Page 33 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Anybody know what happens if players with a QO don't sign before ST?

Does the QO continue to follow them forever until they sign?
    It drops off after mlb draft

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Always interesting to be a target...

mentioning something that AA has said publicly he hasn't "closed the door on" (when the thought was even explained as an entirely unlikely hypothetical) draws a response, yet the thought of trading for someone like Shelby Miller - who would fit in somewhere around 10th on our current Pitcher depth chart and is a bigger headcase than Folty at this point - draws none.

If you're willing to entertain the thought of trading Julio because you're not convinced he can bounce back and that SunTrust has gotten into his head but honestly think Miller can become a more effective member of your rotation (and less of a distraction or be less "in the way") than Julio at this point I really wonder if you're actually watching the games when they're on.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Lack of power being given some bad thought IMO.

The Braves’ lineup has lost a lot of pop with the departures of Kemp, Matt Adams, and Brandon Phillips, and the team’s primary hope is that its young players emerge as power threats, Gabriel Burns of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes. Continued development from Ozzie Albies, Rio Ruiz, and Johan Camargo would be a boon for the team, and big things are expected from star prospect Ronald Acuna. There’s also still the potential for another addition, GM Alex Anthopoulos said: “We’ve talked about the loss of power and how to make up for it. I don’t have an answer today. Normally you’d say ’Wow, it’s late January, how do you not have an answer?’ But there’s a lot of free agents still out there and there’s a lot of bodies.”

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Maybe we can be friends?
    Aww, shucks. Bring it in, big guy.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-02-2018), jpx7 (02-02-2018), Tapate50 (02-02-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post

The Braves’ lineup has lost a lot of pop with the departures of Kemp, Matt Adams, and Brandon Phillips, and the team’s primary hope is that its young players emerge as power threats, Gabriel Burns of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes. Continued development from Ozzie Albies, Rio Ruiz, and Johan Camargo would be a boon for the team, and big things are expected from star prospect Ronald Acuna. There’s also still the potential for another addition, GM Alex Anthopoulos said: “We’ve talked about the loss of power and how to make up for it. I don’t have an answer today. Normally you’d say ’Wow, it’s late January, how do you not have an answer?’ But there’s a lot of free agents still out there and there’s a lot of bodies.”
    Brandon Phillips...pop?
    maybe pop as in like, dad.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

Yes and the Braves were 3rd from last in MLB last season with 165 HR hit, ahead of Pittsburgh and the Giants. Last season was a season of inflated HR numbers but where you finish as a team in relation to other teams still has some importance. Kemp, Adams and Phillips need to be replaced by players who can replace their lost power but who are better baseball players overall as well. Then AA needs to MORE than just replace the lost power to help bring the team up closer to league average in power if they really want to have a chance to win anything.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

This was a strange quote for me. I got used to the Hart/Coppy regime and their "fake news" to keep people ihyped but AA has seemed to be pretty honest, albeit aloof in his comments. This makes it sound as though we are planning on doing something.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    This was a strange quote for me. I got used to the Hart/Coppy regime and their "fake news" to keep people ihyped but AA has seemed to be pretty honest, albeit aloof in his comments. This makes it sound as though we are planning on doing something.
    The funny thing about "doing something" especially in order to offset the power loss is that the company line all along is that they're not going after the two guys that could almost replace it by themselves because they're not going to block Riley. Kemp and Adams combined for 39 bombs last season (IIRC Adams hit one before coming over), so Moustakas covers for both of them and Frazier would give you 2/3 of what they provided. A full season from Albies would make up that difference if you could sign Frazier on a shorter deal. Adding Acuna (at whatever point) more than makes up for what you lost in Phillips, and a healthy season from Freeman pushes that number higher.

AA's not going to add any OF pop unless he does it via trade, so where can it possibly come from if he chooses to give Camargo and Ruiz 2018 at 3B?

I'm probably as big as anyone other than thethe on Riley, but if you pass on the golden opportunity to add Moustakas or Frazier you've punted 2018 - and it could turn out to be a HUGE mistake. You're doubling down on Riley as the answer at 3B (when AA couldn't possibly have seen much of him either), because you have no shot at Machado and not much more of a shot at Donaldson.

Sign one of the obvious fits now, make Riley a LF, and suddenly you've got a *elluva potent offense in 2019.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The funny thing about "doing something" especially in order to offset the power loss is that the company line all along is that they're not going after the two guys that could almost replace it by themselves because they're not going to block Riley. Kemp and Adams combined for 39 bombs last season (IIRC Adams hit one before coming over), so Moustakas covers for both of them and Frazier would give you 2/3 of what they provided. A full season from Albies would make up that difference if you could sign Frazier on a shorter deal. Adding Acuna (at whatever point) more than makes up for what you lost in Phillips, and a healthy season from Freeman pushes that number higher.

AA's not going to add any OF pop unless he does it via trade, so where can it possibly come from if he chooses to give Camargo and Ruiz 2018 at 3B?

I'm probably as big as anyone other than thethe on Riley, but if you pass on the golden opportunity to add Moustakas or Frazier you've punted 2018 - and it could turn out to be a HUGE mistake. You're doubling down on Riley as the answer at 3B (when AA couldn't possibly have seen much of him either), because you have no shot at Machado and not much more of a shot at Donaldson.

Sign one of the obvious fits now, make Riley a LF, and suddenly you've got a *elluva potent offense in 2019.
    I sort of think there will be someone like Frazier on the market most seasons.

Moustakkos is more interesting to me as a long term piece, but I am not completely sold and I kind of doubt he actually ends up signing a way below market deal. I think KC will step in before it gets to that.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Brandon Phillips...pop?
    maybe pop as in like, dad.
    Or his knees when he runs on the field.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Coach_Chris For This Useful Post:

Super (02-05-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Just a guess, but I imagine everyone involved in baseball is too smart to have a single season of inflated HR numbers for a 32 year old influence his next contract.

Every single MLB decision maker knows exactly what Todd Frazier is by now. Kind of like how everyone knew what Jaime Garcia was before he threw that good game right before he was traded, so therefore his trade value didn't increase at all.
    It happens almost every year though. I mean he's not getting a 100 million payday or anything, but assuming he comes here and puts up 30-35 homers with a above average defense and 4ish WAR, he could set himself up for a 3 year deal in the 40-50 million dollar range.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-02-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I sort of think there will be someone like Frazier on the market most seasons.

Moustakkos is more interesting to me as a long term piece, but I am not completely sold and I kind of doubt he actually ends up signing a way below market deal. I think KC will step in before it gets to that.
    Not so sure about that, but I certainly wouldn't offer Frazier more than a couple years either.

Moose is a bit different though. No one saw his market crashing like it has, but someone needs to take advantage of the situation - and he "fits" here as well (if not better) than anywhere else. He's young enough that if you can wind up getting him on a 3-4 year deal that you could be looking at a Freeman/Acuna/Moustakas/Riley heart of the order while Freddie and Moose are still in their primes with all the cheap, young pitching coming. If you "solve" 3B and LF with Moustakas and Riley you can keep EVERY arm and turn the ones that "lose" the competition for rotation spots into an unbelievably dominant pen to back up the ones that do. It's scary to imagine how good a Gohara/Wright/Newcomb/Teheran/Soroka rotation with a Minter/Touki/Fried/Anderson/Wentz pen could be as early as 2020 IMO.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Braves and Dodgers hook up again?? Story on Tomahawk Take

https://tomahawktake.com/2018/01/29/...-deal-dodgers/

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

This guy is suggesting the Braves take on $23M in salary to buy a prospect. They are already sitting at $107M-$115M in 2018. I doubt they have anywhere near $23M in payroll space, or they wouldn’t be talking about backloading any significant FA deal they might make.

Further, Grandall has significant trade value. FG projects him as a 1-2 win player, and his elite framing adds ~2 wins. A 3-4 win player has $20M+ in surplus value, even if a team is somehow skeptical of framing runs. The Dodgers would have no problem sending him to a team like the Nats for a decent prospect return.

Forsythe also has some positive trade value. He is also projected to be a 1-2 win player making $9M, which is probably worth a FV 40 lottery ticket. A team like the Brewers could use him at 2B in exchange for a low level prospect like that.

Hell, even Ryu should be able to be given away at some point without the Dodgers kicking in a prospect. Some team will be looking to fill out their rotation and would be willing to take Ryu and his $6M salary.

So this author suggests the Braves could buy a prospect by taking on guys who don’t carry much (if any) negative value. Needles to say he doesn’t know how to value players.

The Dodgers should have no problem clearing $10M+ to sign Darvish if they want, and they likely won’t have to give up any prospect capital to do so if they don’t trade Kemp.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-02-2018 at 09:21 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-03-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

That was horrible. No way dodgers do that
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

I often throw stuff at the wall and most of it doesn't stick. Seems this writer has the same issue. Plus side on all the possible Dodger salary dumps is that they are free agents after the 2018 season, so the downside risk for anyone picking them up is mitigated. What would the Dodgers want in return? Writer doesn't expand on that. Obvious direction would be a prospect or two from our treasure chest.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    That trade doesn't make sense from the Dodgers perspective, but picking up Forsythe on a smaller deal to be a stopgap 3B might make sense if the cost is insignificant. That is assuming you think he's a candidate to bounce back to his 15-16 production.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    That trade doesn't make sense from the Dodgers perspective, but picking up Forsythe on a smaller deal to be a stopgap 3B might make sense if the cost is insignificant. That is assuming you think he's a candidate to bounce back to his 15-16 production.
    That would have to be the case. I've never been sold on Forsythe.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    The most hilarious thing about that article is him treating Grandal as a nothing player that they would be eager to move for pennies. Lol

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    The most hilarious thing about that article is him treating Grandal as a nothing player that they would be eager to move for pennies. Lol
    Or that the Braves would cut a 2+ war catcher that is only making 8 million
    Coppy

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-03-2018)