Page 52 of 154 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 3063

Thread: Legal/scotus thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Kenneth G. Appold was a suitemate of Kavanaugh’s at the time of the alleged incident. He had previously spoken to The New Yorker about Ramirez on condition of anonymity, but he said that he is now willing to be identified because he believes that the F.B.I. must thoroughly investigate her allegation. Appold, who is the James Hastings Nichols Professor of Reformation History at Princeton Theological Seminary, said that he first heard about the alleged incident involving Kavanaugh and Ramirez either the night it occurred or a day or two later. Appold said that he was “one-hundred-per-cent certain” that he was told that Kavanaugh was the male student who exposed himself to Ramirez. He said that he never discussed the allegation with Ramirez, whom he said he barely knew in college. But he recalled details—which, he said, an eyewitness described to him at the time—that match Ramirez’s memory of what happened. “I can corroborate Debbie’s account,” he said in an interview. “I believe her, because it matches the same story I heard thirty-five years ago, although the two of us have never talked.”

Appold, who won two Fulbright Fellowships, and earned his Ph.D. in religious studies from Yale in 1994, also recalled telling his graduate-school roommate about the incident in 1989 or 1990. That roommate, Michael Wetstone, who is now an architect, confirmed Appold’s account and said, “It stood out in our minds because it was a shocking story of transgression.” Appold said that he initially asked to remain anonymous because he hoped to make contact first with the classmate who, to the best of his recollection, told him about the party and was an eyewitness to the incident. He said that he had not been able to get any response from that person, despite multiple attempts to do so. The New Yorker reached the classmate, but he said that he had no memory of the incident.

Appold reached out to the Bureau last weekend but did not hear back. Frustrated, he submitted a statement through an F.B.I. Web portal. During his first year at Yale, Appold lived in the basement of Lawrance Hall, one of the university’s freshman dormitories. He was in the same suite of bedrooms as Kavanaugh, sharing a common room. Appold said of Kavanaugh, “We didn’t hang out together, but there was no animosity between us either.” He said he believes that “there were two sides to Brett.” Those who have described the judge as studious and somewhat reserved or shy are correct, he said. He added, “that was true part of the time, but so are the other things that have been said about him. He drank a lot, and when he was drinking he could be aggressive, and belligerent. He wasn’t beating people up, but there was an edge and an obnoxiousness that I could see at the hearings. When I saw clips”—of Kavanaugh’s Senate testimony—“I remembered it immediately.”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...mer-classmates
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-04-2018 at 09:48 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Recognizing that none of us can be certain of these accounts, weighing the evidence available to me I would say that there is an over 90% chance that Kavanaugh did something along the lines of what Ford and Ramirez have described. And also an over 90% chance he has perjured himself in his denials. And something like a 99% probability he has perjured himself on smaller incidental matters such as calling Devil's Triangle a drinking game.

Let's call a spade a spade. He was a boorish drunk whose behavior very likely crossed over a line that disqualifies him from a seat on the Supreme Court.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Does the FBI report not seemingly supporting any of the Dems theories change anything for anyone?
    I've always contended that he will be confirmed. We'll just have to see on Flake, Collins, and Murkowski. I don't agree with Flake a lot, but he does have some backbone. There will never be a chapter in the revised edition of Profiles in Courage for Collins and she'll get attacked whatever she does, but I think she'd prefer getting attacked from the left as opposed to the right, so my guess is she'll vote to confirm. I have no idea on Murkowski.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    As a moderate conservative with libertarian leanings, I'm happy with the selection of Kavanaugh. I think he'll be a bit more conservative than Roberts but not as conservative as Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch. Not that conventional liberal-conservative categories are always a useful way of looking at the issues that come before the court. Certainly, in terms of credentials, intellect and temperament, Kavanaugh seems to be well qualified. I would say the same of candidates that were not located at the same point in the political spectrum if they met the requirements. Garland was well qualified. Gorsuch too.
    In case anyone mistakes me for a wild-eyed leftist, the above is my post on page 4 of this thread.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I've always contended that he will be confirmed. We'll just have to see on Flake, Collins, and Murkowski. I don't agree with Flake a lot, but he does have some backbone. There will never be a chapter in the revised edition of Profiles in Courage for Collins and she'll get attacked whatever she does, but I think she'd prefer getting attacked from the left as opposed to the right, so my guess is she'll vote to confirm. I have no idea on Murkowski.
    I think Murkowski is the most likely to vote no on Kavanaugh. Collins the least likely. Flake somewhere in the middle. Very good chance Flake is the decisive vote.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I think Murkowski is the most likely to vote no on Kavanaugh. Collins the least likely. Flake somewhere in the middle. Very good chance Flake is the decisive vote.
    Flake has presidential aspirations and will likely need support from GOP sources that would not be happy with him if he torpedoed Kavanaugh. Flake is, to me, the most likely to vote yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Flake has presidential aspirations and will likely need support from GOP sources that would not be happy with him if he torpedoed Kavanaugh. Flake is, to me, the most likely to vote yes.
    To his credit he did send a check to the Democratic candidate running against Roy Moore.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Did anyone not see the FBI investigation playing out this way? It was 36 years ago (meaning no physical or digital evidence was possible) and virtually everyone involved had already made a sworn statement. This investigation was never about finding new evidence. It was about moderate Republicans wanting political cover and Democrats wanting to stall in hopes they could find something new or that the fatigue of constant news cycles would take their toll.

The Dems even knew that the investigation finding nothing wouldn't hurt them because they could always scream about the scope of the investigation, its speed, and still be able to say there's no evidence against Ford's statement.

This is a political game we're watching. I just ask people not to be hoodwinked into thinking there are people with the moral high ground. I assure you, no one in this affair has any moral high ground.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-04-2018), Jaw (10-04-2018), Tapate50 (10-04-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Did anyone not see the FBI investigation playing out this way? It was 36 years ago (meaning no physical or digital evidence was possible) and virtually everyone involved had already made a sworn statement. This investigation was never about finding new evidence. It was about moderate Republicans wanting political cover and Democrats wanting to stall in hopes they could find something new or that the fatigue of constant news cycles would take their toll.

The Dems even knew that the investigation finding nothing wouldn't hurt them because they could always scream about the scope of the investigation, its speed, and still be able to say there's no evidence against Ford's statement.

This is a political game we're watching. I just ask people not to be hoodwinked into thinking there are people with the moral high ground. I assure you, no one in this affair has any moral high ground.
    Agree. Anyone who still clings to the fiction that the Supreme Court is somehow above politics can discard of that notion.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-04-2018), Tapate50 (10-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    In case anyone mistakes me for a wild-eyed leftist, the above is my post on page 4 of this thread.
    I remember that post, because I was honestly surprised to see you refer to yourself as conservative. Not that I would call you a leftist, but I have had the impression that your desire to distance yourself from all things Trump has pushed you leftward.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I can't think of many nationally known Republicans with less chance of winning the nomination. I wonder if he realizes that ship has sailed or if he'll cling to the idea.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    In light of the things sturg was called in this thread, I thought it relevant to look at his first post related to Kavanaugh.
    Go get him!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (10-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I remember that post, because I was honestly surprised to see you refer to yourself as conservative. Not that I would call you a leftist, but I have had the impression that your desire to distance yourself from all things Trump has pushed you leftward.
    I don't think the advent of Trump has pushed me leftward on any issues. I am still pro life. Hawkish on national security/foreign policy issues. I favor some redistribution via the tax code and various assistance programs, but designed in a way to minimize distortions to economic incentives. I want our immigration laws enforced, but generally see immigration as a plus for the country.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Of the supposed frontrunners, he was my least favorite due to his ties to the Starr investigation and the GWB administration. I was hoping for Hardiman.

Agreed with nsacpi that he is very well qualified.
    This was my first post re:Kavanaugh
    Go get him!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I can't think of many nationally known Republicans with less chance of winning the nomination. I wonder if he realizes that ship has sailed or if he'll cling to the idea.
    Flake's only chance is if Trump does something totally unforgivable politically that would give Flake the chance at an "I told you so" moment, but that is unlikely. Flake has impeccable conservative credentials, but I too wonder if the era of that stripe has gone the way of the political dinosaur.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 10-04-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I don't think there's any question that any of the shortlist candidates were "qualified." I just don't think it's worth overlooking the fact that this will be the second SC Justice nominated by a president who lost the popular vote, and approved by a Senate who represents a minority of the population. All legal and above-board, yes, but it's worth asking whether we're being governed, in this case, by the minority. That fact makes me look a tad more favorably on the generally ****ty resistance tactics to judicial nominees.
    Julio's first Kavanaugh post.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    and this is what is at the heart of Bookers "grandstanding"

Kavanaugh Is Pressed to Explain Previously Secret Email on Abortion Rights

“I am not sure that all legal scholars refer to Roe as the settled law of the land at the Supreme Court level,” Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh wrote in 2003 about the Roe v. Wade abortion ruling.
    That message appeared to contradict testimony from the Supreme Court nominee on Wednesday, when he said he considered Roe “settled as a precedent.”

To my knowledge the 2003 email was held back from the public.
    If Kavanaugh had a change of heart, let him explain that.
    Doesn't seem to be the case.

One other thing on Kavanaugh, you could throw a rock in the (R) judicial pool and find any jurist willing to deregulate, allow corporations to anonymously donate to political campaigns and/or restrict abortion.etc etc etc

Why Kavanaugh?
    Prescient question by 57 early in the Kavanaugh fiasco.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Flake's only chance is if Trump does something totally unforgivable politically that would give Flake the chance at an "I told you so" moment, but that is unlikely. Flake has impeccable conservative credentials, but I too wonder if the era of that stripe has gone the way of the political dinosaur.
    I think there is a good chance Trump does that, but I would expect Congressional Republicans to quickly impeach him if that happens. They have to prefer the idea of working with President Pence, and removing Trump would remove the most motivating factor for Democratic voter enthusiasm. I'm somewhat surprised they haven't already done it, but maybe they think Trump voters can get them through the midterms.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I once lost a $50 bill and my ever alert SIL asked "did you look in your pocket ?"
    Been thinking about that this morning
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I don't think the advent of Trump has pushed me leftward on any issues. I am still pro life. Hawkish on national security/foreign policy issues. I favor some redistribution via the tax code and various assistance programs, but designed in a way to minimize distortions to economic incentives. I want our immigration laws enforced, but generally see immigration as a plus for the country.
    Off topic here, but where are you on free trade vs. tariff protection? That was something that kept me a Democrat back in the Blue Dog days, but they've moved away from me there as well.
    Go get him!