get him to drop. If the first 4 teams simply passed, there would be 0 reason to give him $7 million. Even if he demands that after being drafted, what leverage does he have? Is he going back to school? That was likely never on the table.
    sure seems that way...and if they had him rated significantly better than the other top guys it was smart of the FO to play it that way...maybe his growing up a Braves fan in Alabama helped in this situation

i think the above scenario still needs a final ingredient...which is that the four teams picking ahead of us did not share our assessment that Wright was significantly better than the other guys taken in the top 5

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    sure seems that way...and if they had him rated significantly better than the other top guys it was smart of the FO to play it that way...maybe his growing up a Braves fan in Alabama helped in this situation

i think the above scenario still needs a final ingredient...which is that the four teams picking ahead of us did not share our assessment that Wright was significantly better than the other guys taken in the top 5
    Oh, sure, it obviously hinged on the other teams being unwilling to pay the $7 million or whatever, especially the Twins. But it's still pretty clear the Braves agreed to pay him this before the draft began.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    It seems plausible that everyone knew what his number was. We're hearing none of the top four will get this much, so it probably boils down to the Braves meeting his number. If not, he probably falls into the later rounds as unsignable and returns to Vandy for his senior year.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Really in a hurry to hear that Bacon, Zimmerman, and Rodgers have signed. Would pretty much guarantee that we got the three guys we targeted.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    It seems plausible that everyone knew what his number was. We're hearing none of the top four will get this much, so it probably boils down to the Braves meeting his number. If not, he probably falls into the later rounds as unsignable and returns to Vandy for his senior year.
    I just don't see this as plausible. Essentially 0 college juniors who are projected anywhere near the 1st round ever go back to school, and we heard nothing about Wright being a tough sign before the draft. There would be very, very little to gain and a whole bunch to lose from Wright's perspective by making tough bonus demands. Probably as simple as Wright and the Braves talking and coming to an agreement if he told other teams he wanted to go to Atlanta.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (06-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I just don't see this as plausible. Essentially 0 college juniors who are projected anywhere near the 1st round ever go back to school, and we heard nothing about Wright being a tough sign before the draft. There would be very, very little to gain and a whole bunch to lose from Wright's perspective by making tough bonus demands. Probably as simple as Wright and the Braves talking and coming to an agreement if he told other teams he wanted to go to Atlanta.
    i thought the Padres might do something like this with Hunter Greene

"I am your retribution."