Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I fine dealing some. But a lot of these prospects we want to move aren’t even on the 40 man roster or just got added. We can let some assets mature a bit more.

I love the thought of another year of seasoning with johan, dansby, Acuña and oz all together. Sprinkle in our young pitching to prove themselves and you could start a very long reign of domination. Without any moves we are a top 8 team. Don’t cash in all your chips just to get to a top 4 team when there really isn’t a lot separating us from that spot now.

Make cautious moves now and maybe one bold move mid year. Then really answer any remaining questions next off season.
    As much as I love the idea of having an Ace, it's tough to disagree with this. If we're a Top 4 team and leading the Division in late July, then you push your chips in - somebody will part with that Ace then if you need it and are willing to overpay.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    The problem with keeping SP prospects is their value can torpedo down and they wont be worth as much via trade.

Guys like Allard, Gohara, Fried, among some others values could really hit low a year from now, and we'd be looking like why didnt they move them. It would be beyond stupid to not make at least 1 big trade to help out the team.

The Braves window wont last forever, they need to capitalize on the farm they have, and use some of them in trades to improve the roster which has holes.
    The idea is to sell high on prospects, not sell them after their value has deteriorated.

Which SPs improved their stock? Anderson, Touki and Wilson is all I count. Wright and Wentz probably maintained their value.

Gohara, Soroka, Allard, Fried, and Newk all saw their value decrease after using up another year of control, showing they aren't very good, getting hurt, or a combination of those things.

So everyone wants to sell low on these assets. Doesn't seem very smart to me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Chico (11-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    FG just realsed their Top 50 FAs and projections:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2019...0-free-agents/

I would not want to be the team giving Donaldson 3 years, that's for sure.

I also feel sorry for whatever team gives Corbin $100M.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-05-2018)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Is it a crazy idea to try to trade and extend Nolan Arenado? What would it take?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    You guys think it is crazy to trade for Mookie Betts
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    with a little luck and patience we could have this sort of post season

1) Grandal at AAV of 15M
    2) Trade Newcomb and Wentz for Peralta and Lamb (adding 15m to payroll)
    3) Sign high leverage reliever for AAV of 12m
    4) Sign Anibal for 6m

Opening day rotation is Folty, Anibal, Gausman, Julion, Fried

We hold on to Soroka, Gohara, Touki, Wright, Wilson, Riley, Pache, Waters, Contreras

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Hopefully the same team that paid jake 75 million.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

I'm no big fan of Grandal or spending big at catcher, but I would be happy about a Grandal signing at their projection of $45 million over 3 years. I've expected his contract to be north of 4/60 which I would call a clear pass.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Kiley is right and 13 per gets Grandal then I’m all over that. Kimbrel at 14 is tempting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Gohara and allard probably at low point. Gohara is worth holding on to. Don't really care on allard. I'd trade newcomb and fried if it upgraded us. Gohara is a lottery ticket worth holding though
    It’s never the right time to trade anybody around here.

Last year before Allard’s debut it was ridiculous how highly some people had him valued.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    with a little luck and patience we could have this sort of post season

1) Grandal at AAV of 15M
    2) Trade Newcomb and Wentz for Peralta and Lamb (adding 15m to payroll)
    3) Sign high leverage reliever for AAV of 12m
    4) Sign Anibal for 6m

Opening day rotation is Folty, Anibal, Gausman, Julion, Fried

We hold on to Soroka, Gohara, Touki, Wright, Wilson, Riley, Pache, Waters, Contreras
    I have a similar outlook...Grandal 3 year @ 15M, Brantley 2 year @13M, Anibal 1 @ 6M, trade Newcomb and Ender for Mitch Haniger. And dump Tehran.

Lineup - Albies, Acuna, Freeman, Brantley, Haniger, Camargo, Grandal, Dansby
    Rotation - Folty, Gausman, Anibal, Soroka, Fried (with Touki, Wright, Wilson, Gohara in he wings)
    Bullpen - Viz, Minter, ODay, Sobatka, Winkler, Ventres, with moeny at the deadline.

Reinforcements time well also. Riley in 1 year, Pache in 2 years, Contreas & Waters in 3 years, Pitchers galore

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Also feel sorry for whoever gives Keuchel 20 million per year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I think more teams are gonna go away from the 30-40 million dollar a year guy and spread the money out on a lot of good players rather than one or two great ones. I’m curious to see what Harper and Machado get.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    You guys think it is crazy to trade for Mookie Betts
    Arenardo has one year left with Rockies, if they can’t sign him long term it may be an option worth pursuing SA. It would cost a lot, but it’s worth it if we can sign him long term.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimeDog247 View Post
    Arenardo has one year left with Rockies, if they can’t sign him long term it may be an option worth pursuing SA. It would cost a lot, but it’s worth it if we can sign him long term.
    There are two different transactions. What you trade to get him has nothing to do with him signing or not. That's just not how it works in todays game.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I think more teams are gonna go away from the 30-40 million dollar a year guy and spread the money out on a lot of good players rather than one or two great ones. I’m curious to see what Harper and Machado get.
    I think you are right! I believe Harper and Machado will not get 10 year plus contracts from no one.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Why would they trade their best player.
    Coppy

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Why would they trade their best player.
    It would take a king's ransom to get him and then we'd have to give him the kind of deal that is being discussed for Harper or Machado. Giving up that kind of package and not re-signing him would be very short sighted.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    It’s never the right time to trade anybody around here.

Last year before Allard’s debut it was ridiculous how highly some people had him valued.
    For the long-term - and numbers-wise - they're not wrong. Given the depth of MLB-ready pitching in the Braves' system, injuries SHOULDN'T be a concern for the next 4-5 years - how many franchises have ever been in that position?

What gets "missed" from the pure numbers perspective is that being the smartest guy in the room without money gets you nowhere these days. Whether or not any franchise has completely bought into analytics is at least somewhat irrelevant - EVERYBODY is at the very least hiring people who have a better understanding of the numbers and letting them make their points to the decision-makers. Whether you're a "numbers-guy" or an "eye-test" guy, you have to come to the realization that the old stats vs. scouts argument is long dead - you're simply not going to be able to run circles around the JS/Bobby old-school crowd because they have all hired people like AA to teach them what they don't yet understand - or at the very least warn them when they're about to make a monstrous mistake when they choose to go with their gut rather than the numbers. The old-school crowd isn't a bunch of flaming idiots - they'd never have gotten to the positions they've been in in the first place if that was the case. Warn them they're about to screw up and show them why they did a few times, and they'll figure out they need to listen more carefully.

The only problem I have with worshiping at the analytics altar is that it treats everything as if all 30 teams are playing a zero-sum game, and they simply aren't. The teams with money can afford to spend their way out of the few times when the numbers don't work out like they expected them to. The Braves can't do that. The Rays have never been able to do that. There's probably not a team in the game that made moves strictly by the numbers more often than the Dodgers did this year - and that may very well be what cost them. They didn't have a "go-to guy" - not a single one. Boston was able to rally around their struggling stars because of the immeasurables - nobody on the Dodgers' roster got that chance because they were going by the book NO MATTER WHAT. At some point the poorer teams are going to have to trade in a few inexpensive pieces - even when doing so is inefficient - simply because they're as close as they can get and can't just go buy that last piece any other way.

When you can't spend enough to cover just one or two mistakes, you simply can't compete with the big-market teams any more today than you could in the past because they don't make as many mistakes as they used to when they simply threw money at those mistakes.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-05-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    This is something that.... well.... I just don't understand why people can't grasp it. You NEVER EVER EVER EVER trade for a rental with the expectation of signing him long term. Not unless you have a deal put in place before the trade is finalized.